Close

Private

Default pistol permit in oswego county

I am a 34 yr old female looking to get my pistol permit. I have my application, just need to get my finger prints done. No mental health issues, no criminal history. Really the only reason I want the permit is so that I can be an armed security guard. Anyone have any input on thier experience with oswego county?

Sergeant

Even though you only want it for a job i believe you cant get a "work" permit unless you actually already have the job, therefore you have to apply for a "concealed carry" and as such you MUST fill out and have notarized the "supplement to application for the issuance of a "carry unrestricted" pistol license" form, aka the "proper cause" form. Another thing, I'm told, a lot of people miss is on the card board-ish application they forget to have their references sign next to their info. Bring everything with you to your appointment to get printed and you should be good to go. Took mine about 9 weeks to get but i hear its been a bit slower lately, go figure. Good Luck.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" -Wayne LaPierre
    SCOPE------------------------------------------------NRA--------------------------------------------------------GSSF

If the application is not completely filled out correctly you will be turned away by the Sheriffs Dept. and have to make a new appt. for fingerprints. It's best to have someone who has been thorough it to check it first. I would be more than willing to help with this if need be. PM me if you need help.
    Member NRA, GSSF,GOA, NYSRPA, S.C.O.P.E.

Private

Thank you, I was also wondering about the gun safety course that is required. I obviously don't already have a pistol, so how am i supposed to take the class? I was told that i needed to purchase my pistol before i get my permit. I thought that i would need the permit in order to purchase it?
    i really appreciate the info.

Private

Thank you, I was also wondering about the gun safety course that is required. I obviously don't already have a pistol, so how am i supposed to take the class? I was told that i needed to purchase my pistol before i get my permit. I thought that i would need the permit in order to purchase it?
    i really appreciate the info.

Sergeant

You do not need to purchase a gun before the safety course. There are a few counties that require you to buy a gun before you get your permit, but not Oswego. You can get finger printed and hand in your application before you take the safety course, but I don't think they like it so I wouldn't go that route. So call and get an appointment for your safety course, then call and make an appointment for finger prints/app turn in for the next available date after your course. That way you wont have much of a wait to turn in your application.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" -Wayne LaPierre
    SCOPE------------------------------------------------NRA--------------------------------------------------------GSSF

Private

so i had my fingerprints done this past tuesday night... when i got there they looked over my application and said it was perfect. here it is friday and the sherriffs office has already called my references. seems pretty quick to me. i did also put on my application one of my reasons for cc was hopeful future employment. crossing my fingers that it doesn't take forever to get approved.

Good Luck!
    Member NRA, GSSF,GOA, NYSRPA, S.C.O.P.E.

Private

filling out my pistol permit as we speak. Noticed you have 3 boxes to pick from for type of permit. concealed carry, posses on premiss and posses on premis/employment. I do not need the last one. which one should i check off?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose4488 View Post
    filling out my pistol permit as we speak. Noticed you have 3 boxes to pick from for type of permit. concealed carry, posses on premiss and posses on premis/employment. I do not need the last one. which one should i check off?
    check the box for concealed carry, the judge will generally place some administrative restriction on it like target shooting/hunting.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ III%
    Member Sons of Liberty, OATHKEEPERS, AMERICAN LEGION, NRA, GOA, SCOPE.
    In Memoriam of the 2,722,991 dead and 38,159 MIA U.S Soldiers They gave all for us, lets not forget why
    The warning shot is when I shoot the S.O.B. charging through the door in front of you!

Private

Oswego County currently offers 5 types of permits, dwelling, business, employment, sportsman and concealed carry. Even though the app only offers three options. This is a generic state form. As such, the least restrictive and most viable permit is the sportsman. This authorizes you to carry concealed as long as you are engaged in an outdoor recreational activity, hiking, hunting, snowmobiling, etc.... If this is in fact one of your intentions, check the "carry concealed" box and fill out the "additional proper cause form" included in your packet. If you, per the judge who ends up with your application cannot justify proper cause, the judge will "knock it down" to a level appropriate with you dis/qualifications. Usually sportsman.
    Last edited by hexidismal; 02-14-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Edited and PM sent about advertising on site and Vendor status