Westchester home inspection
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OwnTheRide
  • 1 Post By CountyCorrectionOfficer

Thread: Westchester home inspection

Private

Default Westchester home inspection

I would like to hear about people's experience with the Westchester DPS home inspection. They say they look for a safe, security system, etc. Is an alarm system a requirement? Or can I get by with a decent safe?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Private

does this only apply if you have a handgun? i have long guns but no handguns.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak12 View Post
    I would like to hear about people's experience with the Westchester DPS home inspection. They say they look for a safe, security system, etc. Is an alarm system a requirement? Or can I get by with a decent safe?
    I'm confused. Are you talking about a general police inspection with a warrant?

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

Private

No, I am referring to their rule where they will not issue authorization for purchase of a fifth pistol until they do a home inspection. Crazy, right?

This kind of shit will only stand for as long as you let it. There is absolutely no legal basis for this requirement - it's just people adding their own anti-gun agenda on top of the already ridiculous NYS gun laws.
    Twogunwilly likes this.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by knuts View Post
    does this only apply if you have a handgun? i have long guns but no handguns.
    Applies only to handguns in Westchester County in which a pistol license has been issued by Westchester County Authorities.
    knuts likes this.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak12 View Post
    No, I am referring to their rule where they will not issue authorization for purchase of a fifth pistol until they do a home inspection. Crazy, right?
    Whoa. I had no idea that some counties have created policies like that. It sickening that our tax money goes towards funding things like this. Personally I would either refuse or not bother getting a fifth pistol. I personally do not own a safe, nor do I have any intention of doing so in the near future. I can't believe that they would essentially force you to buy an expensive item that you are not legally required to own in ANY jurisdiction in this country. What happens if they do this "inspection" and you don't have safe. Will they revoke your license? Then again, they wouldn't know how many pistols you have if NY wasn't the only state in this country that requires you to "register" every handgun you own.

Major

What part did they not under stand,

Shall Not Be infringed

It's sad... that's exactly the procedure in the Soviet Russia when a citizen applies for a hunting gun (rifle or shotgun). Police comes to your house to inspect the premises and can do so at any time afterwards. No warrants.

Private

Agreed that it's sad, and wrong. I just want to know, practically speaking, since I do live here, what the experience will be like and whether not having an alarm system is a deal breaker.

Private

I don't think alarm system is a deal breaker - they literally just need to see a safe - they don't open it or anything they just need to see a safe that will hold 5 guns. It can even be a Homak thin wall safe with barrel keys, doesn't have to be a door sized Liberty fireproof - it just needs to be a secure place to store them.
    Johnny Mo
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by kisangani View Post
    Whoa. I had no idea that some counties have created policies like that. It sickening that our tax money goes towards funding things like this. Personally I would either refuse or not bother getting a fifth pistol. I personally do not own a safe, nor do I have any intention of doing so in the near future. I can't believe that they would essentially force you to buy an expensive item that you are not legally required to own in ANY jurisdiction in this country. What happens if they do this "inspection" and you don't have safe. Will they revoke your license? Then again, they wouldn't know how many pistols you have if NY wasn't the only state in this country that requires you to "register" every handgun you own.

NJ also registers all hand guns

Private

Is this just Westchester?

TMC

Pistol registration by state
    Michigan
    MD is a weird place. There is "voluntary registration".
    NJ
    CA
    PA Called a " Data Base" with the Pa State police
    NY
    To name a few
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...tates_by_state
    Last edited by TMC; 04-21-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    PA Called a " Data Base" with the Pa State police
    This is a mis-characterization. There is a record of sales database in PA that records non-private sales within the state. PSP has been known to act as though it is a registry, but it is not.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.