Close

Private

Angry Pistol Permit Wayne County

Just called Wayne County about time period for pistol permit
    They told me 7-8 months
    NYS
    Anyone can confirm that?

Got my ccw March of 09' in Wayne county...back then it was 2 months. I have heard recently it has taken up-wards of 5...so they may be telling you 7-8 just to be safe. They switched over to the new plastic cards earlier this year as well.

Jeff (teet)
    Glock 19---Bushmaster M4A3---Saiga 7.62 Restored---Ruger 10/22---Colt Sporter Match Hbar---GSG-522---Mosin Nagant 91/30

my sisters signed up on July 8th and were told not to expect them til around mid November early December. While that doesn't sound bad we were about 2 months in Chautauqua so it seems that the waiting time may be getting longer.

NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Private

I turned mine in back in february and when I called to check on it they said if I didn't hear anything by october to call back

Private

I turned mine in to Lyons on April 13th. I was under the impression that it would be a quick turnaround because it's wayne county. The sheriff called me last Wednesday and met with me to verify address. I'm hoping that the application is on its way to the judge.

By the way, I stopped checking the mail a long time ago. It just sets u up for disappointment

Bob

NYS Office of Mental Health is STILL severely backed up. It's delaying permits statewide.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

Corporal

Are you applying for permit or switching to plastic card? I have heard it takes a few months for original application, I got plastic card a few months ago, while filing amendment and it only took a couple of weeks.

Private

my boss did all his paper work between chtistmas and newyears 2010/2011. got his call from sherif in april to verify add. He still has not heard anything and has even called and they tell him its still being prossesed. I remember doing mine 1989 when i turned 21(wow) 8 months and i had my permit no restrictions of any kind. My last ammendment was probably 10-12 years ago and im afraid of buying a new hand gun for fear of restrictions beeing added.

cam z

I got my Wayne permit ~2 years ago. It took 6 weeks to process, but they told me it could take 3-4 months. I know several people who have moved to plastic, it took 1-2 weeks to process with no problems or additional restrictions added. My permit has already been through the washing machine twice so I am looking forward to plastic next time I amend.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people
    always possess arms." ~Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Member of the First U.S. Senate.

Private

How exactly does the process go about?

I was under the assumption that you put the application in, then it goes through a local background check, then to the state for a background check (knowing that they are backed up due to layoffs), then back to the county and the sheriff meets with you, then it's on to the judge to make the final decision.

IS that the correct process or am I totally off base?

I kill deer... and I like it Ragnar Danneskjold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZaloneR View Post
    How exactly does the process go about?

I was under the assumption that you put the application in, then it goes through a local background check, then to the state for a background check (knowing that they are backed up due to layoffs), then back to the county and the sheriff meets with you, then it's on to the judge to make the final decision.

IS that the correct process or am I totally off base?
    1. Show up by appointment only, pay fee, get fingerprinted, and get two copies of application to fill out at home. This begins the background investigation.

2. Turn in application. Once your background investigation is completed, this gets your name on the list of people the Sheriff's office needs to contact to schedule a home visit (they just meet you at your door, ask how long you've lived there, shake your hand, then leave).

3. That officer turns the application over to the County Clerk who gives it to the judge for his signature.

4. The judge signs it, gives it to the County Clerk's office, and they process/mail the permit.

It took me 4 weeks and 6 days (June 2011-July 2011), but I held onto my application for a couple months so the background legwork was already done on me prior to dropping off my completed application.

Private

Yea that was my impression. I've done all that stuff already and met with the sheriff last wednesday. I was shocked by camz's post with regards to his boss doing all the paperwork and meeting with the sheriff in april and still hasn't recieved the permit and it's mid august already

I changed my paper to plastic a few months ago in Niagara county. Went to the clerks office and it took about 15 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Danneskjold View Post
    2. Turn in application. Once your background investigation is completed, this gets your name on the list of people the Sheriff's office needs to contact to schedule a home visit (they just meet you at your door, ask how long you've lived there, shake your hand, then leave).
    This must be something they added within the last 2 years. I had no such visit.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people
    always possess arms." ~Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Member of the First U.S. Senate.

I kill deer... and I like it Ragnar Danneskjold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishDude View Post
    This must be something they added within the last 2 years. I had no such visit.
    I think they started doing that because people from other counties were using relatives addresses to get permits faster. At least that's what I got from a couple comments the visiting officer made when I started asking questions.

Now the people who use their relatives addresses have to actually go to their relatives house for a few minutes at the designated time the officer said he'll stop by so it looks legit. It's a really airtight solution.

Perhaps adding: "Can I please see a copy of a utility bill with your name on it?" would make a difference.

Private

Has anybody heard anything new about the status of New York State MHO and still backing up our apps?

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by ZaloneR View Post
    Has anybody heard anything new about the status of New York State MHO and still backing up our apps?
    it appears that they're starting to clear out the backlog. It took roughly 6 weeks from when I submitted my application in Monroe Cty. to when they got my packet back from Albany with everything signed off (DCJS and OMH).

X2. I just got an e-mail form a guy that got his in 2 months. The MHO thing seems to have gone away. I still believe it was done on purpose too...
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​50. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Private

I'm just mindboggled that I keep hearing people getting their permits in such a short time. Today has been 5 months since turning it into the clerks office and getting confirmation that the sheriffs office also got it.