Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Fasten your seat belts: Di Blasio says Bloomberg did not go far enough on gun control

  1. #1
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default Fasten your seat belts: Di Blasio says Bloomberg did not go far enough on gun control

    NEW YORK -- While mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg sent his police force after guns on the streets, launched sting operations against gun shows, andpumped millions of dollars of his own money into defeating gun control opponents at the polls.
    His name is now uttered as a curse on right-wing talk radio. But Democratic mayoral nominee Bill de Blasio told HuffPost in an interview Friday that Bloomberg's laudable approach on gun control was ultimately hampered by his politics.
    "I think he's been right on gun control, right on immigration reform and right on climate change. I think in several cases there was a sort of incompleteness to the approach," de Blasio said.
    "I think on gun control we have to go after the money supply to manufacturers of guns and ammunition," he said, suggesting cutting off public pension investments to those companies so they can't "fund the industry that then turns around and funds the NRA."
    De Blasio, the current public advocate, supported that divestment approach as a trustee of the city's pension fund. The mayor's office objected, stating that politics and pension planning shouldn't mix, but ultimately lost the argument.
    "We can implicitly say that is not the approach Michael Bloomberg likes to take, because he's a free-marketeer," de Blasio said. "He does not like to see government interfere in that fashion. So amen for what he did on gun control. I think we should go the next step."
    Marc Lavorgna, a city spokesman, said the mayor's office was "not commenting on candidate proposals."

  2. #2
    Major catskillkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sullivan
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Glad I'm not part of the NYC retirement system. Those poor souls will probably see their pensions take a hit. It may not be catastrophic, but still...

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Albany, NY, the vampire state
    Posts
    409

    Default

    vomit
    RSBH44 likes this.

  4. #4
    Silver Vendor WARFAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catskillkid View Post
    Glad I'm not part of the NYC retirement system. Those poor souls will probably see their pensions take a hit. It may not be catastrophic, but still...
    NY public worker pensions are in trouble no matter what they do. The state is in a financial death spiral with far more takers than makers.

    This article makes me sick on so many levels. It's quite obvious that these politicians have no interest in actually serving the population. The seem quite convinced that it is their job to attempt to control us as they see fit. How is it that morons like this get anywhere near an elected office?

  5. #5
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WARFAB View Post
    NY public worker pensions are in trouble no matter what they do. The state is in a financial death spiral with far more takers than makers.

    This article makes me sick on so many levels. It's quite obvious that these politicians have no interest in actually serving the population. The seem quite convinced that it is their job to attempt to control us as they see fit. How is it that morons like this get anywhere near an elected office?
    First of all you are completely wrong as to the pension fund. It is fully funded for all current and future obligations. Don't drink the EJ McMahon Kool Aide. No one is losing their pension, besides which they are guaranteed in the State Constitution and can never be reduced.

    That being said, the problem with this article is that the City does not own the Pension funds. The MEMBERS own pension funds. The trustees have a FIDUCIARY DUTY to the members to maximize returns. As well, the ALSO have a FIDUCIARY DUTY to the TAXPAYERS to maximize returns, because the TAXPAYERS make up any deficits, NOT the members.

    So there is no legal basis, NONE whatsoever, to allow the trustees to engage in social engineering using the MEMBERS funds.

    If they lose money, the members AND the taxpayers could probably bring lawsuits against the trustees personally, as long as it does not get heard by a liberal activist Judge.
    CrackSlinger likes this.

  6. #6
    General thecelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    11,350

    Default

    He's got the clintons behind him and is pretty much all but guaranteed the spot. The city is screwed with this mutt.
    .357MagNYC likes this.
    SCOPENY-NRA-SAF
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO
    "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."

    Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach!


  7. #7
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thecelt View Post
    He's got the clintons behind him and is pretty much all but guaranteed the spot. The city is screwed with this mutt.
    Truth be told, the other guy is not much better.

  8. #8
    Major minderasr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Putnam County
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    de Blasio couldn't be a bigger commie if he had the hammer and sickle tattooed to his forehead. Unfortunately Lhota (RINO) is not much better. Two peas in a pod. It's sad that these two clowns are the best they could come up with to run NYC.
    Phazer, Toecutter and scosgt like this.
    Jim

    NRA Life Member, NYSRPA, S.C.O.P.E., SAF, GOA
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Major Aquadoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk County
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Look at it this way. NYC is going the way of Detroit. When the pension system fails they will be able to say that it was for the noble cause of gun control and not from corrupt management. Maybe they want the pensioners to be too poor to buy ammunition?
    Endowment Member NRA
    Life Member SAF
    Member NYSRPA
    Member S.C.O.P.E.

  10. #10
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquadoc View Post
    Look at it this way. NYC is going the way of Detroit. When the pension system fails they will be able to say that it was for the noble cause of gun control and not from corrupt management. Maybe they want the pensioners to be too poor to buy ammunition?
    The pension system is not failing and is Constitutionally protected at the State level.
    Please get off that soapbox. It just makes you appear uninformed.

  11. #11
    Corporal bruzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rockville Centre
    Posts
    153

    Default

    and what else did you expect the wannabe sandinista to say? don't worry, when the feral yutes start wilding again, even the libtard zombies will wake up.
    .357MagNYC and scosgt like this.

  12. #12
    Major Christos12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Capital District
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    What a dimwit. Does he actually think that gun manufacturers are dependent on taxpayer money? Ruger is #5 of Forbes best companies to invest in.

    They don't need pension investments, they're hardly starving.

  13. #13
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christos12 View Post
    What a dimwit. Does he actually think that gun manufacturers are dependent on taxpayer money? Ruger is #5 of Forbes best companies to invest in.

    They don't need pension investments, they're hardly starving.
    That's right!
    He is shafting the pension members and taxpayers of NYC and NYS, NOT the gun companies.

  14. #14
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dutchess
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Its the second coming of Dinkins.......
    "Enhance yor calm " Dr. Raymond Cocteau Demolition Man

  15. #15
    Silver Vendor WARFAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    First of all you are completely wrong as to the pension fund. It is fully funded for all current and future obligations. Don't drink the EJ McMahon Kool Aide. No one is losing their pension, besides which they are guaranteed in the State Constitution and can never be reduced.
    OK, I really have no idea specifically about the NYS pensions so I'll take your word for it that they're fully funded.

    What I do know is that the state is in a financial death spiral. Between the Forbes magazine article saying so ( Do You Live In A Death Spiral State? - Forbes ), the generous entitlement programs, and the declining business activity, I don't think many people would argue that NYS is in a great financial situation.

    So my question is: if the state is broke and just runs out of money, what good is a state constitution guarantee on the pensions? Did NYS do a better job of keeping the pensions separate from other funds than the feds did with Social Security? Serious questions. Just looking to learn about the state of the state.

  16. #16
    Major RSBH44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    onondaga
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bleu View Post
    vomit
    Free Men Do Not Ask Permission To Bear Arms.

  17. #17
    Major Aquadoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk County
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    The pension system is not failing and is Constitutionally protected at the State level.
    Please get off that soapbox. It just makes you appear uninformed.
    If the state fails what good is a Constitutional mandate?

    You are the one who is uninformed:
    New York State Pension $71 Billion Underfunded, Empire Center Report Says - Bloomberg
    New York pensioners are expecting continued taxpayer support, but what happens when there are too few taxpayers left to support the public unions? Public unions are destroying us! Extensive benefits, early retirement on disability, inflated retirement package based on last year of service income.......the public union gravy train can't last forever.

    I'll stay on the soapbox, thanks.
    Last edited by Aquadoc; 10-22-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    Endowment Member NRA
    Life Member SAF
    Member NYSRPA
    Member S.C.O.P.E.

  18. #18
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WARFAB View Post
    OK, I really have no idea specifically about the NYS pensions so I'll take your word for it that they're fully funded.

    What I do know is that the state is in a financial death spiral. Between the Forbes magazine article saying so ( Do You Live In A Death Spiral State? - Forbes ), the generous entitlement programs, and the declining business activity, I don't think many people would argue that NYS is in a great financial situation.

    So my question is: if the state is broke and just runs out of money, what good is a state constitution guarantee on the pensions? Did NYS do a better job of keeping the pensions separate from other funds than the feds did with Social Security? Serious questions. Just looking to learn about the state of the state.
    To try to answer that in a coherent way, YES, this State acts like it wants to crash and burn.

    However, it does IN FACT have a balanced budget at this time. So the road to bankruptcy is NOT paved with balanced budgets.

    As well, there is NO mechanism in the Constitution or Federal Law for a State to declare bankruptcy. In our system of Government, a State is in fact a Sovereign Government, with the power to levy and collect taxes.

    There is a Second Circuit decision, NOT overturned by SCOTUS on appeal, that states, in essence, that if the State needs money it can raise taxes. THEREFORE it can NOT impair a contract, which is forbidden to STATES in the US Constitution.

    The case is titled something like "Association of Court Reporters" and I have in the past found it on Google.

    So the answer to your question, probably, is that if the State somehow did run out of money (a concept I reject because a Sovereign Government with an annual budget of around $145,000,000 can NOT be out of money, it can only be spending on the wrong things) they would have to do layoffs or furloughs or stop welfare or Medicaid or school funding or something. It is not a case of not having money, it is a case of too much stealing and sending it to places it does not belong.

