Close

Private

Default Rockland County Permit Question...Certificate of Disposition

Hi all...new member here and I'm excited to join such an informative forum. I just paid my $150 fee to the Rockland Co. Clerks Office to begin the process of acquiring my pistol permit. I will call on Mon. morning to make my appointment for fingerprinting at the Rockland Co. Sheriff's office...and was told by the clerk's office that I should report for the firearm safety class on
    May 30th, 2013. It seems a little far off...but I assume that's the nearest available opening.

My question has to do with the "certificate of disposition" for any prior arrests. I am 42 years old now but when I was 20 and still in college...I was arrested twice (both for underage drinking), once here in Rockland and once up in Rhode Island. The local court clerk said they should be able to give me one for the Rockland incident, but after a few phone calls...Rhode Island is saying they have no record of my incident on file. It definitely occurred, albeit 21 years ago...but my question is...will they process my application without the certificate of disposition from RI if I explain it thoroughly? I'm just wondering if anyone on the forum from Rockland has run into this problem, regarding a long ago minor arrest and then seeking a permit at a much later time...with no certificate of disposition.

Thank you to anyone who might have some information and I look forward to being a part of the forum.

Corporal

Why not ask the clerk's office? In Rockland they're very friendly and helpful.

Captain

Have the R.I. clerk send you a notarized letter stating they have no record of any arrest in your name. If for some reason it shows up in a NY search, you will be covered.

Private

Now they are in May with the safety class? Damn hell they must have a ton of apllications, mine is Feb. 28 and the one from my friend who allied a week later March 28 or so.

Private

Thanks for the reply, Ben. I did explain the situation to John at the clerk's office...and he said to enter the application with explaining the situation as best I could...and let them review it from there. I figured I would ask here...just to see if anyone knew of a similar situation and might have some insight. When Kathy from the clerks office gave me my packet of info to take home...thats when I read through it and saw a line that said "if you have been arrested, applications will not be processed without a certificate of disposition".

Private

Thanks Rubline....that is definitely something I'll look into...at least it would be something to cover my bases.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
    Now they are in May with the safety class? Damn hell they must have a ton of apllications, mine is Feb. 28 and the one from my friend who allied a week later March 28 or so.
    Yes...May 30th, no less...pretty much June. I thought that was far off to begin with...but then made me realize when I could even expect to get my permit. Are there any other safety classes you can take to speed up the process?

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
    I just saw that Davis has 2 classes next sat. and sun. The class is $175...but at least I don't have to wait until May, 30th.
    Last edited by mickw; 02-10-2013 at 10:25 PM.

From the best that I know, you have to take the required Rockland Co class put on by a local P.D. member. Anything else you do outside of this will help your overall knowledge because there are a bunch of things not covered by the R-Co class. They are buried with permit requests. If you have any priors, don't leave them out. The R.I. incident, as mentioned, try and get a letter. They are looking for honesty even thou you might have made a bad decision in life when young and stupid. If you had an underage drinking incident and now don't drink whatsoever, that is worth noting.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeachObama View Post
    From the best that I know, you have to take the required Rockland Co class put on by a local P.D. member. Anything else you do outside of this will help your overall knowledge because there are a bunch of things not covered by the R-Co class. They are buried with permit requests. If you have any priors, don't leave them out. The R.I. incident, as mentioned, try and get a letter. They are looking for honesty even thou you might have made a bad decision in life when young and stupid. If you had an underage drinking incident and now don't drink whatsoever, that is worth noting.
    Thanks for the reply, Impeach, I wasn't sure if the Rockland Co. Sheriff's class was required or "preferred"...I can call the clerk's office tomorrow and see if I can get a definitive answer from someone there. I will also call the RI clerks office again and inquire about getting a letter stating there is no record of the incident. Thanks for the input.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by mickw View Post
    I just saw that Davis has 2 classes next sat. and sun. The class is $175...but at least I don't have to wait until May, 30th.
    I wouldn't spend any money on it.

Anyway, very nice I have all my 4 reference letters ready to send

I don't know anything about the Davis class, but I could recommend the Basic Pistol class at Gun For Hire in Belleville, NJ. They are about 25 miles south, 35 minutes travel time. And yes, you can go down there and take it in NJ. And at the end of the class, since you don't own a pistol, they will allow you to borrow one and they will direct you thru shooting your very first 15 rounds or so. The Bullet Hole shooting range is right across the street. Cost might be $175. Imagine that, not only do you get to handle a pistol before having your NYS license, but you'll get to shoot a few also. Strange isn't it, that you can go to NJ and do that..? GFH has a ton of classes with shooting instruction in different locations throughout NJ.

Have your references contact you when they get a notice in the mail so you know what's going on. Then you will know to contact the others and ask them to expedite the response back to Clarkstown PD. That helps a lot, but this day and age with the quantity of permit requests, who knows. Back in the day, I got mine in 70 days.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeachObama View Post

Have your references contact you when they get a notice in the mail so you know what's going on. Then you will know to contact the others and ask them to expedite the response back to Clarkstown PD. That helps a lot, but this day and age with the quantity of permit requests, who knows. Back in the day, I got mine in 70 days.
    I have prepered envelopes with stamps on it for my references, collect the letters and mail them myself.