Close

Private

Default NY (Broome County) Pistol Permit References Question

So I'm about to apply for my pistol permit in Broome County and have a bunch of people to use as references, problem being, those I know will be the quickest to reply and that are also gun nuts I'm finding out have oddites on their records, like a DWI here and a couple minor infractions from when they were under 21 (which is now 10-15 years ago).

I've heard people say that your references have to have a "clean" record, so does that mean I need to find someone that doesn't have a DWI on their record from 8 years ago? My worry is just having someone act as a reference and I may not know 100% how "clean" their record is.

I know it's a stupid question, but I don't want to get denied over something dumb like this..

Don't chance use reputable people... doesn't matter if they're gun nuts or not all they need to do is fill out a questioner and send it back
    Unrestricted NY LTC permit. PA LTC.

NRA member SCOPE member

Non felony charges don't always cause an issue. Not more than 6 years ago i myself had an alcohol related charge (not dwi). Spend time in and out of court spent alot of money on lawyer and fines and i now have a ccw in 2 states.
    Unrestricted NY LTC permit. PA LTC.

NRA member SCOPE member

The judge or the permit office WILL check the criminal records of your references. Find someone who you fully trust and believe to be decent and with a clean record.

You can only do so much, but you should know your references fairly well anyway if you are going to ask them to sign on your pistol/carry permit.

Come do our NY Legalities class first, before you submit everything. That certificate can help. Then, you can come do the Unrestricted Carry Permit Training....that will get you your full carry..

We are pretty plugged in to the peeps in Broome. Call if you need anything. I am pretty sure I can answer most if not all of your questions.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    Come do our NY Legalities class first, before you submit everything. That certificate can help. Then, you can come do the Unrestricted Carry Permit Training....that will get you your full carry..
    Your class does not guarantee an unrestricted carry permit unless I'm missing something.

James

James: Never said that, never will. NO class anywhere can guarantee it. It's all up to Judge Cawley....But with us doing over 90% of the upgrades and with a near 100% issuance rate........
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.