Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By JBraker
  • 1 Post By CountyCorrectionOfficer
  • 1 Post By Skwiggledork

Thread: Pistol Permit Approved - Ulster County

Default Pistol Permit Approved - Ulster County

I know this is a little late... but FYI:

I turned in my COMPLETED pistol permit to the Ulster County Sheriff Office on November 28, 2012 (Pre-Sandy Hook). I got approved for my pistol permit on March 26, 2013. It took just under 17 weeks (4 months). I was approved for FULL CARRY by the Honorable Donald A Williams. No meeting was requested for my application.

It is to my understanding that one of the three judges in Ulster County request a meeting with all applicants.

Here is a break down in the costs for this entire process.

- Pickup application at Ulster County Sheriff Office - $5.00
    - I took free "Basic Handgun Safety Course at Gander Mountain in Kingston, NY (first Wednesday of every month) - Free
    - I also took the "NRA Home Firearm Safety Course" at Ruger's Gun Store in Kingston, NY - $75.00
    - I was able to get all my paperwork notarized by a friend - Free (not sure what they normally charge)
    - My finger prints done - $103.00
    - I had to get a disposition for a old arrest from a local town court - $5.00
    - Turn in my application and get photos done at Ulster County Sheriff's Office - $10.00

If I could make any recommendations to anyone who is interested in getting a pistol permit you should do the following:

1) Get your application at the Ulster County Sheriff's Office
    2) Complete all your paperwork entirely and get it notarized as needed
    3) Take your free safety class at Gander Mountain
    4) Get your finger prints completed
    5) Write a letter to the Supreme Court Judge (you will add this to application you turn in) as to why you need a Pistol Permit.
    6) Turn in all your paperwork

**** If you do not complete your paperwork... the Pistol Division at Ulster County Sheriff's office will either find it completed while you are standing there or they will push it to the side and notify you by mail that it is incomplete (this could be a MAJOR delay)

The free safety class at Gander Mountain the instructor will discuss the importance of writing a letter as to why you need a permit. Writing a letter is a MUST.

Make sure everything is completed and then finally turn it all in to the Ulster County Sheriffs Office Pistol Division.

I hope I am able to help other understand the process and make it easier. Good Luck!!!
    Jezman and Tautologistics like this.
    JBraker
    Ulster County, NY

NEXT step for me is to take the Florida and Utah permit class to cross file into other states. Anyone else interested in taking the class and is in or close to Ulster County.... These people offer the class:

Catskill Mountains Firearms, LLC - Home
    JBraker
    Ulster County, NY

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by JBraker View Post
    I know this is a little late... but FYI:

I turned in my COMPLETED pistol permit to the Ulster County Sheriff Office on November 28, 2012 (Pre-Sandy Hook). I got approved for my pistol permit on March 26, 2013. It took just under 17 weeks (4 months). I was approved for FULL CARRY by the Honorable Donald A Williams. No meeting was requested for my application.

It is to my understanding that one of the three judges in Ulster County request a meeting with all applicants.

Here is a break down in the costs for this entire process.

- Pickup application at Ulster County Sheriff Office - $5.00
    - I took free "Basic Handgun Safety Course at Gander Mountain in Kingston, NY (first Wednesday of every month) - Free
    - I also took the "NRA Home Firearm Safety Course" at Ruger's Gun Store in Kingston, NY - $75.00
    - I was able to get all my paperwork notarized by a friend - Free (not sure what they normally charge)
    - My finger prints done - $103.00
    - I had to get a disposition for a old arrest from a local town court - $5.00
    - Turn in my application and get photos done at Ulster County Sheriff's Office - $10.00

If I could make any recommendations to anyone who is interested in getting a pistol permit you should do the following:

1) Get your application at the Ulster County Sheriff's Office
    2) Complete all your paperwork entirely and get it notarized as needed
    3) Take your free safety class at Gander Mountain
    4) Get your finger prints completed
    5) Write a letter to the Supreme Court Judge (you will add this to application you turn in) as to why you need a Pistol Permit.
    6) Turn in all your paperwork

**** If you do not complete your paperwork... the Pistol Division at Ulster County Sheriff's office will either find it completed while you are standing there or they will push it to the side and notify you by mail that it is incomplete (this could be a MAJOR delay)

The free safety class at Gander Mountain the instructor will discuss the importance of writing a letter as to why you need a permit. Writing a letter is a MUST.

Make sure everything is completed and then finally turn it all in to the Ulster County Sheriffs Office Pistol Division.

I hope I am able to help other understand the process and make it easier. Good Luck!!!
    Very good information,JBraker. However; I must add the three pistol licensing officers in Ulster County are County Judge Williams, Supreme Court Justices Cahill and Gilpatrick. Cahill and Gilpatrick require personal interviews and will generally issue RESTRICTED permits the first time out unless the applicant is employed or retired law enforcement. From what I understand there is a backlog of applications at the pistol permit unit and the total processing time is running over 12 months.
    JBraker likes this.

Captain

Congratulations. This is also good news for me. My application was submitted in the beginning of December and went to Judge Williams on May 3rd. Enjoy.
    JBraker likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    SAF Life Memeber

Quote Originally Posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
    Very good information,JBraker. However; I must add the three pistol licensing officers in Ulster County are County Judge Williams, Supreme Court Justices Cahill and Gilpatrick. Cahill and Gilpatrick require personal interviews and will generally issue RESTRICTED permits the first time out unless the applicant is employed or retired law enforcement. From what I understand there is a backlog of applications at the pistol permit unit and the total processing time is running over 12 months.
    Like you mentioned I too am hearing from some others that two of the judges do request meetings and that they will approve a restricted license until the applicant takes an additional 8 hour class.
    JBraker
    Ulster County, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Skwiggledork View Post
    Congratulations. This is also good news for me. My application was submitted in the beginning of December and went to Judge Williams on May 3rd. Enjoy.
    I would imagine that it shouldnt be long for you now.
    JBraker
    Ulster County, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Skwiggledork View Post
    Additional advice for you.... as soon as you get approved go to Sheriff's office pistol decision and request an "Opt Out" form. You complete the form and send it to the county clerks office.
    JBraker
    Ulster County, NY

Private

interesting. My experience is somewhat different. I turned in my completed app dec 20th. Have an interview w judge Williams this Monday the 17th of June. . 6 months from when I handed in the application. I was told ALL judges are doing interviews now.....

CMF

We offer the Utah and Florida CCW course and include the NRA Home Firearm Safety Certicate which can be submitted for your NY (Ulster and many other couties) permit. Why not get them all done at once? You should submit the course certificate with your Ulster application. We include a lite meal and beverages with the courses. We can notarize your application with proper id. If you take the course with some friends, you can each provide reference for one another and we'll be happy to notarize. Our next course is on Sunday June 23 at our store in Kerhonkson. Check out our website, Catskill Mountains Firearms, LLC - Home for specifics.

We're also doing the course in Coxsackie on June 29th. We'll travel almost anywhere in NY and conduct the class for your group. We are Gold Members of NY Firearms. Call with any questions...845-626-7676.

Captain

Tspot- I got a letter for an interview on the 17th as well. I'm kind of nervous.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    SAF Life Memeber

Williams signed mine without interview for full carry years ago. Judge Williams is a advocate for the 2nd amendment. Only after I got my permit did he and I get to know each other from working together. He's a stand up, no BS guy. If you watch the papers and see the blotter and in the court sections of the freeman, he hands down sentanes that match the crime PLUS extended probation terms. At the interview just be honest, maintain eye contact and be confident. If you cannot be confident in front of him how can you be confident in defending yourself and representing the gun owning community.

Congrats

Private

"Write a letter to the Supreme Court Judge (you will add this to application you turn in) as to why you need a Pistol Permit."

What are some reasons to carry that the Court will find acceptable? I don't have a business where I carry a lot of cash. I'm not a jeweler. What kind of reason will cause them to say okay?