Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default KVAR now offering NY Compliant AK's!

That's right - no longer will you need to jump through hoops to get an Arsenal SGL in NY.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=430&page=1

They ship right to your FFL - ez-pz!
    SGT - US Army 96-04

Corporal

man do I want an AK really bad! Might have to sell off some of my higher end optics :P

FWIW - these come with a thread protector covering 24mm threads that the weld can be removed to remove the protector to place a compensator/brake on - which of course would need to be welded/soldered in place in-turn.

I recently acquired a SGL-20 and I must say that the quality is much higher than even my other Saiga's.

The SGL's are made at the Legion shop in the Izhevsk arsenal and undergo a higher level of quality control than the standard Saiga, as well as not having all the extra holes that are present in the Saiga receivers.

The best seller for these rifles are their fire control groups - most people familiar with other AK varieties can attest to the fact that the AK trigger doesn't have a definite breaking point - this is not true with the Arsenal AK's, the creep in the trigger comes to a definite stop and has a crisp break that should allow for better marksmanship as most error in shooting comes from trigger pull.
    SGT - US Army 96-04

Cool, I hadn't heard this news. Good info. Actually though.. thanks a LOT buddy.. now you've undoubtedly made me even more poor. :P

^ lol - if my judgement was slightly worse I would probably jump on this myself.

I actually heard the wife say when I came home with the latest - "why did you need another AK?"

I then explained to her the difference between 'need' and 'want' and also that I think the minimum number of AK's is somewhere around 50 and I haven't reached that threshold yet
    SGT - US Army 96-04

BANNED

That's awesome! Not a terrible price either.

Not bad at all scars - a little more than the standard SGL-21 but that is understandable considering the extra work to make it NY ban compliant and actually keeping an overhead of stock to do it.
    SGT - US Army 96-04

Yeah , I simply don't have the extra cash at the moment, but it's nice to know the option is there. I just recently passed up a great deal on a conv. Saiga as well due to lack of gun funds *sigh*

I'm actually considering selling my MAK-90... I have a bit of redundancy going on right now in the AK department and it may be time to thin the herd again.
    SGT - US Army 96-04

Wow...I wish I had the money! I wonder which would cost me more in the long run. The SGL or doing my own conversion.
    Last edited by Vapor; 12-24-2010 at 12:59 AM.

The conversion is definitely cheaper, that is if you don't count your own labor hours. Time is money they say. Sprouts comments in post #3 are accurate though, so it could be easily argued it's worth the extra money.

Honestly I think this price line is cheaper than when I converted my last Saiga (the 5.45); I think I cam in around $760.00. Of course, in order to mimic as closely as possible to an Arsenal one would have to do a conversion that includes replacing the mag release/trigger guard housing, new gas block and front sight base and hand guard retainer as well as furniture - with those considerations it really is kind of a bargain to have that all done for $739 - if thats what they want for these.
    SGT - US Army 96-04

BANNED

Gimmie dat Mak.
    Last edited by Sprout47; 12-24-2010 at 02:57 AM.

$850 and you can have her Scars
    SGT - US Army 96-04

I was planning on keeping my conversion pretty much stock in the front end. Just do the PG and bullet guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I was planning on keeping my conversion pretty much stock in the front end. Just do the PG and bullet guide.
    That will probably run about $90 in parts after shipping - good on parts count, 3 for fire control group, butt stock and pistol grip for the 5 parts.
    SGT - US Army 96-04

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout47 View Post
    That will probably run about $90 in parts after shipping - good on parts count, 3 for fire control group, butt stock and pistol grip for the 5 parts.

Yeah that's what I figured. I really want the bullet guide for sure. I plan on getting a small stock pile of pre ban steel mags. When you have done them Sprout do you leave the BHO in or leave that out?

I was thinking for the butt stock and PG I'd go with KVAR.

My dad has a drill press and I assume that'll help a good deal. I'll probably need to buy some drill bits and maybe a punch set.

BANNED

My conversion came in in the 800 to 900 range, but I certainly had some unnecessary extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Yeah that's what I figured. I really want the bullet guide for sure. I plan on getting a small stock pile of pre ban steel mags. When you have done them Sprout do you leave the BHO in or leave that out?

I was thinking for the butt stock and PG I'd go with KVAR.

My dad has a drill press and I assume that'll help a good deal. I'll probably need to buy some drill bits and maybe a punch set.
    The first Saiga I did I retained the bolt hold open feature and soon after realized my error - for one, you have to shave down the right side of the hammer in order to fit the bolt hold in there, additionally the bolt hold tab that extends through the bottom of the receiver needs to be shaved down as it is in the way of your trigger finger and makes for uncomfortable shooting.

So since that first one, I left it out - it saves a bunch of time and makes for a more accurate looking rifle.

Bolt hold open is a nice safety feature but it is totally unneeded and when it comes to AK's, weapon safety is an after thought lol.

I would recommend using the 2-stage KVAR/Arsenal fire control group - its nice.
    SGT - US Army 96-04

SGT - US Army 96-04

Thanks for the info, Sprout. I've been looking around for my first AK, and this one is definitely worthy of consideration. Tempted by some pre bans, but the prices are up there. Been thinking about this one:

AK 47 New York Legal HI-CAP Rifle with Military Stock, Cal. 7.62x39mm

Maybe it's junk, I don't know. I wouldn't hesitate on that SGL24-61 if it's worth the extra $280. I could always buy some pre ban mags, they seem pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Kaboomer View Post
    Thanks for the info, Sprout. I've been looking around for my first AK, and this one is definitely worthy of consideration. Tempted by some pre bans, but the prices are up there. Been thinking about this one:

AK 47 New York Legal HI-CAP Rifle with Military Stock, Cal. 7.62x39mm

Maybe it's junk, I don't know. I wouldn't hesitate on that SGL24-61 if it's worth the extra $280. I could always buy some pre ban mags, they seem pretty cheap.
    The AK in that link is a WASR which is imported/assembled by Century Arms, a company I can not say enough bad things about. I have had a WASR previously and the thing was lucky to shoot a 6" group at 100 yds. That may be fine to some but that isn't good enough for me.

I would definitely say the SGL is worth the extra $280.
    SGT - US Army 96-04

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout47 View Post
    I would definitely say the SGL is worth the extra $280.
    Thanks, I like to avoid buyer's remorse whenever I can.

Thanks for the link, I know a few people they may be interested in one of these including myself.
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    info@ftwny.com

"Safety Doesn't Happen by Accident"

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firea...9341927?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    Thanks for the link, I know a few people they may be interested in one of these including myself.
    No problem - I would highly recommend getting on their e-mailing list. They never spam mail and only send emails when they are offering either a new product or a big sale (like when they had SGL-21's for $499 or w/e it was a while back).
    SGT - US Army 96-04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast