Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By NoName
  • 2 Post By OnPatrol
  • 1 Post By Temporaryscars
  • 1 Post By Temporaryscars
  • 1 Post By OnPatrol

Thread: "The First 48" Rochester Episode

Default "The First 48" Rochester Episode

A Rochester homicide will be featured on "The First 48" tonight. It airs on the A&E Network at 9pm.

Local murder featured on A&E crime show - 13WHAM - Featured
    OnPatrol likes this.
    “I do believe that where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence I would advise violence” - Ghandi

I was in that episode. I'm the police diver that found the gun in the canal.

The cold, cold, cold canal.

Damn I look good in a dry suit.
    RayKnobs and tripwirez like this.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    Ernest Hemingway, April 1936

The sheep pretend the wolf will never come; but the sheepdog live for that day.

General

How in the hell did you spot a gun at the bottom of a canal? I take it you don't wear glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Temporaryscars View Post
    How in the hell did you spot a gun at the bottom of a canal? I take it you don't wear glasses.
    I didn't see anythig.... it's all by feel. In that sort of water in the canal, Gemesee River, etc., its too murky to see anything so searching is all by feel. Since the item we were looking for was small (handgun) it is a very slow, methodical search. I had to feel every single item on the bottom to be sure it wasn't a gun. Lots of rocks, bottles, discarded junk, etc. There were also some larger rocks so I had to feel down into the crevices to be sure the gun didn't fall in there. I actually close my eyes when searching in those conditions. It may sound weird, but if I "turn off" my sense of sight, my sense of feel works better. If my eyes were open, I think my brain would naturally strain to see whatever I was holding so I just close my eyes to take that strain right out of the equation.

If I was looking for a body, the search patterns are much wider and I don't have to identify every damn piece of junk on the bottom. I would just continue my pattern until I literally ran into a body.

Not exactly all glamour that one might imagine.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

General

Quote Originally Posted by OnPatrol View Post
    I didn't see anythig.... it's all by feel. In that sort of water in the canal, Gemesee River, etc., its too murky to see anything so searching is all by feel. Since the item we were looking for was small (handgun) it is a very slow, methodical search. I had to feel every single item on the bottom to be sure it wasn't a gun. Lots of rocks, bottles, discarded junk, etc. There were also some larger rocks so I had to feel down into the crevices to be sure the gun didn't fall in there. I actually close my eyes when searching in those conditions. It may sound weird, but if I "turn off" my sense of sight, my sense of feel works better. If my eyes were open, I think my brain would naturally strain to see whatever I was holding so I just close my eyes to take that strain right out of the equation.

If I was looking for a body, the search patterns are much wider and I don't have to identify every damn piece of junk on the bottom. I would just continue my pattern until I literally ran into a body.

That's amazing. You found the gun by feeling up an entire water system. Lol. I would have gone down there and be like "f it, way too dark. I'll be at the bar."
    dwa12479 likes this.

I didn't see anythig.... it's all by feel. In that sort of water in the canal, Gemesee River, etc., its too murky to see anything so searching is all by feel. Since the item we were looking for was small (handgun) it is a very slow, methodical search. I had to feel every single item on the bottom to be sure it wasn't a gun. Lots of rocks, bottles, discarded junk, etc. There were also some larger rocks so I had to feel down into the crevices to be sure the gun didn't fall in there.
    What about catfish and snapping turtles?

General

Quote Originally Posted by RandallOfLegend View Post
    Yeah. Def at the bar.
    BrianS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallOfLegend View Post
    The cat fish are dinner and the turtles are live action.

Here is a pic of onpartol out of dry suit:

OP.jpg
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

No joke. I would never swim in the Erie canal by choice. Perhaps back closer to the Niagara River, but by the time you're in Rochester things seem pretty gross.

Do you ever use one of those big magnets in a firearms search?

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by ECU Pirates View Post
    The cat fish are dinner and the turtles are live action.

Here is a pic of onpartol out of dry suit:

OP.jpg
    onpatrol has all of his teeth... Clearly that isn't him..
    "I am a guardian of bacon and there is no other way of life."

I would imagine trying to find a pistol in zero viz would be quite difficult especially if its burried in silt. Do you use metal detectors or any other tools to help locate such small items?

Dove caves in Florida for many years, caves are pitch black without a light, no ambient light when you're back a mile underground. If or when you had a silt out caused by whatever, fins, prop wash from a scooter etc etc, you cover your light or shut it off, tie off a line to the closest thing and do a search by feel for the main line, you let out a little line at a time while sweeping back and forth. Leave your light on and you will go blind for a few minutes because of the reflection off the particles in the water. There were times where you couldnt see your hand in front of your mask.

Use to dive in Irondequoit bay in the winter for anchors, cant see anything at depth, found 30-40 a year by feel.
    Bullets First

We have a metal detector, but in the canal right under a bridge there is tons of junk. Old bicycles, tire rims, cans, etc etc so the detector would just pick up all that stuff too.

A simple arc pattern from a shore-tended line was our best bet and it worked out on that op.

You mention anchors..... while on a training dive, one of our guys found an old anchor in the river, just off the Charlotte pier. We used lift bags to float it and then towed it to a boat launch. We needed to enlist the help of a construction crane and a flat-bed to get the thing out. Crane operator said his scale regsitered at a ton! I couldn't believe how big it was once the crane hoisted it out of the water!
    Last edited by OnPatrol; 11-20-2013 at 01:51 PM.

General

Do you use a wetsuit or a drysuit for that type of work?

Quote Originally Posted by WARFAB View Post
    No joke. I would never swim in the Erie canal by choice. Perhaps back closer to the Niagara River, but by the time you're in Rochester things seem pretty gross.

Do you ever use one of those big magnets in a firearms search?
    Niagara river is clear as day most of the time, at least a couple miles up above the falls. We use to park cars a mile before we would drop in and drift dive the river. Found all sorts of weird stuff. Childrens toys, golf balls, money etc etc. Lots of mamouth Sturgeon in the river that would scare the crap out of ya.
    Bullets First

Quote Originally Posted by Temporaryscars View Post
    Do you use a wetsuit or a drysuit for that type of work?
    My team is issued both. For really cold water or contaminated conditions we use the drysuit. In the gun search you saw in the episode, I wore drysuit because I can wear warm layering under the suit.
    Temporaryscars likes this.

We have a metal detector, but in the canal right under a bridge there is tons of junk. Old bicycles, tire rims, cans, etc etc so the detector would just pick up all that stuff too.

A simple arc pattern from a shore-tended line was our best bet and it worked out on that op.

You mention anchors..... while on a training dive, one of our guys found an old anchor in the river, just off the Charlotte pier. We used lift bags to float it and then towed it to a boat launch. We needed to enlist the help of a construction crane and a flat-bed to get the thing out. Crane operator said his scale regsitered at a ton! I couldn't believe how big it was once the crane hoisted it out of the water!
    There is 2 old shipwrecks about a eighth of a mile from Charlotte beach in shallow water (60ft I think). Have to go back and look through my research on what they were but its possible you could found one of their anchors. They are pretty broke up but fun to dive on days that its to rough to go out any further into the Lake.
    Bullets First

Quote Originally Posted by JamieZ View Post
    Niagara river is clear as day most of the time, at least a couple miles up above the falls. We use to park cars a mile before we would drop in and drift dive the river. Found all sorts of weird stuff. Childrens toys, golf balls, money etc etc. Lots of mamouth Sturgeon in the river that would scare the crap out of ya.
    We dive Niagara every fall and it is one of my favorite. Good visibility, huge fish, great current for a drift dive.

There is 2 old shipwrecks about a eighth of a mile from Charlotte beach in shallow water (60ft I think). Have to go back and look through my research on what they were but its possible you could found one of their anchors. They are pretty broke up but fun to dive on days that its to rough to go out any further into the Lake.
    This one was IN the river. About halfway down the Charlotte pier, just a few feet from the pier. Absolutely no idea how it got there. But that F'er was big.

You still dive? If so, we should plan something this summer. I bet a few of the guys on my team would join also.

This one was IN the river. About halfway down the Charlotte pier, just a few feet from the pier. Absolutely no idea how it got there. But that F'er was big.

You still dive? If so, we should plan something this summer. I bet a few of the guys on my team would join also.
    I dive shallow under a hundred feet only now. I got in some cranking flow coming up from 250ft off the Jodrey wreck, went from 250 to 100 in about a minute. About an hour after that dive my ankles and wrists went stiff, couldnt walk that night even to go to the bathroom. Massive pain. Stupid was to proud to go to the chamber. I made hundreds of dives on the Roy A. Jodrey since then but it its the same ole story, every time I do helium dives my ankles and wrists freeze solid about an hour after the dive. I miss doing the deep dives but I would rather not have the pain.
    Bullets First

I grew up on the Niagara river and used to snorkel a ton. There is a lot of history in that area and all kinds of weird things to find. The zebra mussels have made a huge difference in visibility. Before they showed up it was pretty pointless to snorkel on a weekend because of the boat traffic. I've heard stories about the sturgeon but never encountered one myself. It's the muskie that I'd be wary of. Every once in a while a duck disappears in the River Oaks Marina.

If you dive the Genesee river, keep an eye our for a rowing shell. It was a white Dirigo 8 seater, lost at the Jefferson road bridge by RIT. Half the boat was recovered from the bridge, the other half went somewhere else, with 4 oars still attached. It's name was Bob Gordon.