Close

Default Pistol Permit upgrade

This is mostly for residents of Erie County, anyone can, by all means chime in also. I have had my permit just shy of 1 year. I have Target and hunting restrictions. I am getting prepared to submit for unrestricted, I was thinking about using the following: I am a Military Police officer first and foremost, I have recently been issued my PA PP, I was going to explain that I do a lot of traveling through PA as well as West Virginia. I have family in WV and they have property that I have open access to for what ever use I need it for. I was going to put on the application that I want to always be compliant with the laws concerning my restrictions. If I travel around the state to get down to PA and WV as my sole purpose, carrying my weapon would be in violation.?

Any thoughts from anyone on this? Also, any other suggestions to put on application?

Thanks in advance

I'm by no means an expert in this but recently had restrictions removed from my permit (Orange county). First off, I think its complete BS that an MP even needs to go through this process, but I suppose that's what we have to deal with in NY. I would focus on reasons you need to carry in NYS, not through other states (you can lock in a box unloaded and travel with your existing permit). Personal protection for me and my while in the course of (fill in the blanks) and all other lawful purposes is the gist of what I used in my letter. In my case, I don't have prior military or LEO experience, so that should definitely be a plus for you. I would stress whatever training you have had and understanding (and respect) for NY Art. 35. I took a specific course for unrestricted carry from Rochester Personal Defense and I highly recommend it, even though it would probably be mostly redundant for you. I also gave an appendix of about 25 books and videos that I have read/studied on CCW, etc. If you have a gun safe, I would also mention that (i.e., securely store your guns when not in use) in your letter. Also, I was told to avoid the term "weapon" in your letter preferring "gun", "pistol" or "firearm" instead. For whatever its worth, I hope this helps. Good luck.

Corporal

Former MP here looooooong time ago, I got a CCW in 2008 I submitted my DD213 which had firearms qualifications and MP school graduation dates the one time that I verbally mentioned that I was a former MP the LEO I was talking to said "Its not the same thing" with that I said no more but imop its best if to show your background on official paper rather than verbally say your a Military Policeman.

Stick to NY state. The judge may not like that you will be looking to travel out of NY with your handgun (BTW, get a Utah or FLA permit - see other threads here)

Also, obtain some relevant, civilian training so that you can show current competency and education on NY carry laws and skills. That always helps
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

I agree with Dave on sticking to NY State and on getting a Utah/Florida permit. The judge will care about the training and experience that you have. He will not care about the out of state stuff. When you put together your reason, e-mail it to me. I proof read about 4 or 5 a day for Erie County residents and help them with the wording.

E-mail me directly here james@ftwny.com
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    info@ftwny.com

"Safety Doesn't Happen by Accident"

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firea...9341927?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    I agree with Dave on sticking to NY State and on getting a Utah/Florida permit. The judge will care about the training and experience that you have. He will not care about the out of state stuff. When you put together your reason, e-mail it to me. I proof read about 4 or 5 a day for Erie County residents and help them with the wording.

E-mail me directly here james@ftwny.com
    Thank you, I will do just that. By the way, not trying to sound to ignorant, what type of classes are you guys talking about?

Check here:
    Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York

This course has the background and standing to help.

Or look up the Defensive Pistol Skills 101.

ANY training of this sort, either thru me, Chris at MDTS, or Jim at FTWNY can only increase your chances of the UNrestricted permit. There's no way it can hurt
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Being in the military gives some of us an added, built in reason to have a unrestricted firearms license. Here's what I used (first time, not getting an upgrade). It went something like this:

Being in the military makes my family and me more of a target for an attack.

Stating any military firearms training you received, etc. will help as well. While I agree civilian training is good, I won't say it will help get the restrictions lifted in Erie County.
    Last edited by RyanPNF; 10-09-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Easier to read