Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: saratoga county pistol permit

  1. #1
    Private
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    saratoga
    Posts
    3

    Angry saratoga county pistol permit

    so i have been looking into pistol permit for saratoga county and am seeing different options and steps to getting this permit. it seems painful. but does anybody know the step to step process of getting this permit? like where to get it if i can get it offline and why this safety course is such a pian to get into. if anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south glens falls, saratoga county
    Posts
    364

    Default

    You pick up the application from the Saratoga County Sheriff Office @ 6010 County Farm Road Ballston Spa, NY 12020

    From there you will have to make an appointment to turn it back in. At this appointment you pay all the fees, and have photos and finger prints done.

    You can turn in the app before you take the safety course or you can wait until the course is complete. But the instruction sheet says, the background investigation will not start until the safety course is complete.

    The course takes so long to get into because the previous Judge would only except this particular course. The New Judge just hasn't changed anything. At least thats my best guess. Judge Kupferman only took the bench 1 Jan this year.

    This is where the long @ss wait starts. I turned in my app 3 Jan, and the Judge waived the safety course (based on my military background) on 24 Feb. I'm still waiting for my permit.
    digitalhippie likes this.

  3. #3
    Private
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I was able to get into the class quick. Call and schedule your class now, then submit your application. Once the app is in call back the class and tell them you submitted your app. They will call you first when there are cancellations due the fact you already have your paperwork in. A friend of mine submitted on Dec. 19 and received his permit last Thursday (may 10th). I submitted my paperwork on Dec 27, which was one week after. I should have my permit this Thursday. I took my class in January due to a cancellation. Being that I already had the ball rolling with the paperwork I was bumped from May to Jan with the class. Hope this info helps. Total process for me would be 4 mo. and 3 weeks, if thurdays my lucky day!

  4. #4
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    I've been putting off getting a pistol permit because I hear the horror stories of waiting and waiting and so on. I also know that the longer I wait the longer it will take ... it sucks being someone who thinks that patience is for people who don't want to get anything done!! Hahaha I'll go get the app this week and I'll take this ride with ya sigsauer250.

    (Hey ... does it help if I have all judges and LE officers sign the application??)
    RPD46

  5. #5
    Private
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Is call and ask about using LE/judges as references, not sure on that one. The 4 references need to be non family and must live in Saratoga county. They also have to have known you for at least a year.
    digitalhippie likes this.

  6. #6
    Private
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    saratoga
    Posts
    3

    Default

    what branch were you in? and thanks for the info.

  7. #7
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south glens falls, saratoga county
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigsauer250 View Post
    what branch were you in? and thanks for the info.
    I think you were asking me, I'm in the Air Force

  8. #8
    Colonel guygus3516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glens Falls
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryknow86 View Post
    Is call and ask about using LE/judges as references, not sure on that one. The 4 references need to be non family and must live in Saratoga county. They also have to have known you for at least a year.


    Are you sure they have to live in Saratoga County? Or can neighboring County residents sign? I think in Warren County you can live in a contiguous county? (is contiguous a word)?

  9. #9
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryknow86 View Post
    Is call and ask about using LE/judges as references, not sure on that one. The 4 references need to be non family and must live in Saratoga county. They also have to have known you for at least a year.
    They are all non family, live in Saratoga County and all have known me all my life or over 20years. Hmmmm ... maybe not a good idea?
    RPD46

  10. #10
    Sergeant ADKeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Yes, in Saratoga county the references must be from IN county. This is just another difference in the pistol permit process from county to county.
    digitalhippie likes this.

  11. #11
    Colonel Degenret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Capital District
    Posts
    3,156

    Default

    This info should go in the http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/pis...on-county.html sticky. Kind of crazy that Saratoga is missing from that list after all this time. What is the number/who is called to schedule the safety class? And do you bring the reference letters to the Sheriff or are they mailed in so you don't see what people wrote? I am getting this info for my brother in law.
    Last edited by Degenret; 05-16-2012 at 02:04 AM.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

  12. #12
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south glens falls, saratoga county
    Posts
    364

    Default

    When I turned in my app, I listed the references on the app. While the clerk was processing the paper work, she gave me 4 envelpes to fill out with my references address. She told me they would go out in the next days mail. I was informed by all 4 of my references that they received the questionaire with in a week. I turned in on a tuesday, a 3 told me they got it on friday while the other told me monday.

    Sorry I can't help with the number, I dont have the flyer that I was given. But the flyer comes in the app packet and I've been told it is on the counter at Zacks sports in round lake.

  13. #13
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south glens falls, saratoga county
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Sorry, I miss read your question about the references. I asked my references to mail the questionaire in with a signature required. That way, I had proof that it was recieved. I also paid for it. I also asked that they mail it in themselfs as oppose to me doing it so that they were post marked different. That way, it was harder to argue that I had any influence on what they wrote.

    But that was all just me.. After being in the military for 15 years, I tend not to trust the Gov't.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Moreau NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    I got my permit this February.

    Last February I got my paperwork and called to schedule the class. Took me 9 months to get into the class and took it the 1st week of November. In the mean time I had all my paperwork done and turned it ready to go. From the time I took the class it was another 3 months for my permit to come in the mail.

    Now that I got my permit I wish we could work on the 3 week amendment process. It takes like 5 weeks to buy a pistol in saratoga county if you buy online. Buy the pistol and send money out, they ship to your ffl and send you the recept, you take it to the sheriffs station and wait another 3 weeks... SUCKS. I got 2 brand new pistols I paid for 2 weeks ago just hanging out waiting.

  15. #15
    Sergeant ADKeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    268

    Default

    I would say that for anybody looking to start their permit process in Saratoga County the best thing you can do is head up to the jail and pick up your application packet. This packet tells exactly what needs to be done, who to call, etc. Most questions will be answered just by getting this.

  16. #16
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    I'm going to try to get to the Sheriff's office today to get my paperwork so I can join in the fun of waiting.
    RPD46

  17. #17
    Sergeant ADKeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    268

    Default

    From what you said above, you've already been waiting to get your permit because you heard there was a lot of waitng involved....

  18. #18
    Colonel Degenret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Capital District
    Posts
    3,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADKeagle View Post
    From what you said above, you've already been waiting to get your permit because you heard there was a lot of waitng involved....
    He was in the simulated ride line to know what it is like to be in a line. Now he is getting in the line for the real ride.
    (South Park ref if the above made no sense to you. Start video at 22 seconds in. The Line Ride (Season 2, Episode 13) - Video Clips - South Park Studios)
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

  19. #19
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south glens falls, saratoga county
    Posts
    364

    Default

    just got my permit in the mail today!! 135 days from the day I dropped off the app....so really not too bad, of course I say that now that the wait is over.
    guygus3516 and Chicken Shoot like this.

  20. #20
    Colonel guygus3516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glens Falls
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenner View Post
    just got my permit in the mail today!! 135 days from the day I dropped off the app....so really not too bad, of course I say that now that the wait is over.
    congrats, I shoot at Dunhams Bay

  21. #21
    Colonel guygus3516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glens Falls
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman1024 View Post
    I got my permit this February.

    Last February I got my paperwork and called to schedule the class. Took me 9 months to get into the class and took it the 1st week of November. In the mean time I had all my paperwork done and turned it ready to go. From the time I took the class it was another 3 months for my permit to come in the mail.




    Now that I got my permit I wish we could work on the 3 week amendment process. It takes like 5 weeks to buy a pistol in saratoga county if you buy online. Buy the pistol and send money out, they ship to your ffl and send you the recept, you take it to the sheriffs station and wait another 3 weeks... SUCKS. I got 2 brand new pistols I paid for 2 weeks ago just hanging out waiting.
    I have been finding the face to face wait less than 2 weeks and the new judge seems to be OK

  22. #22
    Colonel guygus3516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glens Falls
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADKeagle View Post
    Yes, in Saratoga county the references must be from IN county. This is just another difference in the pistol permit process from county to county.
    ADK, hit "reply with quote" and the previous post will appear in the response. MY permit is in Saratoga County. My wife just took her class in Warren County, because that is where we live. Anyway, her paperwork surely says that a signer can live in a contiguous County, just another thing to confuse people.

  23. #23
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south glens falls, saratoga county
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guygus3516 View Post
    congrats, I shoot at Dunhams Bay
    I've been a member at HF fish and game for several years. As a matter of Fact my FFL is also a member there, so he gives great prices.
    guygus3516 likes this.

  24. #24
    Sergeant ADKeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guygus3516 View Post
    ADK, hit "reply with quote" and the previous post will appear in the response. MY permit is in Saratoga County. My wife just took her class in Warren County, because that is where we live. Anyway, her paperwork surely says that a signer can live in a contiguous County, just another thing to confuse people.
    Sorry if you got confused guygus. Like I said, that is just another difference between counties. All references have to be in county for Saratoga County, but not so for Warren or Rensselaer County. My borther, out in Erie County, is using a reference in the Syracuse area. Similarly, I know Washington & Rensselaer County will issue a permit without purchasing a handgun first. In Saratoga County you have to have one purchased before your permit will be issued. So, just like everything else, it is different county to county.

  25. #25
    Colonel guygus3516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glens Falls
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADKeagle View Post
    Sorry if you got confused guygus. Like I said, that is just another difference between counties. All references have to be in county for Saratoga County, but not so for Warren or Rensselaer County. My borther, out in Erie County, is using a reference in the Syracuse area. Similarly, I know Washington & Rensselaer County will issue a permit without purchasing a handgun first. In Saratoga County you have to have one purchased before your permit will be issued. So, just like everything else, it is different county to county.

    No confusion, just trying to share my limited computer knowledge, and yes, many little differences between Counties

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Saratoga County Pistol Permit Questions
    By Jimmy in forum Pistol Permits
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM
  2. Saratoga County Permit Timeline
    By Wildman1024 in forum Pistol Permits
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
  3. Finally rec'd my pistol permit! Saratoga County
    By Mish in forum Pistol Permits
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 09:43 AM
  4. Got my Saratoga County Unrestricted permit
    By guygus3516 in forum Pistol Permits
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2011, 07:35 AM
  5. Pistol Permit Saratoga County
    By DCNY in forum Laws and Politics - Firearms/Self Defense/Weapons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •