Close

Thread: AR mag ?????

Default AR mag ?????

I Have a 30rd Circle Kay Industries mag, Was told its a pre-ban but No markings at all for a date. Anyone any any info on these mags?

its not the gun its the person behind it

IIRC that's a USGI mag so if there are no markings it's probably preban.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Troy's Mag FAQ

[2-2-2] Okay Industries 30-Round Mags
    -------
    Okay Industries is a current US Military contractor, and is the subcontractor that manufactures all Colt-marked AR-15 magazines. They also sell magazines under their own name, identical except for the floorplate stamping. Early mags had black plastic followers; mags made since 1992 had green "anti-tilt" followers. Made from late 1970s-present. Floorplates stamped:

(Okay Logo) INDUSTRIES,
    INC.
    NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.

I have never seen an O Kay mag that was pre-ban... not saying they aren't out there but I never seen one.

OKay Industries Inc. Magazines are stamped on the side of the magazine body with the company logo and name (on the side where the magazine lock cut-out is) - and on that side near the bottom is the production number and date code - something like 33710 with 5-03 as being May, 2003.

Like I said - Never saw one that was Pre-Ban but they could be out there, who knows? I had about 20-sum-odd magazines that I was never asked to turn back in when I left the Army and when sorting through them most of them were OKay mags and not pre-ban - the only pre-ban magazines I had were DSI Sanchez (ok with good followers) and Center Industries magazines.

Most likely you have a magazine rebuilt using an OKay Industries floor plate.

I guess the post above proves that they were made prior to the ban
    Last edited by Sprout47; 07-23-2010 at 08:37 PM.

I just pulled apart a few Okay mags. One has a '91 date stamp inside the body and one has an '87 date stamp inside the body. The others have no markings on the body. All of them have black followers.

I've never seen a USGI mag with a manufacturer on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    I just pulled apart a few Okay mags. One has a '91 date stamp inside the body and one has an '87 date stamp inside the body. The others have no markings on the body. All of them have black followers.

I've never seen a USGI mag with a manufacturer on the body.
    I will take a pick of one that was left in a mag pouch.

Kind of lousy resolution - couldn't get enough light on it and don't have my camera handy so had to use the phone

I think you can make it out in the pick though - it is essentially a smaller stamp of what is on the floorplate.

These were issued to me and this is the last one I had left - most of the mags I had were Okay's as I said above but I am pretty sure that all of them had this stamp, may have been something the late production runs started doing?

Good thing I read this thread I have been meaning to mail this mag out to a bud in TN to hold-on for me
    Last edited by Sprout47; 07-23-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Nope no stamp. I took it apart and found 2 sets of numbers inside of it one sode is 06 other side is 01

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout47 View Post
    Kind of lousy resolution - couldn't get enough light on it and don't have my camera handy so had to use the phone

I think you can make it out in the pick though - it is essentially a smaller stamp of what is on the floorplate.

These were issued to me and this is the last one I had left - most of the mags I had were Okay's as I said above but I am pretty sure that all of them had this stamp, may have been something the late production runs started doing?

Good thing I read this thread I have been meaning to mail this mag out to a bud in TN to hold-on for me

its not the gun its the person behind it

Quote Originally Posted by Flysh22 View Post
    Nope no stamp. I took it apart and found 2 sets of numbers inside of it one sode is 06 other side is 01

If that black follower is original then that is an olden (has the brassy color of the metal as well). Looks like someone spray painted it lol. Mine has two sets of numbers on the inside as well.

BANNED

Jan. 1990 stamp., I think you're reading the nine as a six. The numbers don't always go the same direction as those on the other side.

Private

i believe that is a pre-ban, the tory's mag FAQ site is outstanding for identifying pre-ban mags. lots of good info.

and with the numbers stamped on the inside, you should be good. i'm sure its just upside down like Rich said.