Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Carry a Knife?

Default Carry a Knife?

I carry a Glock 26 here in upstate NY. I have read some different opinions here and there pertaining to carrying a knife. I wanted some of your opinions on this site. I really don't have much of a need regarding everyday use for a knife. Maybe the periodic open a box thing, but not much beyond that regarding work or personal. I read somewhere yesterday that having less lethal items looks better to others heaven forbid you are in a situation where you have to use your pistol to defend yourself. You don't look like you only were looking to shoot someone in the eyes of the system. Eventhough I lead a very boring life and don't put myself in bad situations, I understand you can't always plan the way things will go. Does it make sense to carry a knife if you carry a gun, eventhough I have no training with a knife and not any real use for one everyday?

Corporal

I carry a SOG Trident in my pocket every day. I don't use it every day, but it's nice to have when I do need it. I couldn't care less what a prosecutor might think if I have it on me in the unlikely event that I'm forced to shoot someone in self-defense. The knife is legal, my firearm is legal, and it's legal to carry them at the same time. I'm not going to inconvenience myself and leave it home when I carry just because some over-zealous prosecutor thinks I'm a terrorist.

Some people here might feel differently, but that's my 2 cents.
    RalphXL, dantrap, MoMan and 2 others like this.

Captain

I don't have a CCW, but I can tell you I feel more comfortable leaving the house without my wallet than I do without my knife. I carry my CKRT ignitor T in my pocket everywhere.

There should be a knife in your pocket from cub scouts to grave.
    Even 'refined gentlymanly' types carry some form of small blade, even if only to trim thier cigar or dig under a fingernail.

Simply put, its a tool right up there almost on par with fire itself.
    jmac00, Rico, RSBH44 and 4 others like this.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator Spydermonkey's Avatar

I carry a Kershaw Tanto Blur with me everywhere. I use it everyday as a utility knife but its there if I may need it for something else. I carry either a G27 or a P3AT with me everyday as well, which one depends on the time of year and my wardrobe selection for the day.

I agree with Tifosi that every gentleman should have a blade, either a knife, multitool, or both on them daily.
    Disregarding color of law, preventing free travel, and creating joinder with NYF members since 2010.

"I've always felt that the real horror is next door to us, that the scariest monsters are our neighbors."
    -George A. Romero

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JSWellness View Post
    I read somewhere yesterday that having less lethal items looks better to others heaven forbid you are in a situation where you have to use your pistol to defend yourself. You don't look like you only were looking to shoot someone in the eyes of the system.
    I may be reading this wrong, but we aren't referring to a knife as less lethal right? Just to be safe....shooting and stabbing are both lethal force.

At a recent training venue we did force on force evolutions while armed with firearms and knives, I found myself not only using my knife more than my gun but actually was able to deploy the knife in-fight with more success than the firearm. The common in-fight occurrence was the good guy's gun coming out whether planned or not(concealment failure related to struggle) shortly followed by a change of ownership of the gun, either to the bad guy or to the ground. I don't recall seeing one instance of a knife not being retained.

I might go so far as to say that I would rather tangle with someone wielding a gun rather than a knife. Actually, a candy bar wielding assailant would be the best.
    ChrisFry, Tim1, PPS43 and 4 others like this.

Highly Recommended:
    MDTStraining.com
    PFCtraining.com
    ShivWorks.com
    ICEtraining.us

Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator Spydermonkey's Avatar

You don't need anymore candybars Tom

smiley_abused.gif
    Tom likes this.
    Disregarding color of law, preventing free travel, and creating joinder with NYF members since 2010.

"I've always felt that the real horror is next door to us, that the scariest monsters are our neighbors."
    -George A. Romero

My advice is don't deploy a knife in self defense unless you are confidant on how to use it. Carrying a knife for utility tasks is fine, but in a high-stress self defense situation a knife can very easily be a hazard in the hands of someone who is not trained and knowledgeable about its use.

The same goes for a firearm, it's just that people don't always think that way when it comes to blades. They feel that use of a knife should come more naturally, but when that adrenaline hits all your preconceptions (and confidence) fly out the window.
    bushmaster likes this.

Corporal

I agree with all of you. Personally I always carry a small knife that I may open with one hand, it is very practical. I hate to think that I would have to use a knife in self defense, but I do feel confident that I could based upon my training and background, so having a knife is good and as previously stated training/knowledge is important, More "on topic" my preference is to carry a small concealed knife, a lot of damage can be done with a small blade, one must be very close, but if needed I suppose one would be close.

Corporal

I normally carry a walther BTK Tactical knife. Its come in handy on more then a few occasions as far as day to day things. Like a phone or wallet you start to feel odd when you dont have it on you, and go figure when you dont have it you could actually use it. As far as a self defense thing I honestly hope Im never in a situation where I would need to rely on my blade to defend myself. Once weapons come out things tend to escalate very quickly and frankly I would rather avoid conflict then engage in it.

Not just a knife but a razor sharp one in my pocket and equally sharp Bowie in the truck.
    The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed. NOT EVEN IN NEW YORK

I carry a SOG Flash II every day and feel naked if it's not on me (trust me, that's not a pretty sight!)

I lost mine a couple weeks ago and went bat$hit looking for it. Finally gave up and jsut replaced it.

I'm not big on knives for SD. I carry one, but it's a Swiss Army Knife that I use for MacGyvering things and opening boxes/letters. I'm more comfortable pepper spraying someone and then kicking their kneecap off.
    Tim1 likes this.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Captain

My knife is like second nature to me. I know where it is, how its going to deploy in my hand and even what way its facing. I love the fact I need to push my thumb stud in to deploy it. My keershaw leek was slightly faster but unless I used the lock at the tip I could open it in my pocket. So accidental deployment would be very easy in a high stress situation, kinda like a hair trigger. If you want a knife to be a part of your SD, make it part of your daily routine like your keys or your wallet. If your not comfortable, then change it up with something you are comfortable with. I have 50+ knifes around yet everyday I pocket my CKRT and EVERY pair of jeans I own shows wear that its there.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner57 View Post
    I carry a SOG Flash II every day and feel naked if it's not on me (trust me, that's not a pretty sight!)

I lost mine a couple weeks ago and went bat$hit looking for it. Finally gave up and jsut replaced it.

Gunner, i've carried that very same knife for three years now; well, same TYPE of knife, anyway. mine also magically went missing at the future in-laws last christmas after i lent it out during the gift-opening process. pretty sure the old lady's dad swiped it cuz i checked inside every couch and gift bag. i went out and bought another figuring the old one would turn up then as is often the case, but no dice. hey, it was worth it-- it's a great blade and it's become an extension of myself. i'm a SOG Flash II guy for life at this point, so long as they keep making them. i wonder if it's NYC legal with the recent law change? i feel a bit honored to have the same knife as such a prominent forum member. if only i had the same gun collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Failure View Post
    Gunner, i've carried that very same knife for three years now; well, same TYPE of knife, anyway. mine also magically went missing at the future in-laws last christmas after i lent it out during the gift-opening process. pretty sure the old lady's dad swiped it cuz i checked inside every couch and gift bag. i went out and bought another figuring the old one would turn up then as is often the case, but no dice. hey, it was worth it-- it's a great blade and it's become an extension of myself. i'm a SOG Flash II guy for life at this point, so long as they keep making them. i wonder if it's NYC legal with the recent law change? i feel a bit honored to have the same knife as such a prominent forum member. if only i had the same gun collection!
    Prominent? I'm not sure about that. Prolific is probably more appropriate... I do buy a lot! LOL

Thanks for the kudos.

I do love the Flash II though. I beat the snot out of mine daily and it handles it well. I also like thier clip quite a bit.

Tre
    Private

I also carry a knife everyday but I do not have a ccw. Either my Esee Izula II or a Zero Tolerence 0350.

Spyderco Pacific Salt everyday for me (as of right now). Always razor sharp. Self defense isn't it's main reason, though if it comes down to it... It is much more for EDC tasks. I always need a knife and if you actually follow a day of what you do asking yourself "would a knife be useful here?", I think you will find a lot of use for it. For me it is Boxes, Envelopes, Light prying, cutting paracord/rope, cutting cloth to make gun cleaning patches, etc. Also, let's not forget the non-Self Defense emergency situations. Stuck in a car with your seatbelt on after an accident comes to mind...

I always need a knife and if you actually follow a day of what you do asking yourself "would a knife be useful here?", I think you will find a lot of use for it.
    That goes for a flashlight too.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Captain

[QUOTE=Darthgamer138; Also, let's not forget the non-Self Defense emergency situations. Stuck in a car with your seatbelt on after an accident comes to mind...[/QUOTE]

Sliver, or that pesky scab that I never have enough finger nail for?
    Smurfette likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JStarX7 View Post
    That goes for a flashlight too.
    Fenix LD20. Next question! :P
    Tim1 likes this.

most of the time when I leave its with a gerber folder. Need to get it sharpened, might take it in since I dont have a tool to do that with (stone).

Let me ask this, since on knives... I am currently looking for a knife for the following Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and basic utility. For this I am not looking for a folder, looking for a more rugged knife. Was thinking Kabar, or Ontario. I wont buy a knife made outside the USA (thankfully I dont usually buy knives, I find them :s )
    what do you guys suggest? There are a ton of choices, just want something basic. what do you guys own?

Private

I carry a SOG Flash also, I feel bare without it. Whenever I forget the damn thing thats when I need it, usually for opening boxes at work etc.

I just carry my kershaw folder not for self defense but for a tool

I have been thinking about purchasing a cold steel leatherneck SF combat knife
    Leatherneck-SF

not only for self defense but mostly for a survival knife (I like to be prepared for a survival situation any time I go in the wild)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverpathic View Post
    most of the time when I leave its with a gerber folder. Need to get it sharpened, might take it in since I dont have a tool to do that with (stone).

Let me ask this, since on knives... I am currently looking for a knife for the following Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and basic utility. For this I am not looking for a folder, looking for a more rugged knife. Was thinking Kabar, or Ontario. I wont buy a knife made outside the USA (thankfully I dont usually buy knives, I find them :s )
    what do you guys suggest? There are a ton of choices, just want something basic. what do you guys own?
    Anything from KA-BAR would be great for a fixed blade. KA-BAR has many different sizes and their prices are reasonable. Spyderco makes some smaller fixed blades as well. As for me, my fixed blade for Camping is the KA-BAR fighting knife in all black with Kyxed sheath. About $60 on Amazon.com. Made right here in NY, close to the border near the Zippo factory in Bradford PA.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​50. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast