Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have a NY CCW, why a Utah or Florida permit

Default Have a NY CCW, why a Utah or Florida permit

So here is my question. I have a NY CCW, why would I get a Utah and/or Florida permit ? Now I do have family in Florida and they have rifles and handguns. With keeping that in mind can I either buy my relatives guns from them or accept them as gifts using the Florida permit. The problem I see with these permits is that I would still have to puddle jump over Mass and Jersey to make any use for them. I will take all feedback. Thanks.

Also side note for FFL guys, if I take the Glock Armorers course, I understand I can service Glock pistols, does this fall into the gunsmith part of a FFL or I am looking too deep into that and can I service Glock pistols? I have other reasons for taking the armorers course but this peaked my interest.
    Ruger SR9c
    S&W 28
    Walther P22
    Glock 22 - Gen 2
    Glock 17 - Gen 4
    Ruger 10/22
    Savage Axis .223 Remington

GSSF member, IDPA member

The answer is very simple. For travel.
    Click here CCW Reciprocity Info | USConcealedCarry.com
    RIght now you can carry in 16 states.
    Get the Florida Non Resident and you can carry in 32 States.
    I Hope this answers your question.

As far as buying or transfering Handguns go your Florida license won't help you in NY
    You will have to have the guns shipped from FFL to FFL then get them added to your license in NY
    Last edited by BerettaGuy; 06-25-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: more info
    And I say to you forget the extremists. Itís simple; no one hunts with an assault rifle. No one needs ten bullets to kill a deer. Cuomo 2013 Never forget this SOB! BEWARE of Trolls! They could be UC on der Gouverneur's State Police Gun Squad.

Travel! U can carry concealed in states that honor them. Unload and separate as you travel through states that do not.

We give the Utah/ Florida CCW class at least twice a month, one in Erie and one in Chautauqua County. See our site for all of the details.
    Last edited by FTWNY; 06-26-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    info@ftwny.com

"Safety Doesn't Happen by Accident"

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firea...9341927?ref=hl

Private

Utah's permit will be a helluva lot cheaper in the long run. Utah's renewals are $15 while Florida's are like $107.

If you are interested, I'm teaching a Utah permit class in Scranton, Pa in August.

If you plan on servicing glock pistols as a business in NY you will require both an FFL for gunsmithing and a state dealer's license. The FFL alone only alows you long guns.

$.02
    -----------------
    Ron V
    Firearms Engraver 01FFL-NY Dealer-Gunsmith
    www.vmstu.com

Another reason is "because I can".

I have a Utah permit. I also have a PA permit. PA doesn't give me any extra states but I have it because reciprocity agreements change and states could stop giving out non-resident permits so I get the ones I can even if I don't really need them at the moment.
    Shootingbisq likes this.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Corporal

Hmmm,,I thought I read that Utah,,did "NOT" recognize NY CCW anymore !! Has anyone else heard this ?

Quote Originally Posted by M1a_scoutguy View Post
    Hmmm,,I thought I read that Utah,,did "NOT" recognize NY CCW anymore !! Has anyone else heard this ?
    URGENT UPDATE TO UTAH NONRESIDENT PERMIT HOLDERS AND SEEKERS | NY Firearms

I have a PA non-resident and am looking at UT and FL later...I prefer carrying concealed (vs. open) regardless of what state i'm in. I need to research more on IF any of these states require open carry.

For the PANR, it is honored in the following states (or at least this was accurate when i received mine 2/18/2011)
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Missouri
    Montana
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Oklahoma
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    Wyoming
    Last edited by Doc8404; 06-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Rob / Doc
    Master Chief
    HMCM(AW/FMF)
    DROWING article worth reading http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8362...ning-must-read

if you take the Utah permit class does that also qulaify you to apply for the Floriday non resident as well as CT, MA, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by guygus3516 View Post
    if you take the Utah permit class does that also qulaify you to apply for the Floriday non resident as well as CT, MA, etc?
    FL requires live fire so a UT class will not qualify. Pretty sure FL accepts the NRA basic pistol class.

