Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pistol permit information by county

Default Pistol permit information by county

We are starting to gather information on what steps are needed to obtain a pistol permit in various counties. If you would like to share a step by step process for your county please PM me with the info and I will post it here. I will include the username of the person that sent me the info (unless you want to be anonymous for some reason).

In order to make this thread user friendly I am going to keep it locked so that only admin can post in it. This is not meant to censor anyone but rather keep people from scrolling through pages and pages of posts to look for info on a county. If everyone here thinks that's a bad idea and want's it unlocked speak up via PM or a new post.

If you disagree with any info in any of the posts or want to add information to any county by all means feel free to PM me or start a new thread with your thoughts. I'm on the site a lot and will edit or add any info from other threads or PMs to the appropriate county info to keep the info consolidated to one place so all info on one county is in one spot.

Currently Have information for:
    Delaware
    Monroe
    Wayne
    Schenectady
    Oneida
    Onondaga
    Town of Colonie (Not the rest of Albany County)
    Dutchess
    Genesee
    Herkimer
    Cortland
    Niagara
    Chautauqua
    Rockland
    Westchester
    Livingston
    Washington
    Albany
    Ontario
    Erie
    Yates
    Orange
    Clinton
    Steuben
    Franklin
    Ulster
    Allegany
    Broome
    Seneca
    Montgomery
    Columbia
    Sullivan
    Cayuga
    Rensselaer (Not residents of East Greenbush, NY)
    Last edited by Jeff; 03-26-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    XAmmo likes this.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Default Re: Pistol permit information by county

from Zippy

Delaware County

Pick up application at Pistol Clerk in Courthouse (Delhi)
    Fill out application in duplicate.
    Return to clerk with payment.
    Pick up fingerprint cards and reference forms (4).
    Prints are taken at County EOC (Jail) by a Sheriff Deputy.
    6 month+ wait will start once your reference letters are turned in.

References have to be from Delaware County.
    Delaware County seems to be very pro but does make you wait. I am now going on just over 6 months. I just received my call from the investigator this past weekend and all looks good.

from darkvibe
    updates from cooden on 2/3/09
    update from ScotchMan on 5/18/2013

Monroe County

Qualifications:

Must be a county resident for at least 6 months. If you have been a resident for 3 years you will need 4 references that have known you for at least 3 years and live in Monroe county. If you have been a county resident for at least 6 months but less than 3 years you will need 4 references from Monroe county that have known you as long as you have lived in the county plus another 3 references from your previous place of residence. Those 3 have to be notarized.

The process:

1. Pick up an application at the County Clerk's office (39 W. Main St., Rochester, NY, 14614, also available by mail) The application is free. You can now also download the application online at this site: http://www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php Pistol Permit Information Phone number: 585 753-1642.

2. Fill out the application including 4 character references (plus 3 additional if you have been a resident for less than 3 years, see note above). Read the directions which include using black ink.

3. Get color photos (passport photos). Size is stated in the directions as well as "lightweight photo paper". Get your own or get them at the county clerk's office for $7.

4. Bring your completed application to get your finger prints done. If you live in the City of Rochester your prints are done by the city police. The Rochester Police Department charges $30 to get your fingerprints. Get them at the Public Safety Building, 185 Exchange Boulevard, 1:00-3:00 p.m. Mon-Fri. If you live outside of the city you get your finger prints done at by the Sheriffs at Sheriff’s Headquarters, Records Unit located in the Monroe County Public Safety Building on the Civic Center Plaza, 130 South Plymouth Avenue, Rochester, New York 14614. Phone, 585 753-4522. Times: Monday through Thursday, 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m.; and Friday, 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. Fee is $25

5. Bring your finger prints, photos, payment and application to the County Clerk's office, County Office Building, 39 West Main Street between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Mon-Fri. Payment required is a POSTAL money order for $105.25 (this is the only form of payment accepted when handing in the permit application) made payable to NYS DCJS. You will also need another $5 cash when turning it in. They will notarize your application and take the thumb print of your shooting hand when you turn everything in.

County Clerk's Website:
    County Clerk | Monroe County, NY

I've talked to a few people who have gotten permits recently. All have told me that the sheriff calls the applicant as well as all character references. The county does issue unrestricted permits. I used "Hunting, Target/Competition and personal protection" on the form where it asks for reason for applying. Myself and some others who I asked that had personal protection as a reason were all issued unrestricted permits.

Update:
    Effective Monday, November 1, 2010:
    You may visit the Monroe County Clerk's Office at 39 West Main Street, Room 101, Rochester, NY 14614 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to pick up your pistol permit application packet free of charge.

Update 3/13/11 from Doxlie:
    When I turned in the application, they took a credit card for payment so it wasn't necessary to get a postal money order.

Update 5/3/11 from pmcjuryny:

Just some additional information for the Pistol permit application process for Monroe county. I am currently waiting for the judge to sign mine so this should be pretty up to date.

You no longer go to get finger printed before turning in your application, you turn in the application, pay all the fees at once to the county clerk, including the finger print fee, and then go to the sheriffs dept or to RPD if you live in the city.

Also you do not technically have to live in the county at all. If your primary place of employment is located in the county you can also apply in monroe county as well. That is what I am doing.

Pistol Permit Amendment Requirements

Adding a pistol (directly from Monroe County's site)

Amending a Pistol Permit

The permit holder must appear in person whenever he or she wishes to add or delete a firearm from the license. The cost to complete an amendment to your permit is $3.

Adding a Gun from an Individual - When a gun is obtained from an individual, a dated notarized bill of sale or a notarized statement of permission is required to add it to the new owner’s permit.
    • The bill of sale or consent statement must show the names, addresses, pistol permit carry numbers and the original date of issue of both the seller’s and the buyer's permit.
    • The gun must be described by make, caliber, serial number and whether the gun is a revolver or semi-automatic.
    • A Bill of Sale will indicate that the seller will be removing the firearm(s) from their permit and will be transferring ownership to the buyer. The seller must also take the firearm off their permit by completing an amendment.
    • A Consent Form indicates that the two individuals involved in the transaction will be co-registering the gun.
    • * Please note that you must be updated with a background Brady check prior to the addition of any firearm from an individual. This check must be completed once every 5 years and there is no cost to the permit holder. Please stop into our office with your pistol permit to complete the paperwork. You will receive the completed Brady check in the mail in approximately 4 to 6 weeks and this is to be kept for your own personal records. Once you receive this paperwork, you will be allowed to add firearms from an individual.

