Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boscobeans

Thread: Saratoga County Pistol Permit Questions

Private

Default Saratoga County Pistol Permit Questions

I'm in the process of getting my pistol permit for Saratoga County.... what an absolute pain. After a year of waiting for the Saratoga County course, I finally managed to get in and take that. I've filled out the application leaving the fingerprints and also the signature section towards the bottom ("Signature of Officer Administering Oath" section)

My main question is who exactly is needed to sign this section? A notary or a sheriff? I'm assuming a notary however the last notary I went to thought they weren't supposed to fill out that section. I've called around and have gotten conflicting information but as some of the people on these boards have gone through the process, I figured a general consensus could be formed.

Any information is greatly appreciated

Call the sheriifs office to verify. It has been many years for me since I filled it out, I believe that is for the notary though. Good luck, and set back and wait at least 9 months.
    Ruger SR9c
    S&W 28
    Walther P22
    Glock 22 - Gen 2
    Glock 17 - Gen 4
    Ruger 10/22
    Savage Axis .223 Remington

GSSF member, IDPA member

Yeah, that part is for the notary to sign. The notary is signing off that you are who you say you are, and that you are the one that signed the form. I had a notary at the village clerks office sign mine, but a year later when my brother went in she refused because "we don't sign those things here".

How can notary refuse to sign something! Im a notary and I will have to check as if the person has ID, has the form, pays the fee if the charge it, I dont think you can refuse to notarize a document based on beliefs and what not. Maybe Im wrong but Id be curious. I dont ever remember being told I can refuse to notarize anything. I can if person does not have id or all partys present but.....as Ive had guys try to come in and get life insurance stuff signed for changeing beneficary and I refuse if both wife and husband there to sign it together. The "my wife already signed it" trick dont work with me.

Hmmmmm interesting.

Just Found it. I guess If a notary does not want to sign a form, they dont GOTTA.....BUT you CANT refuse to sign a form based on race or religion of the signator.. So....I guess they can say no......hmmmm
    Last edited by 2wheeler; 06-06-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    GOD gave us 10 Commandments! now give me 10 bullets !!

I had a notary at the village clerks office sign mine, but a year later when my brother went in she refused because "we don't sign those things here".

C U next Tuesday!

Corporal

That section is for a notary to sign. I had a notary at my bank witness and sign off on the form. In Saratoga, you have to make an appointment to turn the application in - I had to wait two months just to turn in the application! Call the Sheriff's office now to set up your appointment to turn in the application - that is also when they'll electronically scan your fingerprints, and you'll have to pay the ridiculous fingerprinting fee. I've been fingerprinted for work and for my professional licenses, but these don't count apparently, I had to pay for another system to retain my fingerprints (that is probably incompatible with the other systems that already have my prints, including the FBI). End of rant.

After you wait for your appointment to submit your application, expect to wait 5-6 months for it to be processed and to receive your permit. All told, the entire process for me from scheduling the class to receiving the permit was about 8-9 months, in 2010. I think I got lucky with the classes, I didn't have to wait for a year, only a few months.

Once you get your permit, ammendments to the permit don't take too long, only 2 weeks on average in my experience.Of course I say it doesn't take too long by comparrison - after waiting for 5-6 months for the permit after submitting the application, 2 weeks for an amendment is a walk in the park.

so if I want to add a pistol to my permit it should take about 2 weeks?

Private

I'm awaiting my permit in Saratoga too. It hasn't been that long even though it seems like it! I was given some good advise so I thought I would pass it along. A dealer told us to wait until we get our paperwork done with the sheriff's office to schedule our class. We only had to wait 1 1/2 weeks to get in for our appointment and the women at the sheriffs office were very nice. I don't think they are as backed up as they were last year. I called to schedule our class just a week before our sheriffs appt. When asked if I had completed the paperwork with them, I stated that we had our appt's that week. I was told they were booked out through the end of the year but tried to rearrange the classes to accomodate those who had gone through the process and they would call me back. The next day they called and had me in the next class. Only 3 weeks from the date of our sheriffs dept appt! So in 5 weeks we completed everything. It's now been 3 weeks since we finished the class in May. 2 of my friends received their permits 3 weeks after completing the class in 2010 but since it hasn't even been 2 months since our initial application drop off, I doubt it will happen that quick. Although it would be nice

Corporal

If you want to add a pistol to your permit it should take two weeks or less in Saratoga County. I just received an amendment today for a purchase I made on May 28th - that's an 11 day turn around. I filled out the amendment at the dealer, and they submit it on my behalf. The amendment is given to them, and they mailed it to me. I've purchased a few pistols from them this way (Zack's Sports, in Round Lake, NY) and it is usually a quick and efficient affair. I ballpark the return around two weeks because some other dealers I've done buisness with were not quite as efficient in my experience. YMMV

This is a private sale so I am going in tomorrow to do the paperwork, thanks for the input

Seems like every county in this state has their own rules. In Putnam, we need to bring the paperwork in, no mailing in allowed. The good thing is amendments take less than 5 days. Some counties issue coupons in advance, so you can visit a shop and walk out with the gun. I like that, ALOT.

Seems like every county in this state has their own rules. In Putnam, we need to bring the paperwork in, no mailing in allowed. The good thing is amendments take less than 5 days. Some counties issue coupons in advance, so you can visit a shop and walk out with the gun. I like that, ALOT.

My friend has a permit in Delaware County and he recently went to the clerk and paid for 2 coupons, he bought a gun and had 7 days to notify the clerk of the transaction, he still has a coupon for another purchase on him

Quote Originally Posted by ADKeagle View Post
    Yeah, that part is for the notary to sign. The notary is signing off that you are who you say you are, and that you are the one that signed the form. I had a notary at the village clerks office sign mine, but a year later when my brother went in she refused because "we don't sign those things here".
    NEW YORK STATE
    §195.00 Official misconduct.
    A public servant (NOTARY) is guilty of official misconduct when, with intent to obtain a benefit or to injure or deprive another person of a benefit:
    1. He commits an act relating to his office but constituting an unauthorized exercise of his official functions, knowing that such act is unauthorized; or
    2. He knowingly refrains from performing a duty which is imposed upon him by law or is clearly inherent in the nature of his office.
    Official misconduct is a class A misdemeanor.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Notary Public Code of Professional Responsibility

I-A-3: Undue Cause for Refusal
    The Notary shall not refuse to perform a lawful and proper notarial act because of the signer’s race, nationality, ethnicity, citizenship, religion, politics, lifestyle, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation, or because of disagreement with the statements or purpose of a lawful document.

Call the COUNTY Clerks office and see if a violation has taken place.

IANAL
    OMO
    bosco
    ADKeagle likes this.

Well that is interesting boscobeans! I didn't think that they could pick and choose what they wanted to sign. It's water under the bridge now though...

Private

cancel , old post