New York Firearms Forum banner

Police Kill Homeless Man (Caught On Tape)

9K views 202 replies 54 participants last post by  rnemhrd 
#1 ·
#39 ·
That and the AR-15's filled with hollow points.

I'm usually a supporter of law enforcement, but I think it's time that certain departments get a little gun control of their own. Rifles are for when someone else is shooting back at you, not something to be pulled out and paraded around the moment an order comes out. They riddled the neighborhood where the Boston bomber was hiding in that boat for no reason whatsoever, I think it's time the 'salt weapons and 30 round clipazines went back into the police armory gun rack until there's a real reason for them to come out.

#3 ·
the title is misleading. It was the knife in his hand . The argument could be made that they should have used the bean bag rounds first. it looked like they could have tried that first but I wasn't there and could see what/who was off camera. i don't know their department guidelines. It looked like the first shot was a warning shot (i could be wrong) because the dirt flying up and the guy didn't drop. That's against most downstate dept guidelines that i know of. but many departments in other places allow that.

#155 ·
It was a good shoot, he was clearly coming right for them.

This was a man that posed a serious danger to society as a whole.

Justified, for sure.

Bean bags would not have been a good choice against two knives.

</sarcasm>

Ummmm... yes, he had knives and refused orders.

I guess I am unaware of the law that allows officers to use deadly force whenever a citizen does not comply.

Perhaps someone can reference this law for me?

Under what authority is the use of deadly force authorized for contempt of cop, especially when his back is turned?

I have the utmost respect for police officers, I fear the militarization of our police force.

I do not lump all LEO's in the same bucket, but I have to question this shooting being justified.

#4 ·
He was a threat to the officers? How? He was standing there not moving when the shots were fired. Again the police chief justified the shooting. These officers are a disgrace to all the good officers out there and hopefully they will be fired.

#7 ·
Let's not forget there's a feel good story about a good cop in a thread posted nearly the same time... it's sad that the bad cops get all the attention, but that's human nature i guess.

Just like teachers, the few bads ones dominate the headlines while most of them go to work and do their best to make a difference. If the Unions were as proactive at policing themselves as protecting members, they wouldn't get the bad rap they do... unfortunately i hear all the time about the bad teachers and what a pain they are... from my wife.... who is a teacher. The union is as big a part of the problem as is the leadership who should be managing bad employees out of the organization, no matter how strong the union is.

#10 ·
Let's not forget there's a feel good story about a good cop in a thread posted nearly the same time... it's sad that the bad cops get all the attention, but that's human nature i guess.
I completely agree iggy, but how many more "comply or die" shootings do we need to witness before admitting there is a SERIOUS problem with LE in this country as it relates to using deadly force. That man was murdered in cold blood.

#8 ·
They used lethal force when they had other means. They shot him with bean bags after he was killed. The 2 knives looked like 3" maybe. The one officer fired into the dirt in front of him I think. What the ****.

#14 ·
The guy was turning to lay down 20+ feet from them on a rocky hill. On that terrain he wouldn't be able to close the distance and scratch them with that 3" knife. They already had their evil black rifles ready so he didn't surprise them. They flash banged him, shot him, let the dog go, then hit him with bean bags. I hope all these guys die in a fire

#15 ·
The ALBUQUERQUE News journal reports that:

Dispatchers also told officers arriving at the scene that Boyd was a "transient that is known to frequent public libraries" and that he had an "extensive criminal history of aggravated battery on peace officers in various jurisdictions."

The police chief also stated:
Albuquerque police chief: 6 shots fired at suspect - SFGate

"Eden said police responding to a suspicious-person call found Boyd sleeping at what looked like an illegal makeshift camp. Eden said Boyd later claimed to be a federal agent and demanded to see officers with New Mexico State Police, who he also threatened to kill."

"Eden said many of Boyd's prior arrests were for violent crimes, including a December 2010 arrest on charges he punched a female officer and fractured her nose at a city library"

He cites Tennessee v. Garner because it was an armed fleeing felon as opposed to a unarmed fleeing felon. I don't know their department guidelines are.

I wouldn't have run after this guy with the knife either but the less lethal could have been given more of chance before the warning shot if it was a warning. That could have been a less than lethal. i don't know.

Some departments have guidelines against using less than lethal on armed suspects.

#16 ·
With this type of evidence if they don't all get convicted of murder and imprisoned I totally give up on this country.

#18 ·
Okay. It was flash bang. Not a warning shot. Bean Bag should have been next or Taser depending on their guidelines. Unless they do shoot armed fleeing felons out there.