    As far as the Common Pension Fund, I believe it had a rate of return for the last year of around 10%.
    epthorn likes this.

  19. #19
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Stafford, NY
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Since gun crime has been decreasing overall in this country, there is a possibility that it could continue to go down regardless of the SAFE act which the anti-gunners would pounce upon. We already see what his policies will be. State-wide statistics are likely to go the opposite way under his administration. So much for the SAFE Act having any viable statics, the opposite will true.

  20. #20
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquadoc View Post
    If the state fails what good is a Constitutional mandate?

    You are the ine who is uninformed:
    New York State Pension $71 Billion Underfunded, Empire Center Report Says - Bloomberg
    New York pensioners are expecting continued taxpayer support, but what happens when there are too few taxpayers left to support the public unions? Public unions are destroying us! Extensive benefits, early retirement on disability.......the public union gravy train can't last for ever.

    I'll stay on the soapbox, thanks.
    Empire center is EJ McMahon. He is full of it.
    AND
    He collects a taxpayer funded State pension.

    He is a shill for CEOs and hates all public employees. His numbers are made up and he is a liar.

  21. #21
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WNYSmallFarm View Post
    Since gun crime has been decreasing overall in this country, there is a possibility that it could continue to go down regardless of the SAFE act which the anti-gunners would pounce upon. We already see what his policies will be. State-wide statistics are likely to go the opposite way under his administration. So much for the SAFE Act having any viable statics, the opposite will true.
    Huh?
    He is running for Mayor, not Governor.

    With the end of SQF, the crime stats are about to go through the roof. In NYC. Which for the most part has been more restrictive than SAFE for years.

  22. #22
    General scosgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    5,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquadoc View Post
    If the state fails what good is a Constitutional mandate?

    You are the ine who is uninformed:
    New York State Pension $71 Billion Underfunded, Empire Center Report Says - Bloomberg
    New York pensioners are expecting continued taxpayer support, but what happens when there are too few taxpayers left to support the public unions? Public unions are destroying us! Extensive benefits, early retirement on disability, inflated retirement package based on last year of service income.......the public union gravy train can't last forever.

    I'll stay on the soapbox, thanks.
    Oh by the way you quoted a report from 2010 that states that the 7.5% rate of return can not be met. In fact, it was over 10% last year.
    So much for the EJ McMahon BS.

  23. #23
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Stafford, NY
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    Huh?
    He is running for Mayor, not Governor.

    With the end of SQF, the crime stats are about to go through the roof. In NYC. Which for the most part has been more restrictive than SAFE for years.
    That is exactly what I said. State wide (which does include NYC) statistics will spike just like they did under his old boss Dinkins. The SAFE Act implementation will correspond with his policies taking effect. No chance Andy can strut around any numbers.

  24. #24
    Colonel SomeSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Erie
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    NYC and all those counties associated with it are a cancer and need to be cute away from the healthy part of NY. Let them die on their own.
    Dr. Evil likes this.
    Disclosure: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

  25. #25
    Silver Vendor WARFAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    As well, there is NO mechanism in the Constitution or Federal Law for a State to declare bankruptcy. In our system of Government, a State is in fact a Sovereign Government, with the power to levy and collect taxes.
    I didn't say anything about bankruptcy, I just figure at some point the state will pass the point of no return. NYS does have the power to tax as much as it wants, but NYS citizens aren't required to stay here and pay the taxes. If taxes continue to be raised to pay for the state's spending (on lots of the wrong things) people will continue to move away. The fact that NYS lost electoral votes in the last census would seem to support the fact that we're losing population. As the population continues to shrink, the tax rates will have to continue to rise to maintain the same level of revenue. Hence the idea of a "death spiral". Obviously politicians have the power to reverse all of this and get us back on the right track. Hopefully they do.

    I generally assume that any time you mix money and politicians bad things happen. I made an assumption about the state pensions. I hope that I'm just overly pessimistic and you're right.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pro Gun Legislator Takes House Seat From Dems After Gun Control Passage
    By Dr. Evil in forum Laws and Politics - Firearms/Self Defense/Weapons
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM
  2. Fasten your seat belts kids, it's going to be a rough ride
    By jmac00 in forum Laws and Politics - Firearms/Self Defense/Weapons
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
  3. NRA-ILA: Bloomberg wants more gun control
    By nyfirearms in forum News Feeds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM
  4. NRA-ILA: Bloomberg underwriting new gun control ads
    By nyfirearms in forum News Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM
  5. NRA-ILA: Bloomberg Tries Again On Gun Control
    By nyfirearms in forum News Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •