Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dropped off my Pistol Permit App...

Sergeant

Default Dropped off my Pistol Permit App...

Hello All,

I just dropped off my pistol permit application on Wednesday. It was not a bad experience and went rather quickly. I asked why we were forced to sign off on a "Sportsman" restriction in order to apply and was told that the judge doesn't grant anything but that or less. They said they wouldn't even take my application without the form. Wanting my permit, I just went with it and filled the form out.

They said I should be called for fingerprints within 2-3 weeks and then it could take 6 months after that.

So, we will wait and see. Seems like it has taken anywhere from 3-6 months for others in the big county...

Good luck with the application. Forcing you to sign off on a Sportsman restriction seems unfair (at best) but hopefully you can have that removed in the future. It took me 13 years before I applied to have restrictions removed and (to my surprise) they were. Recommend going to some good "live fire" courses after you get your permit.

Good luck with it and I hope it goes sooth and quickly for you! Now it's time to start window shopping, got a handgun picked out yet?

I'm in Cortland County, years ago when I got my first permit the judge at that time only gave unrestricted permits if you "had a good reason", you had to go before him and explain why you needed to carry at any time. "It's my right" and "I want too" wasn't good enough. I was told if I carried large sums of money for a living, like a bank manager, then that was a good reason. My reply was, "So I can protect $1000 but my life isn't worth protecting?"

Rather then muck up the works and slow up the process I settled for checking the "hunting & target shooting" box on the application. When the current judge came into office he did away with those restrictions, anyone wanting the restrictions lifted had to re-apply which I did. He also lifted the five year renewal the former judge had.

If you have deep pockets and want to fight city hall, I think you could force them to take your application without signing off for any sportsman restriction before being issued a permit. Doesn't mean the judge is required to issue you a permit without restrictions, but the issue to refuse to take your permit, I don't think they can do that. Maybe there's a case there for discrimination here?

I'm not a lawyer but my wife really is a manager of a Holiday Inn Express, I'll run it by her LoL.

In reality, I know there is no point fighting it, go with the flow even though it stinks. Best way to fight city hall is with your vote, talking to your neighbors and letters to the editor. When you get a new judge reapply for a new permit.

The Ignore List is your friend --> http://nyfirearms.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Sergeant

Thanks for the replies. I am hopeful that it goes smooth. Nothing bad in my background (that I am aware of at least).

Yeah, at this point, I am not sure anyone is really in a position to fight the sportsman restriction. I am pretty sure the current judge has been doing it this way for a while, I guess I just wondered why you couldn't apply for the unrestricted, and at worst he would only give you the restrictions... but I guess at least this way I pretty much know what I can and will not be able to do.

I have picked out my first handgun (well, it is at least down to 2). The S&W M&P 9 or the Glock 19. My second purchase will be one as close to the first in a .22 so I can get more shooting in cheaper. I currently have a S&W MP-15 and MP 15-22 and shoot the 15-22 like 10 times more often because of how cheap it is.

I will keep the thread updated with my journey through the process.

Thanks

That signing thing is BS but if you can't afford a class action lawsuit (who can?) take what you can get and keep trying, and vote that person out next time you get the chance

Sergeant

Just got a call from the Sheriff's office for fingerprinting tomorrow. 1 week and 1 day after dropping off the application..

Sergeant

After showing up for the fingerprinting last Thursday, deputy that does the printing called in sick and they didn't bother to call me. I drove 30 minutes there and 30 back while having to take time off from work. Was told to come back the next morning at 6:30am but I was going out of town so I had to pass. I told them I would call on Tuesday to re-schedule and they said fine. So, the deputy called me at 6am on Monday (on a holiday, not that I was sleeping in or anything) to schedule an appointment on Tuesday afternoon. Even though I have to take more time off from work, I agree to a 3:15pm appt again knowing it would be a 30 minute drive both ways. I was just about to leave work for the appt and get a call from the deputy... they got too busy and had to re-schedule, hey at least they called right. Only time for the next 2 weeks was tonight at 6:15pm. so it was cancel evening plans and go get fingerprinted. It took no more than 5 minutes to get printed electronically. The deputy told me that the fingerprints got sent to Albany for verification and as soon as they came back as OK (2-3 days) that the file would be passed to my village Police Department to start the investigation. She said it should take 6-7 months from this point.

This whole process is just frustrating, making you jump through hoops that seem to take people (officers for that matter) away from "real" job responsibilities and they definitely make you think that you are in the way. They had to hold off processing a DWI arrest because they were using the fingerprint machine for me.

So, mostly a vent, but again I leave telling myself that this will be worth it!!!

Default It use to be easy

Quote Originally Posted by joshiemac25 View Post
    After showing up for the fingerprinting last Thursday, deputy that does the printing called in sick and they didn't bother to call me. I drove 30 minutes there and 30 back while having to take time off from work. Was told to come back the next morning at 6:30am but I was going out of town so I had to pass. I told them I would call on Tuesday to re-schedule and they said fine. So, the deputy called me at 6am on Monday (on a holiday, not that I was sleeping in or anything) to schedule an appointment on Tuesday afternoon. Even though I have to take more time off from work, I agree to a 3:15pm appt again knowing it would be a 30 minute drive both ways. I was just about to leave work for the appt and get a call from the deputy... they got too busy and had to re-schedule, hey at least they called right. Only time for the next 2 weeks was tonight at 6:15pm. so it was cancel evening plans and go get fingerprinted. It took no more than 5 minutes to get printed electronically. The deputy told me that the fingerprints got sent to Albany for verification and as soon as they came back as OK (2-3 days) that the file would be passed to my village Police Department to start the investigation. She said it should take 6-7 months from this point.

This whole process is just frustrating, making you jump through hoops that seem to take people (officers for that matter) away from "real" job responsibilities and they definitely make you think that you are in the way. They had to hold off processing a DWI arrest because they were using the fingerprint machine for me.

So, mostly a vent, but again I leave telling myself that this will be worth it!!!
    It use to be easy, you got the finger print cards with the application and any NY police officer could print you and sign the cards. On my first application I went through a hassle kind of like your story above with one local dept. Next time around I just stopped in a couple small town police dept's during my work route until I found one that said, "sure, we'll do it right now"

I've also had to get prints done many times for other NY licensing applications, luckily those are all up to you when and where you get them done, so long as they are done in NY.

Well at least your one step closer, hope it goes smoother and quikly for you! And yes, it's all worth it! Remember, unless you have some thing barring you from owing a handgun, it's your right to be issued a permit. This is only a screening process to make sure there is nothing barring you from possession, it's not a decision of the government of who shall and shall not be allowed to own a handgun. The law states, "shall issue" not "may issue",

The Ignore List is your friend --> http://nyfirearms.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Quote Originally Posted by Benellinut View Post

Well at least your one step closer, hope it goes smoother and quikly for you! And yes, it's all worth it! Remember, unless you have some thing barring you from owing a handgun, it's your right to be issued a permit. This is only a screening process to make sure there is nothing barring you from possession, it's not a decision of the government of who shall and shall not be allowed to own a handgun. The law states, "shall issue" not "may issue",

Uhh, NY is a MAY issue state, not SHALL issue...
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​54. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    Uhh, NY is a MAY issue state, not SHALL issue...

OK, I stand corrected

I'm easy to get along with ;-)

Corporal

May issue CCW. I believe that the permit itself (ie, to possess) is shall issue if you meet the requirements (and most definitely would be after McDonald v Chicago).

I'm sure that Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties wouldn't be issuing even hunting/target permits if they didn't have to.

^^Negative. I heard people on these forums getting denied for reasons such as "You don't show ENOUGH interest in hunting, camping, etc." Denied.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    ^^Negative. I heard people on these forums getting denied for reasons such as "You don't show ENOUGH interest in hunting, camping, etc." Denied.
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Benellinut View Post
    PM sent
    PM replied to.

So again, I will say, in this state you can be denied for nearly everything. The post I was referring to was actually the guy's wife that got denied because she only showed a casual interest in hunting or target shooting or something. Long story short, if this state feels like not giving you a permit, you won't get one.

Darthgamer is correct NY is a may issue state

Attached Images Attached Images

Sergeant

Just got a call from the local PD. Have my face to face interview on Monday @ 10am.

It will be good to get this next step checked off of the list. Hopefully all will go well and he might have an idea of the timeline from here. It is almost 3 months to the day I got fingerprinted.

Will update after the interview.

Already have a local gun store preparing my first order: S&W M&P45 (109106) and 22 (122000) - NY Legal of course.

Sergeant

Had my face to face interview this morning with an investigator for the local PD. It was a really good time. Having a local PD that is Pro-2A when the county judge feels it is a privilege rather than a right is very refreshing. Was a good conversation and it went well.

He expects it to be off of his desk this week after he reaches all of my references and off his boss's desk by the end of next week.

1 step closer to the permit.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by joshiemac25 View Post
    Had my face to face interview this morning with an investigator for the local PD. It was a really good time. Having a local PD that is Pro-2A when the county judge feels it is a privilege rather than a right is very refreshing. Was a good conversation and it went well.

He expects it to be off of his desk this week after he reaches all of my references and off his boss's desk by the end of next week.

1 step closer to the permit.
    Hey, thanks for the updates. I dropped of my app in October, and had my interview just before the holidays. Please keep posting with any new updates. What shop are you going through for your pistols, is it here in St. Lawrence county?

Good luck. Thats a heck of alot more than I went through. No face to face and fingerprints and photo were taken when I dropped the papers off. Still took 9 months to get, but I think thats because Ive lived in multiple other states in the past.

Sergeant

@M1sterM - I am working with Performance Shooting in Constable, in Franklin County. The owner, Mike, has been very quick in responding to my emails asking pricing questions, and I ask a lot of questions. I purchased a Stag Model 3 from them and the service is great. Very well stocked shop. They have almost every well selling Glock model in stock on most days and have some nice Kimbers also. They have a page on Facebook if you are looking for them.

Sergeant

Going in on Friday to put money down on a S&W M&P45c with no thumb safety. I am about 4 months into what is around a 6 month process lately here in the big county... but I have heard the 45c has been hard to come by, so I want to give the shop time to locate the gun before my permit is in hand.
    jba999 likes this.

Sergeant

Just called the permit office today. They're still waiting to get the investigation back from the state police. The investigator said he had hoped to finish up the investigation and turn it all in by the holidays, so I'm hoping he's just behind, and it didn't get lost somewhere!

Sergeant

M&P 45c is now on order with money down. Finally got to the shop after the past Friday not working out with bad weather. So, now waiting for the permit process to finish and hopefully the pistol will be at the shop when it comes through...

Sergeant

After calling the permit office 2 weeks ago, and them telling me they hadn't received the investigation back from the SP yet, my permit just showed up in the mail today!
    When I dropped off my app, I also asked about adding my two pistols that I own (in storage in a different state) and they said I could do that when I picked up my permit...
    Thanks for the recommendation about Performance. He's already gotten back to me with some prices.

Sergeant

@ M1sterM - I would love to get home to find my permit waiting one of these days.

Performance is great about getting back to me. Prices are right about that you find online plus FFL fees, so a wash and I like supporting someone close when I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast