Close

Private

Default Getting pistol license in Rockland County and i have some questions ?

hey everyone i got some questions about the process for rockland county, more specifically the new city area.
    Is it hard to obtain a sportmens license ? Are they strict ? when i spoke to the detective he said they never deny anything unless you dont provide info if you have been arrested before and as long as you have no felonies or anything violent on your record you should be fine. How long does the process take ? I just handed in the application and my dispositions, and im waiting to take the class on june 28th.
    Does it matter who you have as a reference matter ? for example i had a rcj corrections officer of something like 40 years and he is well known and respected in the county and in the whole sheriffs dep. Do you think this will help at all ?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post
    Bryan

The questions that the references are asked are just cut and dry. I don't see someone with special credentials having an affect. The regular permits are almost automatic as long as your record or background is clean. If it's blemished a little and happened a long time ago, as long as you list it, they seem to accommodate you. They are looking for honesty. The permit process in Rockland takes about 70 days to 5 months. If your class is June 28th, you can figure on sometime in August is my guess. That wouldn't be horrible. July is a vacation month for staff and judges.
    Best of luck and welcome to NYF.

Hi,

Don't sweat it... Like everyone says as long as there is no violence, and your are completely honest. Also if you take any drugs like Xanex, or prozac etc, you must put that down, they will find it. My friend took them at one time, so didn't list it, and they called him on it.

No matter how small a matter tell them.

I got mine Recently... And it took 3 1/2 months.... from the day I handed in the paper work Exactly. All though the Judge signed off on the permit in 6 WEEKS!!! What it was doing sitting around in the pistol clerks office for an additonal 2 months I'll never know.

As far as the references one of mine was NYPD, since a sherrif does the investigation, and sends out the letters to your references he sees who they are... It probably doesn't mean anything, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt either...

Welcome, and good luck! jsut spend the time picking out the firearm you want!

Regards.

Royd

Private

Like they said above - LIST EVERYTHING

Private

FYI - I called a few weeks ago, and was told permits are now a solid 6 month wait (whereas when I signed up was told 4 months). I handed mine in in Feb and was hoping for a permit this month. But she told me all Feb permits were still in mental health review.

The time it takes depends on the issuing judge and is usually around 6 months. This thread attempts to reconstruct the logic of assigning your case to a judge based on last digit of SSN, as well as differences in timing between judges.

If you fill out the application correctly, pass NICS, and your references are not afraid of you having a pistol, you will get your permit.

Private

Absolutely. I was just trying to relay my disappointment that the estimated time frame from the pistol clerks office slipped from 4 months in February when I applied to 6 months when I called for a status update (that was 6 months for applicants who applied in February). Royd was lucky, he got his in in January and it only took 3.5 months.

Private

Do judges or the clerks sign off on new pistol purchases in Rockland? What is a typical wait time to add a new pistol to a permit?

Judges sign off on new pistol purchases. Wait time can be between 2 weeks and 2 months.

My Friend and I just got amendments from 2 different judges, and they both took 2 days...

Royd