New York Firearms Forum banner

Tavor Or AR-15 For Home Defense?

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  hofmeisterkink 
#1 ·
I know many people feel the AR is a great long gun for home defense. I like the idea. Anyhow I was at a LGS Friday and I saw a Tavor hanging from the rack. MAN that thing was sweet. Light weight. WAY smaller than any of the AR's there and it takes AR mags. I went home watched at least 4 reviews on it and the gun is highly thought of. I dont see why someone wouldnt go with it over a AR for home defense. Even general purpose. Only ting DAMN the price take 1899.99. WOW. If I was going to spend that kind of change and not buy a M1A Id kick myself. ID seems pricey for what it is. Thoughts?

#9 ·
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the Tavor X95 is bad. I would buy one if it's legal in NYC. But because I have a chance to shoot it back to back with my SCR, I was able to make a comparison using the same ammo. All my friends that shot both rifle said the same thing, the kick back on the Tavor is harder than the SCR. Not by much, but noticeable.

#10 ·
i have an x95 and i would absolutely use it for home defense over an AR any day. It is such a small gun, tinier than 16 inch ar with stock all the way collapsed and much more comfortable feeling. Very maneuverable. I wouldn't say the recoil is really that much harsher than a AR its just different. It does cost a small fortune though but always a head turner at the range and i let everyone shoot it and they always walk away smiling.

#17 ·
Virtually every single professional team that has to fight inside houses and can choose it's own weapon chooses an AR-15, The reasons are simple: The AR 15 provides 30 rounds of highly effective ammunition on tap, in a package that allow high accuracy, low recoil, excellent weapon retention, and a convenient mounting system for lights and optics.
Those professional teams are not concerned about family members in adjacent rooms, nor are they concerned about causing injuries (or worse) to neighbors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.