New York Firearms Forum banner

NY State permit valid in PA

4K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  armyman73 
#1 ·
Am going to the Poconos shortly and wonder if I could take my 1911 with me for target shooting.

#2 ·
I believe open carry or transport in a locked case- PA does not require you to have a permit to possess and take to the range- You just need a permit to CC. NY permit is not valid in PA. So either carry loud and proud or lock it up until you get to the range.

#17 ·
As many of us here reading this..i gotta say.waaahhht?? I have CC NY and can drive to Lackawanna andgo to the Sheriffs office and walk out with a PA full carry permit for their state for 20$ without waiting year like our counties here? But what about he whole AG is a gunhater..how long is that non res carry permit good for?

#4 ·
Agree with everything above. You are actually allowed to conceal carry in PA with your NY permit IN YOUR CAR. Other than that it needs to be open carry without PA permit. If you are only target shooting, recommend keeping it unloaded in a locked case until you are at the range, but technically, you can carry openly (I'm just not a big fan of that). The process at Scranton is very easy and you walk out with full carry in 20 minutes as stated above. Good luck.

#5 ·
Just to confirm, Lackawanna Sheriffs office will still grant them to non residents? That's a hell of a lot faster than Center. I could do that next weekend...

#18 ·
PA non-resident permit is good for 5 years. I believe the issue with the AG involved reciprocity with other states and non residents obtaining non resident permits from other states and using it in PA (e.g., NY resident obtains UT non resident to carry in PA). PA honors UT permit for UT residents and offers a PA non-resident permit to NY residents. As with most things in life, follow the money...

#20 ·
I plan on writing up an FAQ for the PA non resident permit when I get my lazy arse down there to grab one.

#26 ·
I wonder if the "circular" logic world work for some people and getting their restrictions removed.

Have NY restricted permit--->Apply for and get PA CCW---> Apply for unrestricted permit in NY for the reason "I have an unrestricted CCW in another state."

?

#30 ·
Has anyone tried to get a Pa non-resident permit through Erie Pa??? I go through Erie a couple times a year, I might as well stop and get a permit while Im there?

Pa and Oh have a reciprocity agreement correct?

#34 ·
I got my PA non res in Wayne county over the summer. Not as easy as other counties. The application had to be dropped off in person and my permit had to be picked up in person as well. Took about 3 weeks for it to be approved. Also, Wayne county will only issue you a non resident carry permit if you have a full carry in NY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.