The 21 foot rule was in effect when the shoots were fired. The cainine officer closed the distance before actual gun fire occurred and was definitely closer than 15 feet. He was in lunge-able distance of the knife. The question is why he closed the distance? Was because the dog was released or got away from him? That's the glaring mistake in this one. Look at the tape again.

#20 ·
All this over a $10 dollar citation. One of the officers who fired should have not had a weapon to begin with based on the article. The homeless man did have a knife but seems he never posed a real threat to the officers based on the video. A life over a 10 dollar ticket???....barf

#42 ·
What a bunch of cowards. After he is shot multiple times they bean bag him and let the dog loose. I'm sorry but grow a pair or pick another profession. You could have walked up and stepped on his hand. The calmness in their voices after just committing a homicide is disturbing. Three coward sociopaths.

"Sandy was hired by APD in 2007 after he was fired by New Mexico State Police over a scandal. He was accused of fraud and collecting payment for private security work while on the clock for State Police.

When APD hired Sandy, they claimed he would be a civilian employee and he wouldn't have a gun or a badge."

What is with dept's hiring complete S$it birds that were fired from other dept's?

#44 ·
I'm not gonna Monday morning quarterback the officer's decisions. But at first glance - the shooting doesn't appear to be a good one. This one should, at minimum, be investigated by the state police and go to the grand jury.

The deceased was already known to police as someone with severe mental illness - so it shouldn't be a surprise that he was gonna be difficult to deal with in the first place (sounds like they negotiated with him for hours prior to this). Police officers need better training on dealing with these types of folks. Of course they're not going to instantly comply with demands being screamed at them - for starters, they don't process information the same way we do.

On the other hand - you don't have a stand-off with a mentally ill guy with a pocket knife for hours on end over a $10 ticket. Write the ticket, place it on the ground, use a rock for paperweight - and if he doesn't show up to court, issue a bench warrant. If it was necessary to remove him from the area - sure, pepper ball, taser, whatever it takes if he resists - especially if he has a pocket knife in his hand. But from pictures that were taken earlier - there's a lot of cops there with weapons drawn on just one guy. A bit overkill methinks.

#52 ·
I'm not gonna Monday morning quarterback the officer's decisions. But at first glance - the shooting doesn't appear to be a good one. This one should, at minimum, be investigated by the state police and go to the grand jury.

The deceased was already known to police as someone with severe mental illness - so it shouldn't be a surprise that he was gonna be difficult to deal with in the first place (sounds like they negotiated with him for hours prior to this). Police officers need better training on dealing with these types of folks. Of course they're not going to instantly comply with demands being screamed at them - for starters, they don't process information the same way we do.

On the other hand - you don't have a stand-off with a mentally ill guy with a pocket knife for hours on end over a $10 ticket. Write the ticket, place it on the ground, use a rock for paperweight - and if he doesn't show up to court, issue a bench warrant. If it was necessary to remove him from the area - sure, pepper ball, taser, whatever it takes if he resists - especially if he has a pocket knife in his hand. But from pictures that were taken earlier - there's a lot of cops there with weapons drawn on just one guy. A bit overkill methinks.
it wasn't over a ticket. He threatened cops and has a history of violence and is mentally unstable. He has to be taken in. Imagine if they wrote a ticket and walked away. Two days or two hours later he stabs someone. What would we be saying then.

Some reports say this was the unit trained to deal with emotionally diatribed people. I would get two or three 911 calls related to emotionally diatribed people a day because the hospitals/pysch wards release them in days if not hours from the last incident. This guy with his history should have been in psych ward to begin with. This incident wasn't just over a ticket. Who called the police and why? Oh, right, he was causing a disturbance because he's crazy.

#47 ·
Is there any reason they could not have used the bean bags first ? Im not seeing an immediate or imminent threat to anyone's life.

#50 ·
Murder.

They have non leathal weapons and use them after they light him up with AR15s?

they use bean bags AFTER the guy is on the ground, bleeding out and dies.

because this... Makes sense?

in before the "as long as they got home safe" post, attempting to justify murder.

#54 ·
Murder.

They have non leathal weapons and use them after they light him up with AR15s?

they use bean bags AFTER the guy is on the ground, bleeding out and dies.

because this... Makes sense?

in before the "as long as they got home safe" post, attempting to justify murder.
i understand the use of the less than lethal after the initial shooting because the knife was still in his hand. Why they didn't use the bean bags first, I don't understand or the taser before a flash bang. That I don't understand. Taser shotgun as opposed to regular taser whose wire length would put them in danger.
Was the first round the shotgun taser round mentioned in the article and the other rounds was contagious fire. I am curious what the actual order of shots were.

The canine officer was definitely in the danger zone but why?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.