Close

Private

Default Pistol permit amendment process Albany County

I recently put a deposit down on a pistol and filed my amendment application with the Albany County Clerks Office. I was hoping to gauge other peoples experiences and see how long it usually takes for the amendment to be approved. I live in Ltham so i am not within the city limits of Albany if that matters.

Thanks

A friend of mine also in Albany county just got one approved that took 3 days over 4 months. After 2 months he called a few times and they said "when it's done it's done". Other times may only take 2 months I hear.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Did you see Messmer knocking on your neighbors doors after he left your place?
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Private

Wow 4 months??! You have to be kidding me... I can't believe they can get away with that. You'd think the process would be simple after getting the initial permit.

Haha yea I did see him question people and a couple of my neighbors asked me about it later. The process in Albany County is redic

Thanks for the response

I just left the judges office, approved. He said the permit will arrive soon, then I will immediately add the gun I have picked out and see how long it takes. Judge Michael Lynch, nice guy. He asked what range I would be shooting at, I wonder if they add the name of the club to the restricted permit..

Private

Good call on immediately adding the gun after the permit is approved. Every time the ball has been in my court I have tried to shift things back to them as soon as possible. They take so long to do everything. I submitted my amendment form to add a gun the day after I received the permit.

If you're in Albany County the restriction should just be a stamp on the bottom of the permit that says "Restricted to Hunting and Target Shooting". There shouldn't be any mention of ranges cause you're allowed to use any range NYS.

What did you have to go in front of the judge for?
    Last edited by cm18lajo; 02-09-2012 at 12:04 PM.

I guess he just wants to meet us in person. He did ask how I intend to store the gun, I said I am buying a safe as soon as the permit clears. He glanced at my file just to note that background check was good, I told no lies to the police who investigated, and he saw no problems or cause for concern. He does this in front of a stenographer, so maybe they just want it on the record somewhere. Oh, he also asked how I manged to not update my driver license picture since it was first issued 20 years ago, and I told him I find it amusing to see my 19 yr old self when ever I look at it. He also found it amusing.

Private

Degenret- How long was it between Colonie completing your investigation and your appointment today? Colonie has finished with me and I am waiting for a letter for my appointment with a Judge. Just wondering how long I have to wait.

Private

When My permit application was completed by Colonie Police and forwarded to the Albany County Clerks Office it took almost 3 months before I received a letter from the Judge. Officer Mezmer forwarded the application to the Clerks Office on November 2, 2011 and I received the letter on January 30, 2012 from the Judge saying it had been approved and I could pick it up. I didn't have to go in for an interview.

Good luck!

They had all the paperwork in during September I believe, and it was the first week of November that they called my ex and my boss. I got the letter at the end of December. So about 6-7 weeks from when they finish until they make your appointment, which was another 6 weeks. That time could be shorter or longer depending on how many others are doing it.

Private

Thanks for the response. I wonder if I put a deposit down and turned that paperwork into the clerk before the judges decision, if the admendment would be on the permit when I receive it. I am going to call the clerks office, let you know how it turns out.

I just got the letter telling me it's approved, as he said in the meeting last week. But it does not say where to pick up the permit. It reads like a directive to someone to grant my permit, but doesn't say to who.

JVG

When did you have your appointment with the Albany County judge. I met with Judge O'Connor on the January 23rd. Still awaiting the decision
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

Feb 9th with Judge Lynch. He told each of us the decision right then, I thought every judge did.

JVG

Quote Originally Posted by Degenret View Post
    Feb 9th with Judge Lynch. He told each of us the decision right then, I thought every judge did.
    This is the first time ive heard in Albany that a judge gave you the outcome the same day as the interview.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

So the letter I refernced above is a directive to the clerk to type up my permit, I just called them and they said I should hear from them "soon" to get my permit. I paid off my P95 last night, will be fun to get it to a range sometime.