Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunny

Thread: Why are Slingshots with wrist bands illegal in NY?

Sergeant

Default Why are Slingshots with wrist bands illegal in NY?

I have never really figured this one out. Was there a rash of people doing drive bys with slignshots with (and I'll get the quote totally wrong so please forgive me) Those things that go up in the back?

I realize that the wrist band helps make the slingshot more stable, and thus more accurate, but to pass a law banning them.

Is there any law against blow darts? I haven't looked into this one.

Is there any law against blow darts? I haven't looked into this one.

No but lawn darts? yes (I think) at least u cant buy them

Slingshots r evil!!!! you'll shoot ur eye out kid

Private

Lawn Darts!! lol I remember finding a box of those in our shed when i was a kid and my mom saying "Oh no, those are dangerous." Made me want to play with them. lol It sounded like such a good idea for a game. Lets hurl heavy spear shaped objects up into the air that come spiraling down in a destructive path to land in a hoop. and now lets both stand on opposite ends right behind said hoops. And lets market it to little kids. Great idea! Weeds out the stupid ones i guess

Hahahaha I still have my parents lawn darts - and we break them out every year and play a little
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

BANNED

Slingshots are deadlier than you think. The IRA used to use them.

Sergeant

Wrist Rocket. When did they join the list of evil things in NYS?

RalphXL
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sergeant

I had one in MA growing up, they were fun to shoot. I never checked the laws back then, because I bought it in a local sporting goods store so I assumed it was legal. From what I see on the web, they are illegal there now too.

Pretty soon throwing a rock will be a felony.

Wrist rockets are considered more dangerous onnaconna with the wrist brace you can put a marble through a piece of plywood.
    Exceedingly difficult to impossible to accomplish with a conventional unbraced slingshot unless you have the wrists of a cronic masterbator.
    So somewhere between more power, better accuracy and the manditory black parts, its an assault weapon.
    (get one that has the crosshair peepsight in the handle and they might give you the chair...)

I've got a preban frame here is someone wants to buy it for $150.
    Everything but the surgical hose and rubber pocket. No date stamp. Shipping included.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

I bought a slingshot about 5 months ago without the wrist band so I think they are still legal.

James

Corporal

They were banned becuase the idiots in Albany had no clue what they were doing just like Carolyn McCarthy wanted to ban Barrel Shrouds: "...you know that thing that goes up..."

Each year my faith in thinking that this state can be saved from the forces of stupidity and evil diminish.
    "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Sergeant

Lawn Darts, ooh some memories there. We used to stand on one side and throw them as high, or as far as we could.

I do know that slingshots can be very dangerous, I don't see too many of the kids today even interested in these as much as my friends and I used to be. I used to be a pretty accurate shot with the one I had as a teen, and I used to love shooting pennies out of it for the funy noise they would sometimes make.

I've always wanted NY to open a season for primitive type weapons, something like chipmunks or squirrells only with a slingshot, but I know someone would ruin it by trying to take much larger game than they should.

Private

Slingshots are one of my favorite projectile propellers.
    A Zombie Squad member from Germany, Joerg Sprave has a YouTube channel devoted to the devastation that can be wrought with home made slingshots JoergSprave's Channel - YouTube. He's even made a machete launching slingshot!
    The furthest I've ever gone with the slingshot mods was to build a Filipino style slingshot dart launcher (throws the darts via a cut into the wooden dart near the tip that hooks onto a rope loop used in place of the pouch), and a Pathfinder/Dave Cantabury style sling-bow (throws a conventional arrow, once again by replacing the pouch, but this time with a section of Dyneema).

-Mike

Sergeant

I like living on the edge and brake out the pre-ban lawn darts. Ranks right up there with bump-firing 30 rounds in my AK.
    NCNY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kkelley View Post
    I had one in MA growing up, they were fun to shoot. I never checked the laws back then, because I bought it in a local sporting goods store so I assumed it was legal. From what I see on the web, they are illegal there now too.

Pretty soon throwing a rock will be a felony.
    Pretty soon possessing a rock will be a felony...