Adding a Gun from a Dealer - When a gun is obtained from a dealer, the original bill of sale on dealer’s letterhead, is required.
    • The bill of sale must list the seller’s name, address, phone number, federal firearms license number, New York State Dealer License number, and description of the gun.
    • Once you have added the gun with the Monroe County Clerk's Office, you will be issued a coupon to present to the dealer to pick up your gun.
    • Federal law provides that pistols obtained or sold out of state may be shipped in or out of state only by a licensed dealer.

Adding a Gun from a Deceased - In order to add a gun from a deceased person, you will need a custody report from a police agency or receipt from a dealer, a Letter of Testamentary from Surrogate's Court that shows the appointment of an Executor or Administrator of the estate, a notarized statement from the Executor or Administrator of the estate granting permission to the person wishing to add the gun, and the permit of the decedent or a copy of the death certificate. You may contact Surrogate's Court for proper paperwork at 585-428-5200.

Removing a pistol
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 05-18-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: beginning to add amendment info

from ddan24
    update 4/20/10 from monoacp
    update 12/17/12 from JebNY
    update 4/8/13 from damm315er

Wayne County

STEP 1
    Call this number (315-946-5790) and set an appointment to apply for a pistol permit with the sheriffs records office. They are processing a lot of these, so your appointment may be weeks or even months away.

STEP 2
    Drive to the Sheriff's records office which is located outside the jail which is between Newark and Lyons. You will need your driver’s license and $121.50 in CASH. Make sure your license has your current address. If not, write it on the back. You will also need your employer's address. (note from darkvibe, as of 1/12/09 they are operating by appointment only) (note from JebNY, 12/17/12 - Sheriff office visit is in a newly remodeled building now that was the old county home, next to the old location.) Pay $121.50. They will take your cash and make a photocopy of your license, then have you read and sign paperwork from the judge about the concealed carry permit. Then they will electronically fingerprint you and take your picture. They will print out two copies of the application with your fingerprints on them and affix a picture of you on each. They will also give you a packet of information that you must fill out and return. When you receive the pages with your prints and picture you must sign the back of them right there in front of the deputy. You will leave the sheriffs office with both cards and the packet.

STEP 3
    You are required to have 4 signatures from Wayne County residents if you have lived in Wayne county over 3 years. (for less than 3 years residing in Wayne county, you also need 3 references on a supplemental notarized form from your prior residence county) You will want to select people carefully. There is no required time period that you must have known them as there is in many other counties. Both copies need to be notarized and that most banks will do this free of charge. When filling in the cards and information packet, be sure to check "carry concealed" and have a reason for doing so as it is required on the application. Make sure you have this thought through when you answer them later about the reason.

STEP 4
    Purchase a pistol or get the pistol 'consent' from a relative. There is a page in the packet for consent to use someone elses pistol, they must be a direct relative to have the firearm on your permit. This form must also be notarized if you use it. If purchasing from a shop, they will hold the firearm until you receive your permit. Bring the receipt from the shop with you to step 5

STEP 5

Drive to the County office Building in Lyons (not the sheriffs office where you were fingerprinted) to submit your two applications, pistol information and the pages of the packet with RETURN in the upper right corner.

Notes:

Additions and amendments are done at the County Clerk’s office not the Sheriff's trailer. The Clerk is in the Village of Lyons (about 2 miles further east) in the County Office Bldg. at 9 Pearl St. The average time it takes for the first visit to the Sheriff's trailer is 30 minutes (per person), but if there is a line it could take an hour or two. When we arrived there were 3 people ahead of us and when we left there was a line of 6 waiting. I'm assuming that everyone is trying to get it done before the end of the year. The staff was very helpful and very kind. Keep in mind that they have heard every excuse, so just be honest with them. For reasons - I had them write in "Target Practice, Personal Protection (Transports Expensive Equipment)". I explained it in further detail, but that was all they wrote. They require a reason for personal protection. The judge will read it and approve/not approve based on your reasoning, so make sure you have it thought through.

update 6/12/10 from darkvibe:

Wayne county also has their permit application rules online here:
    http://www.co.wayne.ny.us/department...n rules 09.pdf

Some notable items from the linked document:

Individuals applying for purposes of hunting must exhibit a NYS hunting license or certification from the NRA of completion of a firearms course. Personal protection must be explained, i.e. transporting large sums of money, security guards, etc. Competitive pistol shooting must have an affidavit sworn to by the team captain or manager.

Update 12/17/12 from JebNY: Current time for total process as of a coupe of weeks ago when I got mine was a few days short of 6 months from turning in the paper work, not counting an almost month wait to pick up the paper work. Took almost exactly 2 weeks after the deputy visit.
    Last edited by Jeff; 04-08-2013 at 06:00 PM.

from boscobeans with updates from amajr316 with updates from rmergen (12/17/12)

Schenectady County

1. Get application from Schenectady County - Departments - County Clerk - Pistol Permits

2. Take one of the required courses listed on the application direction sheet.

3. Take the handgun safety course certificate to a gun store and purchase a pistol. (they will keep the pistol for you until you either get your permit or are denied.) Make a photo-copy of the bill of sale from the gun store and include it with your application.

4. Fill out the applications. Three copies, BLACK INK, references must sign each copy.. BE SUPER NEAT. These must be notarized.

5. References: Each will fill out and return the form to the Sheriff's office, and be sure to have your references SIGN your application!. GIVE THEM EACH A STAMPED SELF-ADDRESSED ENVELOPE TO SPEED THINGS UP.

One can and should be your spouse... NO other relatives. No elected officials.. Law enforcement agency members are OK.

** It is important to know that these references must be completed and returned to the sheriff's office BEFORE you come in to be fingerprinted. Once all four of your references have been received by the Schenectady County Sheriff, you will receive a letter stating that you are ready to move on in the process.

6. A letter to the Judge must be included. WHY YOU NEED A PISTOL PERMIT AND WHAT YOU WILL DO WITH IT..
    Hunting/Target/Recreational shooting etc. are good reasons.. Self defense IS NOT ..... Without some kind of really, really, really, very, very very good and provable reason. This must be notarized. (update 12/17/12 according to rmergen who is currently waiting to meet with the judge - "good reason(s) to put are: "hunting, hiking, fishing, camping, target/recreational shooting, and home and personal protection." these were the exact words my instructor told me to use and I have had no issues/delays.")

7. Three 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 inch photos. Passport quality (CVS OR ANY OTHER PHOTO SHOP).

Take the following items to the Sheriff's office at 320 Veeder Ave. (the jail)

4 photos
    3 notarized application forms, filled out in black ink and notarized, each with a 1.5x1.5 passport photo attached with GLUE (NO STAPLES)
    1 legible photo-copy of pistol purchase (If you choose to buy a gun from a private seller, you will need a NOTARIZED bill of sale showing model, caliber, etc as well as a photocopy of the front and back of the sellers pistol permit.)
    1 notarized letter to the Judge telling where you have lived and worked for the last 5 years, why you want a pistol, and how it will be secured.
    1 copy of your pistol safety course certificate (valid for 6 months)
    1 Money order for $115.25 Made out to Schenectady County (The Sheriff will not accept cash, credit, bank or personal checks.)
    If you have ever been arrested (yes, even for the silly things you did as a kid, which may have been dismissed), you must include a sealed or stamped letter of disposition from the court as well as a notarized letter to the judge explaining the details of the arrest as well as the outcome of the case.

You will be fingerprinted and that's it. You are done. The rest is up to the FBI, the Sheriff's office and the Judge.
    If all the background checks come back and you are recommended for approval, you will have to sit down with the Judge, who I hear is a pretty decent guy. If you are approved you will go to the Town Clerk's office and pay $10.00 and get your photo permit issued. You will also get a coupon that allows you to go back to the gun store and take possession of your pistol.

NOTE WELL THAT ITEMS 4, 5 AND 6 MUST BE NOTARIZED.
    Last edited by Jeff; 12-17-2012 at 07:26 PM.

from GreytSilly with updates from RalphXL and Kader

Oneida County

Oneida County has this web site with information about what you need to do to get your permit.

http://oneidacountysheriff.us/main/pistolpermits.aspx
    http://ocgov.net/oneida/pistolpermits/applinfo

In addition, once you receive your application, you must have 4 references from Oneida County and have known you at least 5 years sign the applications. When you have the applications completed, make an appointment to have your fingerprints taken. If you live in the cities of Rome or Utica, this is done at the city police department, all others will have to go to the Oneida County Sheriff's Department for their prints. When you arrive to have your finger prints taken you need a postal money order for $25 for the fingerprints (UPD, Rome City Treasurer, or Oneida County Sheriff), and one for $105.25 made out to the NYS Division of Criminal Justice for the background check. Your references will receive a questionnaire to complete and have notarized and return to the pistol office via mail. Then you just have to wait, most permits are currently taking approximately 4 months. Oneida County Pistol Office offers photo service for a fee, you can get your necessary photos done when you pick up your application. Once the permit is ready, you will need to purchase a handgun, bring the information of the sale with you and pick up your permit. The gun will be added to your permit and you will be provided with a pickup slip to get your gun from the seller.

Cost:
    Application $5
    Finger Prints $25 (Must be a Postal Money Order)
    Background check $105.25 (Must be a Postal Money Order)
    Pick up permit $10
    Laminate permit (optional) $3
    Photos at permit office $10
    NRA Pistol Safety Course at Gander Mtn. $40

update 1/14/10 - They have changed the postal money orders in Oneida Co. for background and fingerprinting. At least at the sherriff's dept., you now bring a single money order for $130.25 instead of two seperate money orders.

update 1/4/12 - Updated the cost of the New Hartford, NY Gander Mountain safety class to $40
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-04-2012 at 11:41 PM.

from RochPersDef

Onondaga County

The application package will cost $10.00 - cash, VISA or Master Card.

Once the applicant gets the package, somewhere along the line he'll have to
    take a 3 hour basic safety course (preferably From Tim Connor) and put the certificate
    He gives them in the package when they submit everything to the Sheriff's Dept.

Regarding the application itself:
    1) Must use black ink or type
    2) Do NOT sign or DATE anything until the applicant goes back for
    fingerprinting and photo and does this in the presence of the licensing clerk when submitting the application.
    3) They'll need to get four (4) character references to sign off on the form provide, each has to be 21 years old or older, a resident of Onondaga County and CANNOT be related to the applicant in any way at all (blood or marriage).

The applicant also has to fill in an additional form (included) listing the name, address and phone number for each of the references.
    4) If the applicant wants to apply for an unrestricted (concealed carry) permit there's another form to fill in showing "just cause" - the responsibility falls on the applicant, not the County or State to show just cause. They use the phrase "a special need for self-protection distinguishable from that of the
    general community or of persons engaged in the same profession" - get creative but DON'T LIE!

After the package is filled in as far as they can go they attach the certificate and call (315) 435-2037 to make an appointment for finger printing and a photo - yes, the Sheriff's Department is booked through the second week in MAY at this time - appointments will be for a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday at either 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM or 11:00 AM.

When they go to their appointment they'll have to provide a photo ID and pay two (2) fees: $102.25 for fingerprinting and $46.00 for OCSO, to cover the County's costs for processing. Cash, VISA, MASTER CARD or money order made out to Onondaga County Sheriff's Office for the $46 fee. (update 12/17/12 from JMD: Fingerprinting is now done by L1 Enrollment Services. They have several locations in New York, the closest one for most Onondaga County residents being at 1723 Burnet Avenue, Syracuse, NY (near Midler and Erie Blvd). The cost is $102.25. Appointments can be made online or by phone. Details are in the application paperwork and on the permit office website. It looks like you can usually get an appointment on the next business day. Appointments should only take about 15 minutes.)

Once you've got everything ready, take it to the Sheriff's office downtown at 407 South State Street, Syracuse, New York. Walk in the front door. The permit station is immediately to your right. The permit clerk will review all of your paperwork to make sure it is complete and then have you sign and date all of the relevant forms (don't sign and date them ahead of time). The whole process should take about 10 minutes if everything's complete.

A few interesting sidelights for Onondaga County:
    1) If they choose the "Sportsman's" restriction (my recommendation)
    they'll be able to carry concealed or exposed while hunting, target shooting, camping, hiking or competitive shooting - NOT during transportation to and from. During transportation the handgun must be unloaded, affixed with a trigger or cable lock, put in a locked case in the trunk of their vehicle (or far away from them if the vehicle has no trunk) with the ammunition is a separate location.
    2) Any two (2) immediate family members OF THE SAME HOUSEHOLD may register their guns on each other's permit.
    3) If the gun is purchased new they must supply proof that a trigger lock or cable lock has been included in the purchase - this can be the receipt from the dealer.

Currently it's running up to three (3) months from date of application submittal to get the permit - usually notified by mail. Bear in mind that the Penal Law allows the Sheriff's Department up to six (6) months to do this!

update 3/10/12 from VERDAD:

The county pistol permit website is available online here:
    Pistol License Application & Fee's 2010

The application is downloadable from the menu on the left.

update 12/17/12 from JMD: The pistol permit office is now seriously backed up, so if you want to get a permit, the first step is to call the office and make an appointment (315-435-2037). Last I heard, current wait time is around 9 months to submit your paperwork. Call first. You'll have plenty of time to do everything else later.
    Last edited by Jeff; 12-17-2012 at 07:52 PM.

from jwilliams with updates from Degenret

Town of Colonie ONLY

This is for Town of Colonie Residents ONLY, Albany County is different. If your not sure call your town police and ask, I found out the hard way, about 3 months worth of work wasted.

1. Go to the Colonie Police Station and ask for a Pistol Permit Packet. (free)

2. Call the number on the packet and make an appointment. It says do it after, but with a 4-5 month waiting period before you can even get fingerprinted you have more then enough time to get things done before hand.

3. Fill out Colonie only information page and get all the items mentioned in the packet and link above. Please double check your packet info, this is one I picked up in 2009 so it should be current but who knows with Obama if changes will come about.

4. Appointment day is either a Tuesday or Thursday from 9-11 so plan on taking time off from work too! On your appointment day you will bring the info page and all the above items, if everything is ok you will get two NYS Pistol Applications, then get fingerprinted. Thinking ahead, I would recommend filling out all the information for your 4 references yourself very neatly besides the signature. Some people have horrible hand writing and remember this is the one and only application, no redo's, unless you feel like waiting a few months to get fingerprinted again!

5. Once your applications are filled out, you need to sign them with a notary present (any bank should have one for free) Once this is done bring them back to the officer you met with.

6. Character references (these people really need to like you a lot) each one needs to be notarized. Once they send them back in to the Colonie Police, says nine to twelve months for processing.

Edit 1/10/12 by Degenret:
    veterans are required to submit a DD214 long form (includes reason for discharge, must be honorable) or if Reservists, a copy of your completion of service letter, this must state that term of service was completed honorably).
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-10-2012 at 09:53 PM.

from itsadryheat, additions by Merv

Dutchess County

Meeting the Minimum Requirements:

Before obtaining a Pistol License Application you must:

Be a New York State and Dutchess County resident for at least six months. If you reside in another state, you cannot have a New York State pistol permit;

Be of good moral character;

Never have been convicted anywhere of a felony or a serious offense;

Never have suffered from any mental illness or been confined to any hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness;

Have a legally recognized reason for wanting to own or carry a handgun, and

Be 21 years of age.

How to Get a Pistol License Application:

You may pick up an application directly at the Sheriff's Office HQ (ask for the Business Office).

You can mail a letter of request to the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office, ATTN: Business Office, asking to be sent a pistol application. Please include a return address and a check or money order for $20.00 (payable to the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office).

Application Process:

Call the Pistol License Bureau at (845) 486-3883 to verify fees.
    There is a $20.00 application fee (when application is picked up). This fee covers the fingerprinting, photographs and the notary fee on the three application forms.

The application package comes with an instruction cover sheet. Please follow the directions carefully.

Applicants will receive four character reference forms with the application. These must be given to your references, who will then fill them out on their own. (References must Dutchess County residents and at least 21 years of age). These forms must then be sworn and signed before a New York State Notary Public of their choice. Note: character references must not be judges, town or city justices, police officers, correction officers, persons to whom the applicant is related or any persons in the same household.

All three of the actual pistol license application forms are filled out by the applicant and signed by the same character references (see above).

Applicants must indicate all arrests, convicted or not. If a charge/arrest has been sealed, dismissed, adjourned contemplating dismissal, the person has been found guilty or granted youthful offender status, it still must be noted as an arrest on your application (C.P.L. Section: 160.50(D)).

If arrested, you must bring with your completed application, a certificate of disposition from the court where the case was handled.

When all the forms of the application are completed, you must bring a postal money order in the amount of $105.25, made payable to the New York State Department of Criminal Justice services. We will not accept cash or personal checks.

Please call the day you wish to submit your application to verify that the office will be accepting applications.

Any false information given on the application will be cause enough for disqualification.

The application process usually takes three to six months before you will be issued a pistol license, assuming there are no problems.

All fees are non-refundable.

Helpful Law Sections
    Penal Law Article 400
    Defines licensing statutes, eligibility requirements and administrative procedures.
    Penal law Article 35
    Defines rules for the use of weapons for self-defense.
    Penal Law Article 265
    Defines weapons-related crimes and exemptions.
    Business Hours

Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., except holidays

http://www.co.dutchess.ny.us/CountyG...istPermApp.htm

Added 12/6/09 - Dutchess County is so backlogged that it takes approximately 6 months to get an appointment to file the application. I called in April and was given an appointment for October. i'm not sure how accurate their estimates are, but I was told to expect the permit in another 6 months. Incidentally, it takes approximately 1 hour to file the application. Most of this time is due to fingerprinting which requires 5 complete sets of fingerprints, all taken manually.

from Marlin336

Genesee County

http://www.co.genesee.ny.us/dpt/coun...olpermits.html

The application paperwork is picked up at the county office building #1 in the clerk's office. The paperwork itself is free.
    Genesee Co. charges about $105.25 for the filing fee plus:
    -$10.00 for the criminal background check
    -$10.00 for photos, which can be taken at the office, or any standard passport photo can be used.
    -$7.00 for the fingerprinting fee

Paperwork needs to be done in in duplicate, in black in; four references who are not related to you and you have known for 5 years or more must sign BOTH copies of the application.

Permit use: in the "what do you need a pistol permit for?" entry, YOU MUST WRITE TARGET or HUNTING! Genesee Co. explicitly states in the application that they only issue permits for these two reasons, and if you need it for employment or other reasons you must submit an affidavit stating your purpose.

For most people, this means that you will be issued a restricted permit! If you have a reason that is deemed "legitimate" by the judge, you can submit in writing after having your permit for a while (my sources say 6 mos to a year minimum and you better have a really good reason).

The process can take from 6-8 months, supposedly.

Update 7/2/10 from Marlin336:

GC has gone to live scan for finger prints, and the fees have changed, they have gone up by I am unsure by how much. I also know that people have begun getting permits issues in about 3-4 months, still restricted.

Update 12/2/11 from kuntryquesttsi

Genessee county eletronic finger prints are now $106.

from Jose Wales

Herkimer County

Go to Permit Office at the old court house on main st. in Herkimer and get app.

Have your 3 references fill out their forms, get your pics taken and have your finger prints taken at the office.

You have to take a safety course which there are plenty of around here.

Drop off all forms.

Officer from the Sheriffs dept ( one man does sall of them to keep consistant) will visit you and your references just to check that all is on the up and up.
    This is very informal and goes well. I have been a reference many tiimes and never a hassle.

3 months later (or less) you have your permit. Most these days are stamped because of the judge that is on office now and I don't agree with that, but at least you have your permit.

The best part, the woman that works at the pistol permit office ( Tamika ) is great. Friendly, helpful, and never any hassles. She took over for Lorain who was also great.

The permit office can be reached at 315-867-1167

Update 3/13/11 from Dozer:
    Officially, it's a six month process. Actually, it took me about two months. I applied after Christmas and received my letter in mid-Feb. From what I can tell, all Herk permits are restricted only, though one could apply for unrestricted if able to show just cause.

from waldershrek

Cortland County

Cortland County issues "No Restrictions" permits freely if that is what you apply for (and obviously have a good background).

- Pick up application at the pistol clerks office on the 2nd floor of the County Courthouse 46 Greenbush St, Cortland. It costs $10 and you can have your pictures taken there as well for an additional $10.

- Fill out the applications. Be sure not to sign the affidavit unless it's in front of a notary. Also make sure you check which type of license you are applying for.

- 4 character references are needed and must sign the form. They must be Cortland County residents and cannot be gunsmiths, gun dealers or relatives.

- Get fingerprints done on the provided cards either at the Cortland County Jail (by appt only on Saturdays) or if the applicant lives in the City of Cortland they can be done at the Cortland Police Department 25 Court St, Cortland.

- Turn in application to the pistol clerk with a money order made out to the County Clerk for $105.25

- A State Police Investigator will contact you to schedule a meeting where they will ask you questions about your background and such. They will also contact your references via telephone with questions about your background.

- Decision will be made by the 6 month mark. Applications not approved will be given specific reasons for the denial

- Once approved, you may pick up your permit. Within one year you must complete an NRA approved basic pistol course and return proof of such to the Pistol Clerk. This does not apply to Police Officers and people honorably discharged from the United States Armed Services.

From Enginetech88

Niagara County

1) Complete a handgun safety course. Pistol permit office has a list of contacts for the class. (averge of $35)

2) Go to Permit office (Courthouse, 175 Hawley St. Lockport 14094) and pick up application packet.

3) Need 4 character references. Must reside in Niagara County.If you live in one of the citys then 2 references must also live in your city. Must have known for 4+ years. Not relatives or related to eachother. They need to sign all 3 applications. These do not need to be notorized. All references will have a background check performed and they will be interviewed.

4) If arrested, mugt provide court disposition for each arrest. Also have to write an incident letter about each arrest.

5) Fill out all 3 identical applications and accompanying sheets. You will need address of your employer. Also the reason that a permit is required. Make sure you check the box for CARRY CONCEALED! Permit office will notorize your signature when you turn in the application.

6) Must schedule a date to do your fingerprints and photos with the permit office. (716) 439-7184

7) When you turn in your application and get your fingerprints and photos taken you will need the following...
    - All 3 applications (in packet)
    - Acknowledgement form (in packet)
    - PP 11/97 form (in packet)
    - Original Handgun safety course certificate
    - NYS drivers license
    - A money order in the amount of 105.25 to NYS Div. Of Criminal Justice Services
    - $10 application fee (cash or check)
    - $40 for fingerprints
    - $16 for photos

8.) Cool Within a few weeks your references will receive a survey. They need to return the survey within 10 days of receiving it. Remind them of this!

9) Investagating officer will come out to interview you at your home, those living in your home, your references and your nearby neighbors. Also will want to see where you plan to keep your pistols and where you keep your guns currently.

10) You will receive the almighy letter in the mail. Normally within 6 months to let you know that they accepted you or didnt and with what restrictions if any.

Brings your total cost to around $206.25. In the packet that they give there is a sheet with pretty good instructions for everything. Similiar to what I have typed above.

from graveless_one

Chautauqua County

http://www.sheriff.us/courts/pistolpermit.htm

take required handgund safety course
    pick up aplication($5)
    fill out application BLACK INK ONLY!
    get 4 references and have them mail the referal/reference sheets in(application includes addressed envolopes) put stamps on for them!
    call for an appointment to turn in the application and get fingerprinted.(a bout a month wait so do this when you get your application)
    turn in aplication
    wait for 2-5 months currently. prices listed on site are slightly off, new prices are on application.

Updated 3/23/10 from harleyhunter

Rockland County

http://www.rocklandcountyclerk.com/pistol_license.html

How do I apply for a pistol license?
    Appear at the Rockland County Clerk’s Office, 1 South Main Street, Suite 100, New City, New York 10956 and pay a $150.00 application fee (payable by cash or money order only, payable to Rockland County Clerk). You will be assigned a date for your Firearms Safety Course and issued a receipt along with a “Pistol License Acknowledgement Form”.

• Take the receipt to the Sheriff’s Department where you will get fingerprinted, a digital signature and photographed. Before appearing at the Sheriff’s Department call them at (845) 638-5440 to make an appointment. Once fingerprinted, you will be given the application in triplicate to be completed and submitted to the Rockland County Clerk.

• BEFORE COMPLETING, read entire application and note the statements at the bottom regarding OMMISSION OF FACTS OR FALSE STATEMENTS, as well as the conditions affecting any license that may be issued to applicant. The application must be completed in triplicate and typed or printed in black ink. Place one letter in each box and begin with your last name. State height in inches only. Sign your signature on each form and have each signature notarized.

Please note that the following items must be submitted with your application:

• Completed “Pistol License Acknowledgement Form”
      • Notarized letter(s) from all adults with whom you reside, stating that they do not object to your possession of a pistol license
      • Self-addressed stamped #10 envelope

• What are the requirements?
      You must reside in New York State, and apply in the county in which you reside. You must be 21 years of age to apply for a license and to purchase a pistol on your own.
    • How long does it take to process?
      Approximately four months.
    • Must I take a safety course?
      All applicants are required to take a Firearms Safety Course prior to the issuance of their license. The course given by the Rockland County Sheriff’s Department is the preferred and accepted class for pistol license applicants.
    • For what purposes can I obtain a pistol license?
      Target shooting, hunting, fishing, hiking and camping. You must state the specific reason you are applying on your application.
    • What if I've been arrested or convicted of a crime before?
      You must submit a certified copy of disposition.
    • Must the character references on my application reside in Rockland County?
      Yes, they must be Rockland County residents, and must have known you for at least 2 years. Relatives cannot be used as references. In the case of married couples, only a husband or wife can be used, not both.
    • What if I'm a Police Officer?
      If you are an active or retired police officer, attach a letter or “Certificate of Service” from your police department to your application. The letter must be on ORIGINAL LETTERHEAD and include duration of employment, and statements about whether you are in good standing, if there are any department charges against you, and whether any weapons have ever been removed from your possession
    • What if I already possess a handgun?List it on the backside of your application and submit proof of ownership..
    • For how long is the pistol license valid?
      There is no expiration date on NYS pistol licenses.
    • Must I be a citizen of the United States to get a pistol license?
      No, but if you are not a US citizen, you must submit a copy of your green card.
    • Who should I call if I have further questions?
      Call the Pistol License Office in the Rockland County Clerk’s Office at (845) 638-5320. The office is located at 1 South Main Street, Suite 100, New City, New York 10956, and is open Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

from crwbr

Westchester County

1. Obtain permit application,
    a. In person at: Westchester County Clerk – 111 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Room 340-A, White Plains, NY 10601. (914) 995-3088, CC-PistolPermits@westchestergov.com
    b. By mail: Submit a written request with a check or money order for 11.50 (10.00 application fee (SAVE RECEIPT!!), plus 1.50 postage and handling) made payable to “Westchester County Clerk”. Mail request to: Westchester County Clerk, Licensing Division, Room 340, 110 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. White Plains, NY 10601
    • Application consists of:
    a. County Application form
    b. 4 Character references (each reference must be a Westchester County resident and cannot by related by blood or marriage)
    c. 3 NYS license applications
    • Supporting documents needed include:
    a. Proof of Westchester County residence (utility bill, etc)
    o Proof of US citizenship, or legal status (passport, birth certificate, resident alien card etc)
    o Gun information
    o Training certificate
    o “Good Guy” letter if retired law enforcement
    2. Call to schedule an appointment to submit your application. According to the instructions provided by the County, this should be the last step, but I recommended doing this ASAP. It was 6 months between my calling to schedule and my actual appointment date
    3. Take NRA safety Course
    4. Buy Gun…. No, I’m not crazy…. Westchester County requires you to purchase a gun before you get your permit and have a licensed FFL dealer hold your gun until you get a permit. Part of your permit application is the purchase receipt from your FFL.
    5. Complete application (ALL FORMS MUST BE PRINTED IN BLACK INK!!)
    6. Purchase 4 2”X2” photos (must be dated within 30 days of submitting application)
    7. Purchase money order for 105.25 made out to “New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services”
    8. Review application to ensure everything is complete
    a. County application form
    b. 3 fingerprint application forms
    c. 4 pictures
    d. Application receipt
    e. 4 character references
    f. Money Order
    g. Proof of County residency
    h. Proof of US citizenship or legal status
    i. Training certificate or DD214 if former military (less than 10 years from separation date)
    j. “Good Guy” letter if retired LE
    k. Gun information
    9. Wait up to 6 loooooooooooooooong months.

From Justin (3/19/12)

Livingston County

1.Pick up app at Livingston County Clerks Office. ($10)
    2. Fill out application- You will need 4 References (3 from Livingston, 1 From anywhere else)
    3. In the packet they give L1's website info. Go online schedule a time to get your prints done. L1 will give you a receipt to hand in with your app. (Cost was $105)
    4. Get application notarized
    5. Hand In app at the sheriffs office, They will take your picture, and more prints (No charge there)
    6. After handing the permit in your references will receive a letter within 1-2 bussiness days. They fill it out (3-4 questions) send it back.
    7. After they receive all your references back, and your back ground check is complete (about two weeks) A deputy will call you and want to do a sit down interview at your place. (Mine lasted a minute, My friends over the phone) Also while he is there he will need 3 more references (Name, Address, And phone number) They do not need to be from Livingston county but have to be "Close by". (My deputy called the three references while he was here, My friends were called within five minutes of talking to him)
    8. Give it a couple days then start waiting impatiently every day for the mail to come to see if your permit arrives!!!

(I received mine in just over a month as the deputy dragged his feet turning in my paper work to the judge, My friends was a couple days shy of a month)
    Last edited by Jeff; 03-19-2012 at 10:05 PM.

From twogunwillywith updates from ADK 7.62

Washington county:

1. pick up application 399 Broadway, Fort Edward (jail) $15. cash or money order
    2. Have 4 references not related to you, blood or marriage. These have to be notarized on the application and they will have to call for an over the phone interview, see note below.
    3. Have 3 passport sized photos 1" 1/2" by 1" 1/2" taken within 30 days
    4. Make appt. for fingerprints (live scan only)
    5. return all material within 30 days or start over. $5. cash or check. $110. money order (for prints)
    6. make appointment for safety class (4 hrs.) $20 cash

All references must know you for at least a year, they will have to have reference notarized and call the Sheriffs dept. to attest to your good character. Must call within 30 days of turning in app. Very friendly staff will help you.

Wait is about 6 mos. but with live scan, permits should be alot faster. $3 for each amendment, on or off permit. Judge must approve of your purchase.

Must be a county resident for at least 1 year to apply.
    Last edited by Jeff; 03-22-2012 at 04:44 PM.

from Qed

Albany County

Pistol Permits

1. When filling out the applications be sure to answer all questions honestly. Any deliberate omission or false entry may warrant rejection of entire application.

2. Application must be made in DUPLICATE. Fill out the application neatly starting with your last name and working down. You may type or print in BLACK INK ONLY. Completed applications must be signed and sworn to in front of a certified notary. The title of officer is “Notary Public”. Do not fill out any portion of the back or have another agency take fingerprint impressions.

