Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How about a listing of good gun shops in NY?

Default How about a listing of good gun shops in NY?

Maybe its just me but I have a hard time finding a good shop to spend my money at. Can we come up with a list (by major city or county) of gun shops. Add a little info about the shop on what they carry or specialty.
    As this grows I will update the first post so its seachable.

-Albany

American Shooter Supply (B&J) Good selection of black rifles, pistols, hunting rifles, used firearms and accessories. Prices were average to high. They have a website but its worthless. Staff were helpful but not always knowledgeable. IMO the best in the Albany area.

-Amsterdam

Jim McCarthy Guns. Very small retiree owned shop. Small selection of pistols and long guns. Mostly used. Very little black rifles. Prices are decent. Always has been good to work with.

-Clifton Park

Zacks Sports in Clifton Park on Route 9 by Round lake. Staff is very knowledgeable and the prices are more fair then other shops in the Albany area. Used prices are typical market value and they will barter. Ammo prices on certain ammo is higher then online. Parts and accessories are on par to most online retailers after you pay shipping. They can get a little crowded at certain times and the parking lot sucks. I'd rather take a trip there even tough its further away the places like B&J which I find overly expensive.

-Henrietta
    Jacksons Gun and Ammo Henrietta NY. Great guy, good selection, and decent pricing.

-Hopewell Junction (Dutchess County)

Collector Rifle & Ammo. Great selection of various types of firearms, from tactical to practical to mil-surp war relics. Cutting edge guns with reviews fresh off the presses of major gun magazines sit alongside classic used pieces with bargain prices, giving customers plenty of options. Best prices in area and knowledgeable, friendly employees make shopping here a pleasure. Large holster inventory and bulk ammo deals complete the experience, with a wide array of both new and pre-ban magazines for many major platforms. All in all this shop is a gun enthusiast's candy store.

-Little Falls

The Hunting Store. Small shop, not a lot of selction. Very happy to do transfers at a reasonable rate. Second job shop, non standard hours.

-Margaretville (Delaware county)

Del's sports- off the beaten path but great prices and friendly service. Hours are not the greatest so it's best to call before heading over. Mostly hunting rifles but died have a good selection of new and used pistoles. Picked up a modle 3 stag ar for a great price.

-Mayfield

Frank's Guns. Have not been there in some time. Nice small sized shop.

-Monroe NY

Master Class Shooters Supply - HOME Orange County just off Route 17 (the Quickway) in Monroe NY....reloading supplies and equipment..reloading supplies and equipment....

-Palmyra
    D and M Shooting Route 31 Palmyra NY. Nicest Folks you will meet and prices are not bad. Nicest Folks you will meet and prices are not bad.

-Utica

K&K Train and Hobby - never been

-Walworth NY
    Walworth Custom Gun Shop Main St Walworth NY, not as friendly, and ALOT higher priced. I have heard he does some great custom work though.
    -York
    Swank's Hunting and Shooting, Main Street, York NY 585-245-8008. Small shop that is hunting and target oriented, a good turnover of nice stuff priced right, or will order what you want. VERY knowledgable owner as far as hunting, handgunning, reloading, and muzzleloading , especially. $35 transfers, and does a lot of consignments on a very square basis if you have stuff that's gathering dust with absolute honest dealing.
    Last edited by Cavalry; 08-29-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Major

Collector Rifle & Ammo. Great selection of various types of firearms, from tactical to practical to mil-surp war relics. Cutting edge guns with reviews fresh off the presses of major gun magazines sit alongside classic used pieces with bargain prices, giving customers plenty of options. Best prices in area and knowledgeable, friendly employees make shopping here a pleasure. Large holster inventory and bulk ammo deals complete the experience, with a wide array of both new and pre-ban magazines for many major platforms. All in all this shop is a gun enthusiast's candy store.

Margaretville (Delaware county)
    Del's sports- off the beaten path but great prices and friendly service. Hours are not the greatest so it's best to call before heading over. Mostly hunting rifles but died have a good selection of new and used pistoles. Picked up a modle 3 stag ar for a great price.

Corporal

Master Class Shooters Supply - HOME

Orange County just off Route 17 (the Quickway) in Monroe NY....reloading supplies and equipment....
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    ---- Ronald Reagan

JVG

Clifton Park -
    Zacks Sports in Clifton Park on Route 9 by Round lake. Staff is very knowledgeable and the prices are more fair then other shops in the Albany area. Used prices are typical market value and they will barter. Ammo prices on certain ammo is higher then online. Parts and accessories are on par to most online retailers after you pay shipping. They can get a little crowded at certain times and the parking lot sucks. I'd rather take a trip there even tough its further away the places like B&J which I find overly expensive.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

D and M Shooting Route 31 Palmyra NY, Nicest Folks you will meet and prices are not bad.

Walworth Custom Gun Shop Main St Walworth NY, not as friendly, and ALOT higher priced.

I have heard he does some great custom work though.

Jacksons Gun and Ammo Henrietta NY. Great guy, good selection, and decent pricing.

Major

Swank's Hunting and Shooting, Main Street, York NY 585-245-8008. Small shop that is hunting and target oriented, a good turnover of nice stuff priced right, or will order what you want. VERY knowledgable owner as far as hunting, handgunning, reloading, and muzzleloading , especially. $35 transfers, and does a lot of consignments on a very square basis if you have stuff that's gathering dust with absolute honest dealing.
    It is always prudent to keep in mind the fact that an old lion is still, indeed, a lion.

Updated! Keep them coming!

Oakwood Trading Post, Troy NY
    Great guys, awesome selection

FFL directory:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...YRdM0Q&cad=rja
    The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed. NOT EVEN IN NEW YORK

Buffalo NY.....NOT Buffalo gun center.....then I guess I will pass on this question...
    Nightshift82 and KBurdo like this.

Man, I was hoping to click on this thread and see a suggestion for the Syracuse area. Can't stand Gander Mntn., Ra-lins is a little high and doesn't have much of a selection and Tims is ...well....

Default Western Fingerlakes Gun Shops

Western Fingerlakes region.

Avon, NY

Avon Gun & Hunting supply

www.avongun.net

259 E. Main St. (rt. 5/20)
    Avon, NY 14414
    Knowledgeable, helpful staff. Good selection of used rifles, handguns and shotguns.

Lakeville, NY

Gun Trader (new and used guns ammo and accessories)
    Alice and Bob (helpful and friendly been in the business a long time)

5812 Big Tree Road (us rt 15)
    Lakeville, ny 14480
    585-346-2567

Victor, NY

Pro-Gun Services LLC
    Pro-Gun Services L.L.C.

7387 State Route 96 # 5
    Victor, NY 14564-9794
    (585) 924-1733

Farmington, NY

Liberty Gun Shop Inc

1235 State Route 332
    Farmington, NY 14425
    585-924-0200

Honeoye, NY

Lono Group Ltd.
    Lono Group Ltd. - Home

5435 East Lake Rd.
    Honeoye, New York
    14471-9660
    (585) 229-4882
    Sales, training and instruction
    (See site for hours)
    Last edited by lcj7; 11-25-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: update

I like the gun shop in Davenport right by Oneonta, always treated me right and has decent ammo prices too:

Lyn's Leisure Tyme Gun Shop
    (607) 278-6346
    15849 Rt-23, Davenport, NY 13750

Rifle Wants: CETME, AR15, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

Quote Originally Posted by RSBH44 View Post
    Man, I was hoping to click on this thread and see a suggestion for the Syracuse area. Can't stand Gander Mntn., Ra-lins is a little high and doesn't have much of a selection and Tims is ...well....
    You guys have herb Phillipson's in Syracuse. No pistols, but the last time I was there they were decent for rifles. Can always take a little drive to Auburn and visit the beautiful Bass Pro Shop there. (A bit expensive, but such a cool store.)
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Quote Originally Posted by JStarX7 View Post
    You guys have herb Phillipson's in Syracuse. No pistols, but the last time I was there they were decent for rifles. Can always take a little drive to Auburn and visit the beautiful Bass Pro Shop there. (A bit expensive, but such a cool store.)
    I've been to both in Liverpool and Western Lights. Western lights (when I was there) wasn't all that great. Liverpool has a wider variety. Ive purchased 2 guns from them and they have knowledgeable workers there. Better than Gander Mountain by far.

Here are 2 nice little gun shops... good guys to deal with

Home

The Valley Gun Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Failure View Post

True, but he also charges NYS sales tax on transfers. Least that's what he told me on the phone

Sergeant

thru way sporting goods walden,ny orange county. great selection ok prices,some good some not so good sales people.

Quote Originally Posted by RSBH44 View Post
    Can I ask what your issue is with Tims? I've only been there once. They were very helpful and even though I took an awful lot of their time, they were perfectly pleasant. Answered all my questions and showed me alot of guns.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Failure View Post

I check this place out yesterday its Top Shelf !kind of like a disney land for guns he has so much stuff it hard to focus on what ya came in for, several visits needed imop.

Super Moderator

Oakwood Trading Post in Troy. go their on a monday and deal with benny.

or

Guns inc on 20 outside of Rensselaer, Tony will help you out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by slagersan View Post
    Can I ask what your issue is with Tims? I've only been there once. They were very helpful and even though I took an awful lot of their time, they were perfectly pleasant. Answered all my questions and showed me alot of guns.
    If your talking about Tims Guns near Albany,they sold me a Flash Hider as fully compliant muzzle brake...Would not recommend them with that kind of sale ethics!!!

Private

Hilltop Hunting in Morley NY

Dick's Country Store in Churubusco NY.....not related to Dick's Sporting Goods....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast