Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Bill

Thread: buying gunpowder

Private

Default buying gunpowder

is there a law on the books stating what age i must be to buy powder gander told me 21 but nobody i talk to can find what law they're quoting not sate troopers not ulster county not kingston not town of ulster police nobody

Your post piqued my interest. I found a NY regulation that appears to set an age limit of 18. There could be other laws that also apply -- I don't really know.

12 NYCRR § 39.12 (2011)
    § 39.12 Special provisions relating to black powder

(a) General. (1) The provisions of this section shall apply only in connection with the transportation, storage and sporting use of black powder in quantities of five pounds or less when such powder is used in antique firearms or weapons or replicas thereof.

(2) Persons shall use, store, buy, sell, possess, transport, receive or dispose of black powder only in accordance with the provisions of the Labor Law and of this Part (rule).

. . .

(d) Sporting use. (1) No person shall discharge firearms at, against or within 100 feet of a black powder storage box where such storage box contains five pounds or less of black powder.

(2) Persons over 14 and under 18 years of age shall be allowed to use black powder in firearms for sporting usage if such persons have qualified for or have been duly issued a current New York State hunting license issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Such usage shall be under the direct supervision of such person's parents, guardians or other qualified persons over 18 years of age having written authorizations from the parents or guardians for such supervision.

This whole 21 things needs to go away anyway. It's nothing but nonsense. The age of adult, 18, is now just "Adult Jr." I hate every second of it. I have my AR here with 30 round mags, but God forbid I touch a handgun! Or a beer! (Or gunpowder?) Luckily I have less than 3 months until I am a "real adult" anyway. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    This whole 21 things needs to go away anyway. It's nothing but nonsense. The age of adult, 18, is now just "Adult Jr." I hate every second of it. I have my AR here with 30 round mags, but God forbid I touch a handgun! Or a beer! (Or gunpowder?) Luckily I have less than 3 months until I am a "real adult" anyway. :/
    And your able to join the military yet can't be responsible enough to drink.

This is a very good question since I always wondered what the age requirement was.

James

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    And your able to join the military yet can't be responsible enough to drink.

This is a very good question since I always wondered what the age requirement was.

James
    What really irks me is what keeps getting attached to this 21 nonsense! It first was drinking. Now it's pistols (even pistol grip-only shotguns) and gambling in vegas and even going on certain cruise lines. Anything that will take away more of my rights I vehemently oppose. I think that some of these people think "well, I'm over 21 anyway so it doesn't affect me, why not?"

You can have all my rifles, pistols, shotguns and powder if we switch age
    Les, Evild and merlin82+ like this.
    The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed. NOT EVEN IN NEW YORK

21yrs of age to drink....blood alcohol of .08......more arrests = more money.

Did they refuse to sell it to you? Most stores have a policy these days of 21 and older. Mainly because they don't wanna be bothered to actually know the law so that is their catch all.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    You can have all my rifles, pistols, shotguns and powder if we switch age
    What's funny is people say "don't rush to grow up, enjoy your younger years." I'd stay 20 forever if I could, but it is my rights that are taken away. Give me my rights that you had no business taking in the first place and heck, I'll stay 18 or 17 forever. this "waiting to turn 21" crap is utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by waldershrek
    Did they refuse to sell it to you? Most stores have a policy these days of 21 and older. Mainly because they don't wanna be bothered to actually know the law so that is their catch all.
    *coughWalMartcough*

Private

gander refused me and walmart only refuses handgun ammo for people under 21

Quote Originally Posted by fisher2 View Post
    gander refused me and walmart only refuses handgun ammo for people under 21
    Correction, Fail*Mart INCORRECTLY refuses handgun ammo to lots of people. For me it was first "you are not 21". I explained that it was for use in a rifle (9mm) and then it was "you need a pistol permit". Both utterly untrue and utterly BS, but that is why I despise Fail*Mart.

Refresh my memory.....what is the corporate policy on ammo sales as far as having a permit?

Quote Originally Posted by waldershrek View Post
    Refresh my memory.....what is the corporate policy on ammo sales as far as having a permit?
    For Walmart you have to have a pistol permit in order to buy ANY handgun ammo except rimfire. So if you have a 9mm carbine rifle you still need a permit. Some Walmart's employees ask you when buying handgun ammo if it is for a rifle or pistol before they ask you for a permit. Depending on the schmoe working behind the counter, he/she may just accept you saying rifle or may ask you for a permit but it is a hit or miss. When I first go my permit and bought my .40, the guy asked me if it was for a rifle or pistol and I told him rifle. He said they do not make rifles in .40 cal. I told him it was an old Remington and he sold me the ammo!

James

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    For Walmart you have to have a pistol permit in order to buy ANY handgun ammo except rimfire. So if you have a 9mm carbine rifle you still need a permit. Some Walmart's employees ask you when buying handgun ammo if it is for a rifle or pistol before they ask you for a permit. Depending on the schmoe working behind the counter, he/she may just accept you saying rifle or may ask you for a permit but it is a hit or miss. When I first go my permit and bought my .40, the guy asked me if it was for a rifle or pistol and I told him rifle. He said they do not make rifles in .40 cal. I told him it was an old Remington and he sold me the ammo!

James
    This is also a NEW YORK (and other police states) Fail*Mart policy (free states usually don't do this). I am a victim of the 995 syndrome. Yes, the 995 syndrome, so common at Fail*Mart it is a syndrome. I have heard the "I bought a Hi-point 995 and went to Fail*Mart to buy ammo and I was told to F off. I explained that it was for a rifle and I was told to F off" story so many times it is crazy. But as for the actual law, not Fail*Mart BS (because the actual laws and Fail*Mart have nothing to do with each other) it is that any interchangeable ammo THAT CAN BE USED IN BOTH A RIFLE AND A PISTOL may be sold to anyone OVER 18, but UNDER 21, as long as it is to be used in a RIFLE (hence the question "is that for a rifle or a pistol?"). That is a FEDERAL law. Not NY, not Fail*Mart. No "You need a pistol permit", NO "You need to be 21." This is why we hate Fail*Mart.

Private

well we've gotten off subject is the guy at gander riding me like a fool or is he stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by fisher2 View Post
    well we've gotten off subject is the guy at gander riding me like a fool or is he stupid?
    I don't think we have. It's 18 to buy gunpowder, what we are demonstrating is that people at Box Box stores are screwing their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    I don't think we have. It's 18 to buy gunpowder, what we are demonstrating is that people at Box Box stores are screwing their customers.
    The biggest box store fail was 9/12/01 when Kmart stopped selling handgun ammo as their responce to 9/11. They should have banned box cutters instead, but you can't reason with corporate retards.
    To all our 20 year old members: You'll be 40 before you know it. Don't be in a rush
    The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed. NOT EVEN IN NEW YORK

Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    The biggest box store fail was 9/12/01 when Kmart stopped selling handgun ammo as their responce to 9/11. They should have banned box cutters instead, but you can't reason with corporate retards.
    To all our 20 year old members: You'll be 40 before you know it. Don't be in a rush
    Again, I'd be happy being 20 all the time, just give me the rights I am entitled too. Similar to how I'd like to live in NY all the time, just give me the same rights the rest of the american people have. Having to get up and physically move to another part of the country to get your American rights is as silly as having to sit and wait 3 months to get the rights of your fellow Americans. Laughable.

Well maybe we need an organized letter writing campaign and/or boycott of Walmart to let them know this is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by waldershrek View Post
    Well maybe we need an organized letter writing campaign and/or boycott of Walmart to let them know this is unacceptable.
    I called Fail*Mart and the response I got was so Goddamn idiotic that I feel nothing will change their mind. I have to keep repeting it because if I didn't I would think I made it up. I called corporate (this was about 2 years ago-ish) and left a message and got a call a few days later after they called the local store. The response I got was, no joke at all, "because the 9mm ammo is BIGGER than the .22, we just want it to be 21 years old to buy." Ok m'am, I'll just take these 12 gauge 1oz slugs please. -.-

As a matter of fact, I made this video 2 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsZtloDLclk

One call might get blown off. A few thousand won't.

When the response is that idiotic? I doubt it. Fail*Mart has it's head so far up it's own ass with CYA politics that it is too far gone.

Tim

Walmart and other big box stores are just covering their asses. Mainly because in the court system so many crap lawsuits make it through and cost them BIG MONEY. Which then costs them more in increased insurance rates. So in this way - they cover their ass, and hopefully keep their prices down (which is laughable in most cases also).

Damn litigation happy society.