3. Obtain (4) reputable character references that have known you at least one year, all must be residents of the Capital District or surrounding area. BOTH copies of the application must be personally signed by the references in the section indicating signature. The area indicating last, first, middle initial of the references must be clearly typed or printed. Please include zip codes.

4. Character reference forms are included in the packet and must be issued and completed by each reference. Upon completion they must sign and swear to it in front of a certified Notary. The applicant will collect these (4) forms in a sealed envelope and present them with the entire application at the time of processing.

5. Have three current passport type photos taken, head and shoulder view. They should be approximately 1 ˝ inches square. Do not attach them to the application.

6. Procure a certified copy of your Drivers Abstract of Operating Record from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, Empire Plaza, Albany New York. It is suggested you visit the DMV website for further information on obtaining the abstract.

7. One half of a two part certificate indicating that you have attended the basic pistol safety course must accompany your application. A list of scheduled dates for this four hour course, conducted by a certified NRA instructor in Albany County,
    will be made available to you with your application.

8. A $94.25 U.S. POSTAL SERVICE MONEY ORDER will be needed at the time of processing. This is the fee for DCJS / FBI fingerprint processing and should be made out to the Albany County Sheriff’s Office.

9. When applications, character reference forms, money order, pistol safety certificate, drivers abstract, and three photos are complete, call (518‐ 487‐5413) to set up an appointment to be processed. FINGERPRINTING AND PROCESSING WILL
    BE DONE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY ‐ NO EXCEPTIONS.

Update 3/26/13 from voiceonly

Cohoes makes you got thru L-1 to get fingerprinted, they don't have electronic fingerprinting in Cohoes.

Right from the Cohoes website: Fingerprinting is done through L-1, . See the instructions provided.

The Instructions : http://www.cohoes.com/Documents/poli...s/PP-info2.pdf Tell you go thru L-1 with specific info to Cohoes.

They also make you fill out separate paperwork specific to Cohoes only.
    Last edited by Jeff; 03-26-2013 at 05:33 PM.

from Spike

Ontario County

I picked up the paperwork from the Ontario county clerk located in Canandaigua, NY.

The forms cost $3.00

1. You need to fill out the application in duplicate and they both need to be notarized.

2. There is an affidavit form that needs to be signed and notarized. The Ontario county clerk has notaries on premises.

3. You need 4 Character references that need to be residents of Ontario County. You also need to have known them a minimum of 5 years. They need to complete a character reference form and sign both applications.

4. Fingerprints are now done by an independent firm and they are done electronically. This was changed January 1st of 2010. The closest one to me was in Canandaigua, NY and their hours are from 11:00AM to 3:00PM Fridays only.

You have to setup the appointment online and they require 2 forms of ID. The prints cost $106.00

5. You need 4 photo's, they can be no larger than 2" x 2" square. I had passport photos taken at a Walgreen's for $12.00.

6. All paperwork must be returned to the Ontario county clerk. You can only use black ink on all forms and none of them can be folded or bent in anyway.

Update 5/26/11 from Spike:
    On May 10th 2011 I recieved a letter from the judge stating that he would like to meet with me on July 25th to discuss my background check on my application. After that time I should be able to update you on my status. It's been a long haul and I am not pleased with this meeting.

Update 7/25/11 from Spike:
    I went to see the Judge today at 2:00 at the Ontario county court house. After 3 minutes of discussing an old arrest from 1988, he approved my application.

I now have to wait for the county clerk to mail it to me. Been a long haul!

Update 8/1/11 from Spike:
    Final update:

It has been a week today since the judge approved my permit but I still hadn't heard anything from the county clerk. I called them today and the woman had it right in front of her.

I had to come into the clerks office, have a picture taken, have my thumb print taken and sign the permit. It cost $20.00 for this procedure.

I was then issued my full carry permit and was out the door in 5 minutes.

I am off to buy a gun!

from FTWNY

Erie County

http://www.erie.gov/depts/government...s_pistol.phtml

The Erie County Clerk's Office processes Pistol Permits for Erie County residents under terms of appropriate New York State laws. Following the completion of an application and criminal background checks, final approval or denial of a permit is the decision of an Erie County Court Judge or New York State Supreme Court Justice.

Hours of Service: 9 AM - 4:45

The following is the process for applying for a pistol permit:

Step 1 In order to apply for a pistol permit in Erie County, you must be 21 years of age and be a resident of Erie County. You are not required to buy or own a gun at the time of application. Applicants must have completed a course for the safe handling and storage of firearms from a certified instructor, and proof of such training must be submitted with the application.

Step 2 You may pick up the application packet at the Erie County Pistol Permit Department, or you can receive one by mail by sending a self-addressed, stamped, business-size envelope to:
    • Erie County Clerk's Office
      Pistol Permit Department
      92 Franklin Street
      Buffalo, NY 14202

Note: Application forms to be submitted for filing must be obtained at the Pistol Permit Department. FOR APPLICATION PLANNING PURPOSES ONLY, a Draft/Work Copy Only can be downloaded by clicking here. This draft copy is not considered an official application form.

Step 3 Please read and follow the instructions on the application carefully to avoid any unnecessary delays in the process. Applicants must come to our office in person when submitting the completed application. The processing time to receive a permit is approximately 6-8 months.

Step 4 Part of the application process includes various background checks by New York State and the FBI, and an interview by the applicant's local police. Once all necessary background checks are completed, the application is then submitted for consideration by one of the Licensing Judges.

Step 5 Once a permit is approved by a Licensing Judge, the applicant must purchase a handgun and/or co-register one with another permit holder. The applicant must appear in person for the initial sign-up for the approved permit.

Any questions you may have can be directed to the Pistol Permit Department at 716-858-6600.
    AllentownBlogger likes this.

From jeepyj

Yates County

sometime in the past: picked up the paperwork from the county sheriffs office.

12/28/10: Filled in personal info on the 3 applications down to the character references.

12/29/10: Called L1 enrollment for fingerprint appt.

12/30/10: 4:30 went to appt and paid $105.75 for electronic fingerprinting. Received a receipt...no prints
    12/30/10: 5:30 went to CVS and paid $20 for my 4 photos (these photos have to be less than 30 days old when you turn in your application)

01/01/11: Visited five character references and helped them fill out their forms. I need four notarized character reference forms, but figured I'd start with five in case somebody flakes. (these character reference forms must all be notarized within the 30 days prior to turning in your application) If somebody flakes, everybody has to do it again. More rules about who can NOT be a reference: "No public officer, or relative of applicant, or relative of any other reference, or member of applicants household, or two persons from the same household." "No reference shall be an employee, business associate or employer of the applicant."

01/3,4,5&7/11: Received notarized character reference forms from references. (one flaked) They also have to sign the three applications when you pick up the forms.

01/08/11: Filled out everything below where the references signed the applications. (arrest records and crap they don't want the references to see)

01/10/11: 3:30 dropped off applications, forms, pictures and fingerprint receipt. Signed some **** and swore it was the truth.
    01/10/11: 4:30 Brought a six-pack to the guy who flaked and told him not to bother getting it notarized as it was already turned in.

2/9/11: Edit #1...I saw one of my references last night. He said the Sheriffs office called him Monday night. 2/7/11. 4-1/2 weeks so far.

3/3/11 Edit #2... I called the sheriff about a personal matter, and he volunteered the information that he signed off on my pistol permit this morning. He thought that was the reason I was calling. It wasn't.

3/8/11 Edit #3...I received the letter from the Sheriff today. Says he signed off and I should be hearing from the clerks office soon.

3/25/11 Edit #4...I got the call that my permit was ready to pick up. I went down and paid my $10 to the clerk and she handed it over...Unrestricted. 12 weeks total

From cgrutt

Orange County

Pistol process from Orange cty clerk's website:

Pistol Permits - Orange County, New York

County Clerk
    Pistol Permits
    (845) 291-3060
    APPLICATIONS: available at the County Clerk’s Office for a fee of $10.00. This
    fee is applied to the cost of pistol permit at the time of filing and the
    payment receipt must accompany the application to the Sheriff’s department.
    REQUIREMENTS: applicant must be 21 years of age, a resident of New York State;
    or if you are a business owner, your principal place of business must be in New
    York State to apply for a permit. In either case, you apply to the county in
    which you live or have your principal place of business.
    FEE: a money order for $94.25 made payable to the Orange County Commissioner of
    Finance. (Note: Applications obtained prior to February 2008 will need to be
    updated. Please bring in your receipt to obtain updated application. Amendments
    are $5.00 per transaction.
    HANDGUN SAFETY COURSE: must be completed, a list of New York State instructors
    is available at the County Clerk’s Office.
    PURPOSE: application requires the use: sporting, business or full carry.
    FINGER PRINTING: for your pistol permit takes place at the Orange County
    Sheriff’s Office (located at 110 Wells Farm Road, Goshen NY) on Monday and
    Friday 10:30am to 12 noon; Wednesday 3:30pm to 5:00pm. Wednesdays 5:00pm to
    7:00pm (by appointment only) and the first and third Saturday from 8am to 12
    noon. Tele # (845)- 291-7932.
    PROCESSING TIME: the application for a pistol permit takes approximately two (2)
    to three (3) months.
    EXPIRATION: No expiration date on NYS pistol permits in Orange County.
    PLASTICARD: (laminated I.D. license card) can be obtained by processing an
    amendment form for a duplicate permit (fee of $5.00)
    AMENDMENTS: Any and all changes to your pistol permit must be done through
    County Clerk's Office. Please print the amendment form and follow the
    instructions (see below). Please submit the Amendment Application in duplicate.

From ADK_40GLKr

Clinton County

This all occurred a year ago and more, but I'll give you what I can:

1. Get applications (fee- $10.00 ??)
    2. Complete application in duplicate with signatures, addresses & phone #'s of 3 references.
    3. Turn in application at County Clerk's office with applic fee ( $90.00 or so ???) (Get Photos at County office)
    4. Call and make appointment for (NYS Police?) fingerprinting. (Mine was done electronically at Holiday Inn in Plattsburgh) (Fee and Photos)
    5. State Police will call you for an interview at barracks on Rt 22 South near Plattsburgh airport.
    6. NYSP will interview your references and spouse.
    7. Await notice from Clinton County that Judge has approved your application.
    8. Pick up license, pay fee, get new photos, and get a "Coupon" for dealer ($ 5 fee).
    9. Pick up gun from dealer, giving them the coupon and getting Dealer name,make, model, caliber, serial # info.
    10. On return of the gun info to Co Clerk, they will issue you a "Pistol License" with your gun info, to accompany your "License to Carry", and will sell you a new coupon ($5) for next pistol if you want one.
    11. County Clerk will verify info you gave them, as there was a discrepancy in my serial #, and I had to give them corrected info before they'd send me the revised "Pistol License"

Fee amounts may be in error, but these are all the steps, as I recall them.

If you don't request the "License" for self-defense purposes your "conditions" (or restrictions) will appear on your license as follows:

THIS LICENSE IS ISSUED WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS
    1. It is revocable at any time.
    2. If issued outside New York City, not valid to carry a weapon New York City unless approved by the police commissioner of that city
    3. Valid only for hunting, fishing, trapping or target shootiing and transporting weapon for such use.

Line 3 was in Red. 1 & 2 are pretty much standard on all, as I understand.

(I think I submitted the application in February or March, and the license was issued on 5/20, so it was basically a 90 day process - YMMV)

From jvargeson079

Steuben County

I just went through the pain getting my unrestricted carry permit for Steuben county.

1 Drive to Bath for the paperwork. Had to go to the county court house in Bath. 10.00 fee for the paperwork.

2. Filled out the paperwork with notarized references (4 needed), copy of my drivers permit, hunting safety course. Also, a self addressed stamped envelope.

3 Set up an appointment with a company called L1 services, to set up an appointment for electronic fingerprinting. fee is $105.75

4. Take the paperwork, and along with your receipt from L1, back to Bath county court house and there is another 10.00 fee.

5. Get a call from a sheriff department to schedule a sit down with an officer to go over a brief interview.

6. Wait 4 to 6 months for the state and feds to do their background check. Your letter will show up in the self addressed envelope you turned in when dropping off your paperwork.

7. If you are granted your permit, the letter will tell you to come pick up the permit in Bath.

Lot of hoops to jump through.....but worth it in the long run. Also, there is a 5.00 fee attached to each pistol you put on your permit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM
  2. 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
  3. 11-09-2012, 10:17 AM
  4. 08-12-2012, 11:31 AM
  5. 12-29-2011, 04:50 AM
  6. 11-03-2011, 05:30 PM
  7. 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
  8. 10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
  9. 08-24-2011, 03:24 AM