I know this is a little late... but FYI:
I turned in my COMPLETED pistol permit to the Ulster County Sheriff Office on November 28, 2012 (Pre-Sandy Hook). I got approved for my pistol permit on March 26, 2013. It took just under 17 weeks (4 months). I was approved for FULL CARRY by the Honorable Donald A Williams. No meeting was requested for my application.
It is to my understanding that one of the three judges in Ulster County request a meeting with all applicants.
Here is a break down in the costs for this entire process.
- Pickup application at Ulster County Sheriff Office - $5.00
- I took free "Basic Handgun Safety Course at Gander Mountain in Kingston, NY (first Wednesday of every month) - Free
- I also took the "NRA Home Firearm Safety Course" at Ruger's Gun Store in Kingston, NY - $75.00
- I was able to get all my paperwork notarized by a friend - Free (not sure what they normally charge)
- My finger prints done - $103.00
- I had to get a disposition for a old arrest from a local town court - $5.00
- Turn in my application and get photos done at Ulster County Sheriff's Office - $10.00
If I could make any recommendations to anyone who is interested in getting a pistol permit you should do the following:
1) Get your application at the Ulster County Sheriff's Office
2) Complete all your paperwork entirely and get it notarized as needed
3) Take your free safety class at Gander Mountain
4) Get your finger prints completed
5) Write a letter to the Supreme Court Judge (you will add this to application you turn in) as to why you need a Pistol Permit.
6) Turn in all your paperwork
**** If you do not complete your paperwork... the Pistol Division at Ulster County Sheriff's office will either find it completed while you are standing there or they will push it to the side and notify you by mail that it is incomplete (this could be a MAJOR delay)
The free safety class at Gander Mountain the instructor will discuss the importance of writing a letter as to why you need a permit. Writing a letter is a MUST.
Make sure everything is completed and then finally turn it all in to the Ulster County Sheriffs Office Pistol Division.
I hope I am able to help other understand the process and make it easier. Good Luck!!!