Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bullet Button

Private

Default Bullet Button

Will the bullet button make us compliant?

Major

no,someplace i seen where it says that a tool cannot be used to remove the mag,such as ammunition or bullet.Thats not exactely how it was worded but its pretty much the point.

Private

Here it is but that's not the way I read it.

24. "DETACHABLE MAGAZINE" MEANS ANY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE, THE FUNCTION OF WHICH IS TO DELIVER ONE OR MORE AMMUNITION CARTRIDGES INTO THE FIRING CHAMBER, WHICH CAN BE REMOVED FROM THE FIREARM WITHOUT THE USE OF ANY TOOL, INCLUDING A BULLET OR AMMUNITION CARTRIDGE.

Major

Any tool including. Thus far the bullet button is GTG for future pistol grip builds.

They came up with a nifty magnetic tool that acts like a regular mag release.
    At age 21, I did two things: Stopped wearing underwear and started carrying a gun. The combination has enabled me to remain calm in even the most stressful of situations.

Private

Can we modify existing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Any tool including. Thus far the bullet button is GTG for future pistol grip builds.

They came up with a nifty magnetic tool that acts like a regular mag release.
    Practically speaking, how much does a bullet button or magnet tool slow down the process of reloading?
    -------------------------------------------
    Member: S.C.O.P.E.

that quote is NOT from s2230 or the safe act. Its from s1422 which never made it into law.
    S1422-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Increases the penalty for the possession, use, or sale of certain firearms and ammunition and redefines "assault weapon"; repealer - New York State Senate

As far as I can tell detachable magazine is not currently defined in either the safe act or ny penal code.

How difficult is this bullet button to do? Is it something that can be done like in a kit?
    Unrestricted NY LTC permit. PA LTC.

NRA member SCOPE member

Major

My bad,i read it wrong,sorry

Major

and heres a link to a BB kit,pretty simple to install.

AR15 Bullet Button

Before the SAFE act the BB was a no-go. How is that different now.

REMEMBER THOUGH: The NYSP gestapo now have unlimited discretion to ban anything trying to skirt the law. Even if the bullet button was legal, it would last just until the first one was found.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

Open Water Diver. Dives- ​39. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Major

Where do you see a bb as a no go before the safe act?

The language has been there all along.
    At age 21, I did two things: Stopped wearing underwear and started carrying a gun. The combination has enabled me to remain calm in even the most stressful of situations.

Corporal

Bullet buttons were never really used in NY, as one evil feature (pistol grip) was allowed. Now that pistol grips are no longer legal, bullet buttons will probably be one of the methods employed to stay compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Where do you see a bb as a no go before the safe act?

The language has been there all along.
    The Ar 15 section of this forum. It was always accepted there that NY did not accept the BB as non-detachable. Just like if you put a bock in your Magpul 30 (the limiter), that doesn't make your mag compliant. It needs to be epoxied and stuff.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

Open Water Diver. Dives- ​39. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Captain

All or nothing at this point, why are we the ones that have to go thru hoops to conform. Next we will be trying to skirt muzzleloader restrictions.
    Burzum likes this.

^^^^^ agreed I have no intention of doing anything until this law is either repealed or left in service. If the latter then I will be leaving. After all I have a year and I'm really good at procrastination...
    HarryG and bonecarver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clb9er View Post
    Here it is but that's not the way I read it.

24. "DETACHABLE MAGAZINE" MEANS ANY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE, THE FUNCTION OF WHICH IS TO DELIVER ONE OR MORE AMMUNITION CARTRIDGES INTO THE FIRING CHAMBER, WHICH CAN BE REMOVED FROM THE FIREARM WITHOUT THE USE OF ANY TOOL, INCLUDING A BULLET OR AMMUNITION CARTRIDGE.
    Correct bullet buttons are GTG right now. The way it reads now it defines a magazine as something that does not require a tool to release INCLUDING a bullet or cartridge. It looks as if they were trying to cover and therefore also ban bullet buttons but were just too stupid to get it right the first time. Don't worry, these goons will figure it out soon enough and take that away too. It should be clear to all that what they are really trying to do is ban ALL semiautomatic rifles.

Corporal

don't do any of the modifications yet, and come up with solutions etc.. this way you won't give the politicians ideas on what to add into their amendments. but once the law is more clear and defined and challenged. this way we can come up with these solutions and they can't say oh you can't have it. its already too late for them to amended them.

Private

What is the point of the bullet button under the NYS SAFE 2013, Let's say your at the range with an unregisted AR-15 in the year 2015, you did not register because you put in a bullet button. You are arrested and $50,000 later the jury is reading their verdict. California uses the bullet button because they can not have an AR-15 without it, unless the magazine is permenently attached. We can have detachable magazines in NY under the new law.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmNATO View Post
    What is the point of the bullet button under the NYS SAFE 2013, Let's say your at the range with an unregisted AR-15 in the year 2015, you did not register because you put in a bullet button. You are arrested and $50,000 later the jury is reading their verdict. California uses the bullet button because they can not have an AR-15 without it, unless the magazine is permenently attached. We can have detachable magazines in NY under the new law.
    The point of the bullet button is because it would circumvent the whole Assault weapons ban. It would be considered a "fixed" magazine just like how CA has right now because it requires a "special tool" to remove the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by sr20sean View Post
    The point of the bullet button is because it would circumvent the whole Assault weapons ban. It would be considered a "fixed" magazine just like how CA has right now because it requires a "special tool" to remove the magazine.
    ^ This.

I ordered and received an Exile Machine Hammerhead grip. Yes it's ugly, yes it's a bastardizatiom but as long as you chop the "compensator" and recrown your barrel it isn't an assault rifle anymore. However I would wait until our year is almost up before making any modifications.

Private

I myself went for the other approach and installed the hammerhead grip and no I have no evil features and a detachable magazine
    By all means this is not my way of giving up, just another way to avoid registration god forbid this bill stays a law. But I will keep doing my part to fight against it. I was in Albany and will hopefully be at the next one.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Mjfritz07 View Post
    I ordered and received an Exile Machine Hammerhead grip. Yes it's ugly, yes it's a bastardizatiom but as long as you chop the "compensator" and recrown your barrel it isn't an assault rifle anymore. However I would wait until our year is almost up before making any modifications.
    You can't just "chop" it. You need to make sure it is still 16" overall and you don't want to cut it at a slight angle because then the bullets would be flying off in a specific direction. Grind off the weld, pull the pin out, unthread the comp and file down the threads then you won't need to recrown it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast