New York Firearms Forum banner

LA Police Want Exemption From Terrible LA Gun Storage Law

5K views 89 replies 24 participants last post by  truebeliever2013 
#1 ·
#7 ·
That New York gun storage law that passed the Assembly and went to the Senate isn't much different.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm sure that as soon as they are done pleading their case, the police will stand side by side with and be just as vocal to have law abiding gun owners exempt from the same terrible law.

sarcasm
They said they were on our side! That's why they asked for us all to be exempted.

Refused to enforce this law?

Demanded a repeal?

Objected to the board?

Went on strike?

Nothing? Oh yeah.

We're talking about cops that checked open carrier's guns to ensure they were unloaded.

Worthless.

#20 ·
Too bad they don't live in NY State, they WOULD have an exemption.

Too bad they can't be one vocal voice for all gun owners. How about what is good for the goose is good for the gander?

This is the problem with ALL guns laws across the US, every group is out for themselves.

Shame all of us can't be on the same wave length!

#22 ·
I don't pay my union to advocate for civilians and I don't expect them to. That is the individual's choice, not the union which exists for, and better spend all of its energy on, our concerns only.

My NRA membership Is to support outside advocacy. My act of waking up each morning makes me a POS to some fellow gun owners. I don't want my union dues advocating for those who daily seek to create an environment which endangers my life via the other issues they support.

#23 · (Edited)
I don't pay my union to advocate for civilians and I don't expect them to. That is the individual's choice, not the union which exists for, and better spend all of its energy on, our concerns only.

My NRA membership Is to support outside advocacy. My act of waking up each morning makes me a POS to some fellow gun owners. I don't want my union dues advocating for those who daily seek to create an environment which endangers my life via the other issues they support.
You became a civilian the day you separated from the Army.

Your last comment on advocating an environment which endangers your life clearly states that you do not view yourself as a regular citizen. Illegally stopping and frisking and detaining and or collaring citizens for rights that are protected by the constitution whether it endangers your life or not while working is unacceptable even if it makes your job safer. You can always find another method of employment that maintains a NYCERS pension if the job is too difficult or dangerous for you. I know of plenty of ex NYPD cops who quit and now work for other non law enforcement organizations under the NYCERS umbrella.

While overseas in the military, it is easier to frag and clear each house and shoot everyone not wearing a military uniform to accomplish a mission of rooting out insurgents yet it is not done that way.

I view you as one of the better cops out their based on some of your statements in previous posts and threads. This is not one of them even if it was meant sarcastically because I sense there is truth to your words.

The people are tired of the Police abusing their rights for safety. If you do not do that, then why take it personal? You are not all the police!

#24 · (Edited)
Everything I said was truth.

Too many people cannot separate one issue - stop and frisk - from everything else going on with our elected officials and media and their war on cops. You should know my position on "Stop and Frisk" has always been negative. Besides, WE voluntarily stopped doing it long before the bosses and politicians tried taking credit. In NYC, it is down 93% and the asministration is actually asking for us to start using it again. The individual cop has finally said enough. Our actions are far more decisive on this issue than the politicians' have been.

Constantly harping on it is a misdirection tactic used to further the agenda. Our current negative environment comes from the overall encouragement of lawlessness, the drumbeat of "cops can't be trusted" starting at the President on down, and the flat out lies regarding use of force in every aspect of policing which has the public convinced we're more of a threat the criminals.

When I speak of an unsafe environment I don't mean because we cannot willy-nilly search, arrest, or kill anyone we want. I am referring to the fact that over the past year of "cops are dangerous violent racists", nearly every single arrest we try to make is resulting in resisting and crowds forming, creating danger for EVERYONE involved. Because of this, a lot of serious issues are being ignored. I have people in the projects ask me why we "aren't working" a few times a week now. My blunt answer is "because I'm not going to jail for you." We can't defend ourselves without worrying about the result even if minor injuries occur, so why risk it ever happening? It's simple logic.

It's a pointless argument. Put bluntly, I do considering us different in many ways, because the laws of our land do and always have. We'll never agree on that point.

To the topic at hand, my opinion will never change. Our advocacy groups are for US and no one else. Our unions owe nothing to anyone besides the membership.

#28 ·
To the topic at hand, my opinion will never change. Our advocacy groups are for US and no one else. Our unions owe nothing to anyone besides the membership.
That would be fine if pensions were not funded with tax dollars.

#25 ·
Every union does the same as the other...

The unions mission is to take care of their members. Period.

I would love to see when all groups and individuals can come together for the issues concerning the 2A. Our Governments have created this huge divide between cops and the rest of society. There have always been abuse of power within the ranks and there has always been some tension between police and society, Never like it is now. I fault all parties involved in that divide. Most of the blame goes to the Government and the Media. (They go hand in hand these days)

Keep watching the news and videos on Youtube, keep that hate for LE strong.

Oh and BTW, I don't know any coppers who think that the current restrictions for the populace are good. Not one.

#27 ·
Oh and BTW, I don't know any coppers who think that the current restrictions for the populace are good. Not one.
Are you sure?I know of a few internet coppers that don't fit that description. lmao

Airborne is right though, unions should only be concerned about their members, there are other agencies that should be fighting for all americans.

#32 ·
Airborne, I agree with everything you said about the union. Why would a plumbers union stand up for electricians who don't pay their dues? I get that.

However, I do not agree with the making your job harder in the work environment statement when civil rights are trampled on. I also do not agree with the notion of cops not being civilians no matter who says it enough to make it so. A civilian is a non military, non combatant. Unless there is a war against the people fought by cops, than cops are civilians.

Goperfect, your statement on not knowing any cops who are against restrictions against the populace is naive.

It may well be the case in your environment of day to day living in whatever small town you frequent, but that is not the case in Nyc and other places throughout the nation.

A simple google search on youtube can dedunk that statement.

#33 ·
Airborne, I agree with everything you said about the union. Why would a plumbers union stand up for electricians who don't pay their dues? I get that.

However, I do not agree with the making your job harder in the work environment statement when civil rights are trampled on. I also do not agree with the notion of cops not being civilians no matter who says it enough to make it so. A civilian is a non military, non combatant. Unless there is a war against the people fought by cops, than cops are civilians.

Goperfect, your statement on not knowing any cops who are against restrictions against the populace is naive.

It may well be the case in your environment of day to day operations in whatever small town you frequent, but that is not the case in Nyc and other places throughout the nation.

A simple google search on youtube can dedebudebunkthat statement.
I am only speaking for my department. Not the NYC police department. It is not at all naive of me to know what I know. My department has over 500 officers, and aside from a very small few, I know none who think or feel different than we do here.

#37 ·
So when labor unions fight to get state and federal minimum wages (misguided as it is) increased for everyone, they just didn't get the memo about explicitly wanting change only for their members? Or they didn't read the "How to be a Union" book?

#38 ·
I'm willing to bet any union doing such represents minimum wage workers. Many do, like the hospital workers union for example or the ridiculous union that covers building cleaners here in the city. But if they don't, then they are improperly advocating using their members' dues and are likely doing so after forging inappropriate political relationships with their administration. I've never been a member of a union that advocates issues unrelated to its members and I'd vehemently oppose any future attempts to do so, even if I personally agreed with the agenda.

#39 ·
Perhaps something that would benefit it's members would also benefit others?

Saying "change the minimum wage", not "change the minimum wage for just our members" would do that.

Saying "scrap this law" not "exempt us from this law" would do just that.

#44 · (Edited)
Perhaps something that would benefit it's members would also benefit others?

Saying "change the minimum wage", not "change the minimum wage for just our members" would do that.

Saying "scrap this law" not "exempt us from this law" would do just that.
Not all unions are the same or believe the same thing. NYC is a perfect example. The teacher's union leadership is anti cop to the point that their own members formed a pro-cop group.
NYC teachers, police unions in all-out war | New York Post

NYC Teachers Wear Shirts to Support Cops After Cop Murders Black Man

Most police unions do not support the minimum wage bill at all. It is not for our membership. Seiu and other unions of that type are not very police friendly

The NYC PBA president is anti-gun but the sergeant's union is more reasonable
Sergeant calls for more equipment, gun storage requirements - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

NYPD union challenging NFL's gun ban in stadiums | New York Post

And yes he fights for HIS members and not the general public but other cops and sometimes the general public can piggyback on their successes.

The FOP and LEAA got LEOSA passed. I benefited from it. And yes, I was and still a member. But so did non members. And the most recent obamacare ruling just helps that part of the law. Even better. And it will benefit you the general public because its success can be used to model a national CCW. It took over 10 years to get LEOSA and another 8 to get improvements to it. Hopefully there will be more.

#40 ·
Of course that may be the case on some issues. But the union's responsibility lies elsewhere and should be focused solely on its members. It is as individuals that any and every citizen, whether union or not, should be advocating on pro-2nd Amendment issues.

#57 ·
Apparently some folks believe they can control someones actions just because the person works at Walmart and they shop there.
It is a moot point where a public employees paycheck comes from. It is still THEIR paycheck for services rendered. NOT yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.