Gardening - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gardening

'Kraut seems pretty basic - and here is a pretty basic recipe for it! - Making Sauerkraut | Wild Fermentation :: Wild Fermentation
    My favorite treat to can every year is hot pepper jelly ...... can never make enough
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    My cousin counted 13 deer in my garden this morning, I'm afraid to look
    how many could you harvest with 6 shots?

I made hot pepper jam today with wild black berries and black caps. Tomorrow I was thinking maybe horseradish grinding experiments.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

Major

So far I managed to get 3 chili peppers, and about 4 green peppers and 2 red peppers. Tomatoes still are growing though.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by sr20sean View Post
    So far I managed to get 3 chili peppers, and about 4 green peppers and 2 red peppers. Tomatoes still are growing though.
    Almost everyones tomatos got the blight this year around here. Worst year I've ever seen for it.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
    Almost everyones tomatos got the blight this year around here. Worst year I've ever seen for it.
    My tomatoes are doing pretty good this year. Had some fresh beets from the garden for dinner tonite.

kmussack

A pump garden sprayer and some copper solution mix fungicide and you can beat back the blight. We learned the hard way.

I got the blight two years ago, it wiped me out, my tomatoes are thriving this year, should get tons of them.

Back onto survival gardening though.

This year I am going to buy all heritage seeds and a book about how to save them properly. I want to become efficient at saving and re using my own seeds so if the time ever comes I can make every inch of my one acre a productive food supply.

I attempted to save some last year but most of them were sterile, I did get some pumpkins and squash from a pumpkin farm though and saved those seeds, they sprouted and grew like mad. And now we have massive pumpkins already.

Major

Mine seem nice and healthy. They're just still green hahaha I've been growing everything in large pots rather than in the dirt.

I got my blight under controle! I use raised rows to get better drainage. I have drainage issues in my back yard. I cut down 2 trees in the corner to let the sun in this has helped tremendously! I expanded my garden in the last 4 years from a 10x10 to a 80x 25. critters have hit me hard this year. the squrels took out the beets bush beans and peas twice. I took them out ... about 23 of them. One rabbit that didnt get the clover was for him. Not my letuce. one deer came through and ate one head.

I have wild berrys. Herbs. a strwberry patch, Onion patch. I grew beets bell peppers some mild hot peppers, carrots. 3 kinds of heirloom tomatoes. eggplant, collards, bush beans, sugar snaps peas. letuces, summer squash cucumbers. I stll have an empty row that I think I may plant some late spinach.

Everything is starting to come in hard right now.

Major

I made stuffed peppers last night with the peppers I picked the other day and yesterday. Delicious!

I'm considering starting to raise chickens for eggs and also for the meat.

Corporal

nice garden.i originally did 5ft deer netting. the rabbits chewed right through it so i wrapped the bottom of the deer netting in 3ft high chicken wire and that solved the rabbit problem. now my crops are growing like crazy. gotta love eating home grown food,nothing better.

Quote Originally Posted by HCBM View Post
    gotta love eating home grown food,nothing better.
    Nothing more satisfying either. My wife loves that I hunt and garden.

I made wraps out of fresh veggies and some sausage I ground from last years deer the other night. She didn't grow up with stuff like that so she savors every bite and reminds me every time how I did all the work myself to get that food on the plate.

Corporal

I am very impressed with what you all are able to grow on your land! I have a very small lot that my home is built on, only 0.1 acres, but i would still like to try growing some vegetables. Any recommendations for what to try and grow in a small mini-garden... like 5x10 foot space?

The artist formerly known as jhm8071 NirvanaFan's Avatar
    Popped a smoke bomb and peaced out of here

How much sun does it get?
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." - Thomas Jefferson

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by jhm8071 View Post
    How much sun does it get?
    If this question was directed at me:

During the morning hours it would be in the shade of the house, and during the late afternoon/evening hours it would be in the shadow of a tree. So during the late spring/summer season it would be in sunlight from roughly 10am-4pm maybe? Not sure how else to answer that question lol.

The artist formerly known as jhm8071 NirvanaFan's Avatar
    Popped a smoke bomb and peaced out of here

Yup, my question was to you.

You'll be able to grow most things with 6 good hours of sunlight. Any "fruity" vegetable like tomatoes, squash, peppers, etc. need 6 or more hours. Your greens (cabbage, spinach, lettuce) can do with a little less. Greens tend not to do as well in the heat either, which will be good for you because they will be shaded for some of the hot day.

I would probably start with a few lettuce, carrots, radish, broccoli, a couple tomatoes, and some beans. That is just me though. I tend to like to eat those veggies best. Make sure to plant the tallest growing veggies in the back (North). You don't want them to shade out the shorter ones. Plant a few of each and see what grows best for you. Then, you'll know what works best for your second year of gardening. If you don't like a certain veggie, sub another one in it's place.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12