Antibiotics without a perscription for B.O.B.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

Default Antibiotics without a perscription for B.O.B.

I have heard of people using animal antibiotics before and completely forgot about it until this link was sent to me.

Guide to Veterinary Drugs for Human Consumption, Post-SHTF | Truth is Treason

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    BANNED

Never would have thought of that, very interesting.

Just be careful, a lot of that stuff is Chinese knockoffs. not real antibiotics. That industry is a mess.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

Here is another article I found that has some good info on what to look for when buying.

Are Fish Antibiotics Safe for Human Consumption?

Just get a prescription.

Walk into you doctor's office, tell him what you are doing, and what you'd like to get. Ask him for suggestions. Plenty of doctors will write a preemptive prescription, if you are up front and have a decent relationship with hem.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker View Post
    Just get a prescription.

Walk into you doctor's office, tell him what you are doing, and what you'd like to get. Ask him for suggestions. Plenty of doctors will write a preemptive prescription, if you are up front and have a decent relationship with hem.
    Ok cool, what if they say no?

Not every doctor will write the script. Also in a disaster and in a pinch it might be easier to get fish antibiotics since they aren't locked in the cage of a pharmacy.

Just saying its always good to have new information because you never know when it might come in handy.

The anti's we have on hand for aquarium use are the EXACT same ones my son had prescribed to him this past fall .... I took the fish ones to his doctor and he confirmed ... also after a bit of research found that they are in fact the same crap in different bottles ...
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

Quote Originally Posted by demerson View Post
    The anti's we have on hand for aquarium use are the EXACT same ones my son had prescribed to him this past fall .... I took the fish ones to his doctor and he confirmed ... also after a bit of research found that they are in fact the same crap in different bottles ...

Probably a lot cheaper too!

Soooooo....how do you know if your fi...nevermind

Major

I got some Amoxicillin and Ciprofloxacin last year from a fish supply place.

I didn't have use of it, but a family friend who is infection prone did. I let him guinea pig it. It worked.
    At age 21, I did two things: Stopped wearing underwear and started carrying a gun. The combination has enabled me to remain calm in even the most stressful of situations.

A tablespoon of pure,raw honey will work as well....It is also great for burns and will stop infection and speed healing in exterior wounds....

"There's a time to live,a time to die,a time to meet your maker...But isn't it strange as soon as your born,your dying" Bruce Dickinson ~IM~

My wife prescribes all sorts of medication on a daily basis in her area of the medical field so I figured I'd ask her about this one...

Short answer is that the "fish store" antibiotic dosages are extremely low, and there's NO FDA regulation or oversight of what is contained within those antibiotics. So, you might have to take a LOT of them in order to get the same dosage as you would from a Rx. So those comparing the cost of fish store antibiotics vs. Rx Antibiotics are overlooking dosages and other factors.

If you were in a pinch with an infection during a catastrophe and had nothing else, would they be better than nothing? Not by much, unless you had several cases full of them and were willing to take enough to measure up to the dosage you'd get from a Rx Antibiotic. In most cases, antibiotics need to be taken for 7-10 days to ensure eradication of the infection. If you have insurance, generic Antibiotic Rx's are fairly inexpensive. Keep in mind that antibiotics do have a shelf life, some expire much faster than others. Store them in the refrigerator or freezer and they might be good for some months beyond their advertised shelf life. That was her $0.02 on the matter.

I asked her if she'd be willing to prescribe antibiotics preemptively for B.O.B. purposes. She said it would potentially constitute insurance fraud since insurance only agrees to pay for them for a CURRENT, diagnosed infection. Dr's are unlikely to prescribe antibiotics for stockpiling purposes due to the possible insurance fallout. Also, the FDA does not regulate fish store antibiotics so who knows if the dosage listed on the label is correct or not. No one is overseeing that.
    Last edited by ChrisWNY; 12-30-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    NYS/FL CCW
    --------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of those who threaten to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
    My wife prescribes all sorts of medication on a daily basis in her area of the medical field so I figured I'd ask her about this one...

