Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Carry a Knife?

Colonel

I carry a sog flash ll most of the time. I've had it for 3 years now and I love it!

I actually had a question and figured this was a good thread to ask it on, I know there is a blade length limit on pocket knives because they are somewhat concealed, what about belt knives? I have a friend who at one point didn't live in a very nice neighborhood, he carried on him at all times a bowie knife with an external scabbard attached to his belt, he showed me the knife one time, it looked alot like those Winchester bowies you can get at walmart (very good buy BTW, 20 bucks, full tang and solid edge holding, I own 2 myself) he carried it exposed everywhere, walmart, gas stations, his car, never got complaints about it, cops either never noticed or didnt seem to mind, my question is, is that legal or was he just lucky all those years? if it isn't a pocket folder and its carried exposed are u allowed to carry a large fixed blade knife on u? I know hunters can but that's a little different out in the woods. Oh and yes, my friend lives in NY and did at the time too.
    Michael92 likes this.
    Rifle Wants: CETME, AR15, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

Super Moderator evileyeswatchin's Avatar

There is no limit on knife length in New York State. (Regardless of what anyone has told you, there is simply no law addressing knife length.)

NYC is whole new ball game, 4" no open carry, assisted/gravity/etc.
    Last edited by evileyeswatchin; 01-02-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.

. . .|====|
    *n/______\n*
    =(OxxxxO)=

Corporal

A week ago I would have said go with the KABAR, but I recently found a Case USMC with similar specs. It lacks the serrated lower section, which is a great feature for sawing through stuff, but the simplicity of the Case is a thing of beauty.

Just to add to the thread: where can a guy go to learn how to use a knife for SD?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM777 View Post
    A week ago I would have said go with the KABAR, but I recently found a Case USMC with similar specs. It lacks the serrated lower section, which is a great feature for sawing through stuff, but the simplicity of the Case is a thing of beauty.

Just to add to the thread: where can a guy go to learn how to use a knife for SD?
    Marty - check out Chris from MDTS (one of our sponsors)...

SMALL ARMS & PRACTICAL COMBATIVES TRAINING

You can find him under sponsors on our main page here.

Quote Originally Posted by evileyeswatchin View Post
    There is no limit on knife length in New York State. (Regardless of what anyone has told you, there is simply no law addressing knife length.)

NYC is whole new ball game, 4" no open carry, assisted/gravity/etc.

Ah, thank you, finally a real answer. What I must have been hearing all these years was the NYC rules (I have heard 4 inches, 3 inches, length of your palm.....etc.....) Maybe I'll start carrying my bowie knife around now :-P
    Michael92 likes this.
    Rifle Wants: CETME, AR15, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner57 View Post
    Marty - check out Chris from MDTS (one of our sponsors)... SMALL ARMS & PRACTICAL COMBATIVES TRAINING You can find him under sponsors on our main page here.
    Some good knife courses there, and I may take one myself. notice on the folding knife course, the inclusion of the study of anatomy. Go find yourself a good anatomy chart and you can figure a lot of it out for yourself. In many cases, a knife with a 3" blade is more than enough if you know where to go with it.

Based on responses in this thread I just picked up a Kershaw Tanto Blur. Sweet knife! Nice grip, very sturdy, easy to open, strong lock.
    RSBH44 likes this.

I've carried a knife useually a 3" lockblade everyday for the past 35yrs and I'm lost if I sit it down somewhere and notice I haven't got it. Here in the north you never know when you might hit a deer with your truck and need to gut it.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Danny-L View Post
    I've carried a knife useually a 3" lockblade everyday for the past 35yrs and I'm lost if I sit it down somewhere and notice I haven't got it. Here in the north you never know when you might hit a deer with your truck and need to gut it.
    Knife in the truck for road kill, I'd need my other hand to count!

The Place with the highest property tax in the country

Quote Originally Posted by 944turbo View Post
    Based on responses in this thread I just picked up a Kershaw Tanto Blur. Sweet knife! Nice grip, very sturdy, easy to open, strong lock.
    I Have been carrying a Blur for years, mine is a drop point (I think)

During working hours I carry a Timberline Tonto, folder. Well it use to be a Tonto Point, it's been sharpened so much it's now a drop point LOL

I keep my knives sharp (as my wife puts it---scary sharp) even the kitchen knives (she cut the very end of her thumb off once, I'll never hear the end of that?? )
    I have sex daily
    I mean I have dyslexia

Sergeant

I just picked up a Cutco Ka-Bar for the woods, and I am probably going to get one of their smaller lockbacks to carry in the pocket....very handy

Quote Originally Posted by Spydermonkey View Post
    I carry a Kershaw Tanto Blur with me everywhere. I use it everyday as a utility knife but its there if I may need it for something else. I carry either a G27 or a P3AT with me everyday as well, which one depends on the time of year and my wardrobe selection for the day.

I agree with Tifosi that every gentleman should have a blade, either a knife, multitool, or both on them daily.
    I have that exact knife and it is awesome, carry it daily as well
    The gun is always loaded. Loaded or not. ALWAYS!!!
    Never point at anything you don't want to shoot.
    Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    Keep aware of your target and what is behind it.

I have a Browning that I got in a set with a headlamp I bought a couple of years ago. It's cheap enough that I don't worry about it much, but it holds a pretty good edge and works for what I use it for. I've lost a few pocket knives in the past, so I don't carry expensive ones everyday.

I have been carrying a Gerber assisted and love it. Resently, however, I bought Smith&Wesson S.W.A.T. assisted per friends experience and love it so far. It is very tight and it is holding a very nice edge for now despite constant use. It is fairly cheap at $38 and I am not worried about loosing it as much as I would with the Gerber. Very solid build. Either way, I love my knife and know how to use it if I had to. I think that everyone should. There are courses I have seen advertisements for and think they are inexpensive.

Captain

Go back & read prospero's post in the beginning if you ever think you're going to use a knife for personal protection. CCW guys, if you are ever faced with someone with a knife & they mean you harm, if they are within 7 yards of you, your going to come out second best. There are some decent trainig videos out there on knives as weapons, never underestimate them. 'The never bring a knife to a gunfight' thing doesn't mean a thing if they are close enough. To be armed, means nothing, to be trained is a whole other ball game.
    ScotchMan likes this.

Corporal

Spyderco Manix CTS30 steel blade. I carried a SOG FlashII (a nice knife by all means) but the Manix is hard to beat.

Major

i carry a vitrinox swiss army climber knife, and a four inch folder on my belt

I carry an Al Mar SLB everyday for the last 10 years. Look it up and you'll see that if I ever pulled that in self defense, all I'd get is laughed at!
    "We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Captain

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...WYUPd5nWA_YxiA

bonecollector 15020. Love the D2 steel

Private

I use me folder EVERY day for something. I think you would be amazed how much you used it if you carried one.
    ScotchMan likes this.

I choose KA-BAR

This is the Becker Necker, Neck Knife. Small, sharp, useful. USA MADE (OLEAN, NY)!

Attachment 10916Attachment 10917

I also have a bunch of other knives, but another good one that is quick to pull out is the Kershaw Needs Work.

Also... I say go with KA-BAR (mostly US made) or Kershaw (USA/Japanese made).

Sorry for all you SOG fans out there, but nearly ALL SOG knives are made in China/Taiwan. Also... while some knives, like the SOG Trident, Aegis, and Flash claim to be "Made in the USA", they are actually ASSEMBLED in the USA (big difference).

I've personally carried large knives, many over the years including the Ka-Bar Big Brother. But believe me, they don't have NEARLY the psychological effect on people that a firearm does. Knives are tricky for defense and if your not comfortable with them, get that way or don't carry them. On the other hand a small pocket knife is always useful eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by DystruktoBoi1 View Post
    Ah, thank you, finally a real answer. What I must have been hearing all these years was the NYC rules (I have heard 4 inches, 3 inches, length of your palm.....etc.....) Maybe I'll start carrying my bowie knife around now :-P
    Hell I do and I love it. Usually the Ka-Bar Big brother, don't care what anyone says it's one hell of a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by DystruktoBoi1 View Post
    I actually had a question and figured this was a good thread to ask it on, I know there is a blade length limit on pocket knives because they are somewhat concealed, what about belt knives? I have a friend who at one point didn't live in a very nice neighborhood, he carried on him at all times a bowie knife with an external scabbard attached to his belt, he showed me the knife one time, it looked alot like those Winchester bowies you can get at walmart (very good buy BTW, 20 bucks, full tang and solid edge holding, I own 2 myself) he carried it exposed everywhere, walmart, gas stations, his car, never got complaints about it, cops either never noticed or didnt seem to mind, my question is, is that legal or was he just lucky all those years? if it isn't a pocket folder and its carried exposed are u allowed to carry a large fixed blade knife on u? I know hunters can but that's a little different out in the woods. Oh and yes, my friend lives in NY and did at the time too.
    EXCELLENT knife for the price. I've owned a few and carried them as well. I'm not too sure about the laws. I always kept mine out of sight just in case. There not quite full tang though, it can't continue into the lanyard hole at the pommel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast