Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By hickerx2
  • 2 Post By 300winmag
  • 3 Post By 300winmag

Thread: Black powder question???

Private

Default Black powder question???

I can't find anything about this and no way in hell am I going to call the state police. Do we need to have a nics check done to transfer a muzzleloader? Or did the laws not change regarding them.

I would think so now that private transfers are now illegal even though a muzzleloader is a bad ass mass murder weapon of mass distruction

I don't believe any laws have changed in regards to blackpowder rifles. I have not read anything in the SAFE Act that has anything to do with blackpowder firearms. You can call the hotline and find out for sure, which is what I would do..

Private

I guess I will call hope they don't give me a stupid answer. I will post what they say.

Private

Just called and was told laws did not change for black powder. Can be transferred without a nics check

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrapper View Post
    You can call the hotline and find out for sure
    That there sir, is an oxymoron
    ZuluDelta likes this.

You do not need a background check for traditional muzzleloaders (kentucky rifles, muskets, cap and ball revolvers), but you do need one for in-lines. Bought a reproduction remington zouave rifle musket at the gun show this weekend. Did not need the background check. In fact I've ordered traditional muzzleloaders online and they shipped right to my door without an ffl.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckyrifleman View Post
    You do not need a background check for traditional muzzleloaders (kentucky rifles, muskets, cap and ball revolvers), but you do need one for in-lines. Bought a reproduction remington zouave rifle musket at the gun show this weekend. Did not need the background check. In fact I've ordered traditional muzzleloaders online and they shipped right to my door without an ffl.
    Not true (I'm not saying you didn't go through a background check, only that it's not necessary). The exception to that are the TC's, the mossberg, and any other muzzleloader that can also use a barrel for a cartridge

Private

According to the hot line all muzzle loader laws have not changed. I'm sure if I call again I would get a different answer. I am going with the answer I recieved with my first call. Maybe I will be lucky or the next to get locked up.
    Burzum and ZuluDelta like this.

Okay, to make sure I have this right, the Albany Emperor will allow me to order that flintlock Brown Bess, but ammo for it will be logged into the registry after 1/14 and cannot be shipped to my door?
    Member: NRA, Second Amendment Foundation, S.C.O.P.E.

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.... moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." Mr. Conservative - Sen. Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Burzum View Post
    Okay, to make sure I have this right, the Albany Emperor will allow me to order that flintlock Brown Bess, but ammo for it will be logged into the registry after 1/14 and cannot be shipped to my door?
    No, I don't think that is a correct assumption. Of course I could be wrong, but, I am thinking the only ammo that needs a background check is that ammo that is ready to shoot, ie, has the bullet, powder and primer in one ready to use unit. Blackpowder would not fall into that category as it is not ready to shoot as is..I do know you can buy shots that have the correct powder, ball ect, but you still have to manually load them. I am basing this on the idea that you don't need a nics check for reloading componets..yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Burzum View Post
    You mean those big round lead balls that could technically be used in a ball mill and not necessarily classified as ammunition hint hint wink wink?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by drsfmd View Post
    Not true (I'm not saying you didn't go through a background check, only that it's not necessary). The exception to that are the TC's, the mossberg, and any other muzzleloader that can also use a barrel for a cartridge
    This again is in relation to only those weapons that have the ability to interchange barrels, so that a blackpowder weapon could not only shoot a blackpowder round, but also have the barrel changed and shoot another caliber such as a 223, ect..

Private

I never thought I would live behind the iron curtain.
    Foxtrapper, Robin and ZuluDelta like this.