If you look at number 6 on the Florida list of acceptable training you will see that Florida will accept a course conducted by an NRA instructor in the safe handiling of firearms. So you do NOT need live fire if the course is done right, but live fire is also accepted. Utah will not allow you talk about any other states laws. So the Florida law portion of the course must be done after the 4 hour Utah course is completed.
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    info@ftwny.com

"Safety Doesn't Happen by Accident"

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firea...9341927?ref=hl

I saw this place called Concealed Carry Weapons but they are in San Diego, it says that their course is good for Utah and FL, of course a little out of the way, also, I live north of Albany so Rochester is a bit of a hike too, looking for something closer, ccwusa.com

What if I also want to obtain a Florida Weapons Permit?

The Utah CFP Course is also accepted by Florida as satisfaction of their training requirement. When you attend our Utah CFP Course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion, a copy of which may be submitted with your Florida application.
    We will also provide for you an additional passport photo for your Florida application at no additional cost. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with fingerprinting for Florida, as Florida requires fingerprints to be taken by a law enforcement agency.

This is from Putnamshooters in Brewster NY, any of you downstaters interested in taking this class? It says they have none scheduled as of now. I am going to inquire about a minimum for a class and will post when I find out.

Private

FLA or UT? Go with FLA. Florida does not recognize non resident Utah permits. Also, New Hampshire and Maine do not recognize Ut or Fl non resident permits as well. I just applied for NH and ME's as I intend to do some traveling there in the future. I have a Ut and PA but should have applied for the Fl instead. Next is CT. Hope that this helps.

Bob

Not MA. In order to apply for MA, you need to take a class from a MASP certified instructor. You then need to submit a particular certificate, which MASP checks against the instructor's roster.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

One thing you have to consider: the Utah NR permit is not valid for carry in Florida so the two are not exactly the same. If your goal is to carry in Fla, then get the Fla permit.

And yes, once you have asked for and have been approved by the folks in Fla, they will accept the FULL Utah curriculum as acceptable training to apply for the Florida permit. It also MUST be conducted by an NRA Certified Instructor.

To attend the next one in the Western NY/Central NY area (Rochester, Syracuse, etc) Hit our site at Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York

We will be at the Bass Pro Shops on July 17 from 1030 to 430 for the Utah/Florida combined class. You can also opt to attend either the Utah or Florida permit only as well....

Dave
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

thanks for all the info guys

A very useful resource:
    Handgunlaw.us

Click on a state within the map and it shows you where you can carry. As an example, New York:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

IMO, the AZ permit now beats out the FL and UT permits.

$60 for initial application, $43 for renewals, very similar reciprocity profiles, and no state-specific training required (any live fire training, including hunters safety course or training you took for restriction lift in NY will qualify).

Not that training is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    IMO, the AZ permit now beats out the FL and UT permits.

$60 for initial application, $43 for renewals, very similar reciprocity profiles, and no state-specific training required (any live fire training, including hunters safety course or training you took for restriction lift in NY will qualify).

Not that training is a bad thing.
    I looked into Arizona, but I'm pretty sure they require you to take some kind of basic firearms training, and the training has to happen IN Arizona.

Found it:

Obtain a New Concealed Weapons Permit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

Here is the key phrase:

Applicants must satisfactorily complete a DPS approved Firearms Safety Training Program...DPS approved Firearms Safety training must take place within Arizona. Applicants trained outside of Arizona are subject to suspension or revocation, as well as the instructor and organization.

so?? is it better than Utah? Does FL reciprocate?

so?? is it better than Utah? Does FL reciprocate?
    Do you mean AZ? If so, there are a couple more states that Utah is good for that AZ isn't. Florida doesn't reciprocate with non-resident AZ, or non-resident Utah....which is why the dual UT/FL cert class is a good one. You get one more state with UT/FL, I can't remember which one.

From our site:

With Florida, you get the following states
    : Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington, Wyoming .

With the Utah Permit, you get the following:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming.

When you combine your NY with the Fla and Utah, you get 33 or 34 states. Look over the list and you will see the differences. Big ones are: You cannot CC in Florida on a NY or Utah permit. Florida ONLY ACCEPTS a resident permit.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast