Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bear74

Thread: Albany City Unrestricted

Private

Default Albany City Unrestricted

A buddy of mine recently received his unrestricted permit in Albany, County, Albany City. Granted, he had his permit for about 6 years, has been an armed professional for almost all of the time, took multiple firearms classes, and even with all that it still took him 5 or 6 tries to get his restrictions removed, but the light at the end of the tunnel is that it is possible, even in the city of Albany.

Private

Do elaborate about the specifics including the 5 or 6 times. What did it take?

Private

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaBob View Post
    I was only able to speak with him briefly this morning. I am just as concerned with the specifics as well and will pass on what I can learn.

Your profile says you're from Schenectady, don't they have that concealled carry course where the judge will grant unrestricted based on taking and passing this course?

Private

The course in Schenectady doesn't guarantee an unrestricted permit. You have to be a permit holder for a year or more before you can take the course. Then you have to complete the course and pass it to get a certificate. Next, you have to send the certificate and a letter to the judge explaining why you want unrestricted. Finally, you have to interview with the judge again and he still can deny you.

great to hear success stories!

Private

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaBob View Post
    Spoke to him again today. Allow me to reiterate that he has been an armed professional for the past few years and holds mulitple armed security certifications, and it was his 5th time before the Judge on this regard. He has also had his permit for 5+ years.

Ironically it wasn't any specific security or safety need of which he cited his request for unrestriction. He very simply stated his training, experience and made it very clear to the judge that he has enough training and education to know what is safe and responsible carry, and more importantly, he has had more then enough training to know and avoid irresponsible and unsafe behavior
    guygus3516 likes this.

JVG

who was the judge?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

Private

Quote Originally Posted by JVG View Post
    who was the judge?
    Not 100% sure but I believe Styglemeier, I believe he is the only one who does permits in the city