Short answer is that the "fish store" antibiotic dosages are extremely low. You'd have to take a LOT of them in order to get the same dosage as you would for a Rx. If you were in a pinch with an infection during a catastrophe and had nothing else, would they be better than nothing? Not by much, unless you had several cases full of them and were willing to take enough to measure up to the dosage you'd get in a Rx Antibiotic. If you have insurance, generic Antbiotic Rx's are fairly inexpensive. Keep in mind that antibiotics do have a shelf life, some expire much faster than others. Store them in the refrigerator and they might be good a few months beyond their advertised shelf life...
    Agree 100% that actual script antibiotics would be the way to go but ...in a pinch ....
    The ones my son was prescribed I believe he had to take 2 at a time ...
    Depending on which ones you get .... the caps that need to be broken open or crushed and mixed before adding to the tanks .... are 250 up to 500mg ....
    heres the copy and paste from one of those links ....
    Penicillin

Penicillin is an antibiotic in the penicillin group of drugs. It fights bacteria in your body.

Penicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, urinary tract infections, septicemia, meningitis, intra-abdominal infection, gonorrhea, syphilis, pneumonia, respiratory infections, ear, nose and throat infections, skin and soft tissue infections.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Pen and 500mg Fish Pen Forte

Amoxicillin

A penicillin antibiotic. It fights bacteria in your body.

Amoxicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and E. coli or salmonella infection.

More information can be found here, including side effects, allergic reactions, etc.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Mox (for children) and 500mg Fish Mox Forte (for adults).

Ciprofloxacin, or Cipro

Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones. It is used as a potent, broad-spectrum antibiotic to fight bacteria in the body.

It may also be used to prevent or slow anthrax after exposure.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 500mg Fish Flox Forte

Cephalexin, or Keflex

Cephalexin is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics. Keflex fights bacteria in the body.

Keflex is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections, ear infections, skin infections, urinary tract infections, tooth and mouth infections.

More information can be found here, including side effects, allergic reactions, etc.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Flex and 500mg Fish Flex Forte

Again the caps my son were prescribed were exactly the same as the ones we have always kept on had for the aquariums .... the only difference being the jar they came in ...
    Last edited by demerson; 12-30-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

BANNED

Well here is the deal, there are many different antibiotics, that work on different types of infections cause buy different types and strains of bacteria. Prescribing them for your self is just plain stupid. Do you know different drug interactions, do you know if you are allergic to x you may also be MORE allergic to b, c or d and have an anaphalatic reaction? Do you know what drugs treat which bugs? Do you know what bug you have? Do you know you can give your self a worse infection with the wrong antibiotic? Do you know if you have a bacterial vs viral infection? I see people from all over the state in the ICU I work in because they did stupid things that seemed ok at the time, I don't want to meet any of you guys that way.

^ What Evild said. Take the wrong antibiotic too long and you can end up with a raging C-diff infection. That is usually deadly unless treated promptly. Antibiotics also present the danger of producing resistant strains of bacteria. Hence why [good] Dr's won't prescribe them without the proper lab work to determine exactly what strain of bacteria a patient may or may not have.

If you're going to stock up on antibiotics, stock up on topical antibiotics, such as Neosporin (lots of cheap generics out there for that one). Disinfectants are important as well - keep a good stash of Hydrogen Peroxide, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, Bleach, and other antibacterial cleaners that are designed to destroy both viruses and bacteria on kitchen/bathroom surfaces. Straight up bleach with a rinse under the faucet is an excellent hand sanitizer if you've had your hands in some seriously nasty sh*t.
    Last edited by ChrisWNY; 12-30-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    NYS/FL CCW

Well yeh - you don't want to be popping them like candy at every thought of an infection .... but everyone should have some on hand and know what/how/when to use them .... We have various animals in and out of here ... chickens,goats,sheep,cows, pigs once in a while ... and have been dealing with basic medical treatment of those animals for years ... I know they are not humans - most all of the meds and antibiotics we have had to use(and it is very infrequently -most everything in an animal will clear itself ) are all pretty much the same in different doses - the animal products , I am betting are less "pure" and wouldn't suggest using them unless it were an out and out emergency ...SHTF situation/nothing else available deal.
    However the stuff for the home aquarium owner to use is the same .... and if one were to know the proper dosages and use it only when its needed and not over used ..... hell we get enough of that crap residual in the food we get at the store .... good to have on hand with the info needed to use it safely.
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

LOL...so you're saying if we need antibiotics when the SHTF, keep some store-bought ground beef handy...

I'll agree that some infections are easy to identify (i.e. an infected wound is nearly always Staph), so antibiotics that are most effective against Staph (especially MRSA) are probably the best ones to keep handy. Most of the other sh*t out there requires more extensive lab work and lots of clinical experience and knowledge to diagnose.
    Last edited by ChrisWNY; 12-30-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    NYS/FL CCW

If you keep eating it you're gonna need some super antibiotics
    Really if you can find meat and dairy thats antibiotic free ... I am not sure how much carries through to a final product , but if we do have to treat an animal with antibiotics - which we hate doing - I won't butcher or sell that animal for a minimum of 6 months ... chickens ... all the eggs get tossed for a minimum of a week ... meat chickens get culled as they only live 8 weeks anyways and wouldn't want to eat any that have been treated.
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

If you keep eating it you're gonna need some super antibiotics
    Really if you can find meat and dairy thats antibiotic free ... I am not sure how much carries through to a final product , but if we do have to treat an animal with antibiotics - which we hate doing - I won't butcher or sell that animal for a minimum of 6 months ... chickens ... all the eggs get tossed for a minimum of a week ... meat chickens get culled as they only live 8 weeks anyways and wouldn't want to eat any that have been treated.
    This is why I hunt deer. I love venison, and I don't have to worry about any of the trash that cattle may or may not be eating in some of those enormous farms that sell to the big grocers out there. It's great to know though that some do pay attention to what they feed their cattle and chickens, and care about the product they're selling. We need more like you!
    NYS/FL CCW

Sorry havent been on for a while but think there was some great discussion here on the topic guys. Thanks.

Vitamin C, plenty of water, and all the Antioxidants you can cram into your body should stave off MOST infection (does for me anyway) however, people seriously stop taking A/B unless you absolutely need to!!! Your body is growing immune, i can't tell you how many people i see that have to come back for 3 or 4 diff A/B because the Amox. isn't working anymore. I've taken 2 courses of A/B in the last 12 years and they were both last year for a tooth infection that wouldn't go away with my natural approach.

edit to add: Same goes for this A/B Hand sanitizer. Stop using it unless absolutely in a pinch. It is NOT a replacement for soap and water, and the more you use it, the less effective it is.

Unfortunately I cant find the article I read a few years back but here is the basic point.

Hospitals around the world were studied to look at cleaning practices, antibiotics prescribed and infections.

What was basically found was that american hospitals have higher staph infection rates compared to some hospitals in europe somewhere that left soiled sheets in the hall way. But I think the main reason for less infection was not that the soiled sheets were left in hallway but the fact that antibiotics were only given when absolutely necessary where as here in the states they are given a lot more often when not really needed.

tablespoon raw honey and 1/4 teaspoon cinniom..antibacteria and antivirial..

Cinnamon is also an anti fungal of sorts ... we use it when starting seedlings if we have an issue with damping off disease and/or that weird smokey looking fungal crap on the top of the soil when the humidity is high .... dunno if you would want it on your feet your crotch ....
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

Just don't take too much cinnamon straight up, or you'll have a really bad day like this guy. LOL....

NYS/FL CCW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast