Close

Corporal

Default Other than NYC, which County is the worst ...?

Other than NYC, which County is the worst when it comes to applying...and getting approved? I grew up on Long Island but left before I applied for a Permit...I lived in Suffolk County and looking at the police website it's a wonder anyone outside of LE gets to even hold much less buy a handgun...legally I mean. I knew a man from Nassau County who just turned in his (legal) handguns because he was tired of jumping through hoops..he still practices with a 22 rifle......So...okay, which county is the worst? I'm casting a vote for Suffolk....Moderators....can we set up a vote type thingy? Thanks in advance....Link to a map...not sure how to post pix...just call me Bubba...http://geology.com/state-map/maps/ne...county-map.gif
    Last edited by hudsonvalley; 07-31-2011 at 06:49 PM.

I know chemung is bad. You can get one with a clean record, but it is next to impossible to get an unrestricted permit.

let me say this. Onondaga is the worst. I have a restricted Onondaga County Permit, but yet have applied for and been granted a NYC Unrestricted Carry.

Go figure .....

Raymond Kelly decided I had just cause, and Judge Walsh decided I do not.

and also, let me say that it is nice, sometimes for employment, to not have to worry about that little piece of paper. It really is just a formality.

Erie County is pretty bad thanks to the City of Buffalo being within the County, takes a LONG time to get a CCW permit and they're almost always given with hunting/target restrictions.

Corporal

Nassau is pretty bad. My experience with applying for a pistol license led me to becoming active with Sportsman Association for Firearm Education (SAFE) (www.nysafe.org) . When I turned in my paperwork the assigned officer behind the counter looked at my last name then at the fingerprint appointment book in my full view, by passing open slot after open slot before picking a particular date. I said OK and then told the officer that just because my last name sounded Jewish: I was not and that I would definitley be there on Yom Kippur! I wish I could say my experience was an isolated incident but from my work with SAFE I know that it is not. I also had to call the pistol section after six months and prod them to move on my license by telling them that they had to either grant me the license or deny me as per NYS law. (something I learned by joining SAFE).

To be fair there are some real great people who work at NC PD pistol section but there are also quite a few who take the party line -- ecspecially since, Ms. Rice, our Attorney General is highly anti-2A.

I also had fun with my license renewal when I appeared in person a month early asking for the renewal forms sionce I spent a lot of time on the road installing data center storage area netorking equipment around the country. The run-around I got was unbeleiveable. The officer at the desk said they could not give me the renewal forms early due to the "Bardy Bill". I politely left after asking for names. I made a few phone calls to certain people I knew from SAFE about the my little renewal adventure. Two days later the forms came in the mail with a note to come in with a check anytime. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

It pays to get involved.
    "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by rjhauser View Post
    let me say this. Onondaga is the worst. I have a restricted Onondaga County Permit, but yet have applied for and been granted a NYC Unrestricted Carry.

Go figure .....

Raymond Kelly decided I had just cause, and Judge Walsh decided I do not.
    May I ask if you got your county license attached under SPECIAL or got a whole separate NYC Permit for business carry? In NYC, carry is only to protect the money...an issue I had with the idiot at 1PP when I made inquiries before I wasted the money.....
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    ---- Ronald Reagan

Nassau/Suffolk as a combination has to be the worse after NYC, then Westchester County. Anybody else upstate can follow after that.

I recieved a separate NYC license, totally unrestricted, and my cause was NOT money

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    May I ask if you got your county license attached under SPECIAL or got a whole separate NYC Permit for business carry? In NYC, carry is only to protect the money...an issue I had with the idiot at 1PP when I made inquiries before I wasted the money.....

We had a map of all the counties ranked best-worst.....

*edit*

go figure, it's a sticky at the top of this forum lol

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/pis...ermit-map.html
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by rjhauser View Post
    I recieved a separate NYC license, totally unrestricted, and my cause was NOT money
    No disrespect intended...It was my understanding that NYC only issued Business carry permits when large ca$h deposits were made...Honest, no disrespect. Just a little curious...but I won't ask...
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    ---- Ronald Reagan

Must be a celebrity or knows somebody down there

no, no one special.

i did not use any influence or employment in the factors to recieve it.

and the employment would have been a given. guaranteed issue.

i did it the old fashioned way, so if something happened to employment I did not run the risk of losing anything I had.

Sergeant

I also had a non restricted NYC carry permit, when I lived & worked down there years ago. I was in the private & personnel security business for the past 25 yrs & worked in all of the Boroughs, & in some of the worst neighborhood's back then, When I retired 11 years ago & moved upstate NY I re applied in my county for another Un restricted permit, I met with the county Judge etc. The question on the application stated, Reason for wanting a non restricted permit.? I answered it in the following way "My former career puts me at a Heightened level of Danger, violence, & Bodily harm." The judge looked at that answer & took in to consideration, What my past career was & stamped it NO restrictions, without batting an eye. Besides he is a cool guy, & Iv'e dealt with him over the years, On other county stuff, & He is a big pro gun advocate etc. But he is retiring at the end of this year, & I hope we get someone as good as he was, For the pistol permit consideration's.

Every county except Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Every county except Niagara

You better take a look at that map again

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG View Post
    I also had a non restricted NYC carry permit, when I lived & worked down there years ago. I was in the private & personnel security business for the past 25 yrs & worked in all of the Boroughs, & in some of the worst neighborhood's back then, When I retired 11 years ago & moved upstate NY I re applied in my county for another Un restricted permit, I met with the county Judge etc. The question on the application stated, Reason for wanting a non restricted permit.? I answered it in the following way "My former career puts me at a Heightened level of Danger, violence, & Bodily harm." The judge looked at that answer & took in to consideration, What my past career was & stamped it NO restrictions, without batting an eye. Besides he is a cool guy, & Iv'e dealt with him over the years, On other county stuff, & He is a big pro gun advocate etc. But he is retiring at the end of this year, & I hope we get someone as good as he was, For the pistol permit consideration's.
    Was this in Orange County? IF so I sure hope it is not Judge Berry, it will be a shame to lose him, Great Guy.
    Disabled American Veteran, I Bled for my Country...
    I'll bleed for my RIghts! FUAC!!

Private

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman522 View Post
    I know chemung is bad. You can get one with a clean record, but it is next to impossible to get an unrestricted permit.
    I wouldnt think chemung would be hard? I would think it would be faster than monroe at any rate