Close

Default NY / Rochester laws on knife carry

Trying to find if its legal to carry a knife in a certain blade length. From what I have been able to find, if you carry a knife that is used for protection its illegal period. Can anyone shed some light on this if its truth or not ?

AFAIK - You are allowed to carry a folding knife with a blade no longer than 3 inches...no questions asked.

Hunting/survival knives? I don't know what the law is. Isn't that a concealed weapon issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
    AFAIK - You are allowed to carry a folding knife with a blade no longer than 3 inches...no questions asked.

Hunting/survival knives? I don't know what the law is. Isn't that a concealed weapon issue?
    Just looking to carry something like this. Blade length is 3.25"

SOGzilla - Knives - Browse By Type

Nope ... has evil black plastic hand grip. lol, seriously though , I've always found it easier to just stick to 3" blades to be on the safe side.

Honestly, it's a judgement call. I carry a folding knife not much different than that...and it also has a 3.25" blade (which I didn't realize until just now, LOL). However, I'm a volunteer firefighter, and IF some copper really has a big issue with it, I can always write it off as a tool of the trade.

I don't know. Maybe if you didn't call it a "self defense" weapon if asked? IANAL, so my knowledge is probably worthless.

Here's a better explanation of the NY knife laws...it may help: NY Knife Law | the things worth believing in

These guys say you can carry either 3.5" or 4" folding knife if it's for "legit work purposes": Carrying a knife - NYC

Bit of info.... People used to say you cannot carry a knife that is longer then your hand (width). A "hand" is a unit of measure meaning 4 inches and is commonly used to measure the height of a horse for example.

As far as knives you could carry a Bowie knife on your belt if you wanted. No laws broken there. However, if you commit a crime and are in possession of it it could the. Be labeled a weapon. Usual laws regarding double edged, butterfly and spring loaded (spring assisted is always debated) but most LEOs don't care about your knife unless you pull it on someone or threaten to use it either verbally or bringing attention to it while sheathed or in your pocket.

So it looks like if I carry a knife with a blade under 3" and keep it concealed I should be good to go. If I use it to defend my self I might be in deep sh!t.

Well, it's a chance you'd have to take. What's better? Getting beat/maimed/killed or dealing with a cop?

Well, it's a chance you'd have to take. What's better? Getting beat/maimed/killed or dealing with a cop?
    Very true.

I wear a 9" kabar on my hip. Never been bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverpathic View Post
    I wear a 9" kabar on my hip. Never been bothered.
    Yes I was going to say that if you carry a fixed blade knife you can get a bowie if you want. I used to carry a machete for work but the cops that passed me didn't know that but they never bothered me.

These guys say you can carry either 3.5" or 4" folding knife if it's for "legit work purposes": Carrying a knife - NYC
    That's NYC, where you need permission to take a poop in your own house, not Rochester (though they're not entirely different either).

Quote Originally Posted by Camper4lyfe View Post
    That's NYC, where you need permission to take a poop in your own house, not Rochester (though they're not entirely different either).
    Do you know of any Rochester specific laws that pertain to this ?

Quote Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
    Do you know of any Rochester specific laws that pertain to this ?
    No I don't. You COULD go by NYC regulations, as those would be more restrictive, but you may be limiting yourself.

In the grand scheme of things, the knife you want to carry should be fine. I've never heard of anyone being arrested for carrying a knife in Rochester.

Captain

Often it depends on 'where' you are carrying a knife, and 'how', more than the knife itself. In some places an exposed pocket clip securing a knife can invite unwanted and unwarranted attention from over-zealous law officers. The several knife dedicated magazines, like "Blade" - and many others, are full of legal examples and court cases where knife fanciers and users have been charged and tried under various statutes.
    I usually remove the pocket-clips from any knife I can, if not possible, I will carry them not clipped to the edge of my pocket, but down in the pocket --
    less of a chance of unwarranted attention by LEO's.
    Sumo magis ammo
    ​"The Second Amendment is not the right to shoot at deer. It's the right to shoot at the government if it is taken over by tyrants." -- Judge Andrew Napolitano
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Dolores Ibarruri

NYC and Roch are 2 worlds apart. In Roch. It's NYS laws with nothing added like NYC does. So no autos ,double edged, no knuckle duster handles but no ,restrictions on blade length . You can open carry fixed blades if you wish, although if some sheeple freaks out and calls, you will,be checked out.
    I've lost track of how maybe guys I've seen walking around the hood with a kitchen knife sticking out of their back pocket.

years back we had a well known bum, who walked around with a sword, everyone including the cops called him "The Sheik"
    Americans use 4 boxes, the soap box,ballot box,jury box then the ammo box.