Any M1A SOCOM owners on here?
Close

Private

Default Any M1A SOCOM owners on here?

Hello all,

I know this has probably been beaten to death regarding NY compliant M1As but I am not finding much information regarding SOCOMs.

The issue that I am seeing is the legality of the SEIs NY Compliant gas blocks for the SOCOM models: M14 / M1A Key Elements : Smith Enterprise, Inc.

These are gas blocks, as many of you already know, that have the threads removed from the end so it cannot accept any brakes, FHs or suppressors.

If you remove this gas block, there are threads on the barrel but those threads are not meant to accept the banned devices. Granted you are some how able to thread on a device, it will render the gun inoperable (well a bolt action I guess) since the gas system is not operable.

I have been searching high and low through all these different forums but it seems to be 50/50 on this. Some say that it doesn't matter what gas block is used because the barrel is still threaded and there for illegal.

Are there any SOCOM owners out there with this gas block? If so, does it have to be pinned or welded to the gas system?

I know DD ranch, Seneca Gun Sport, Camp Site and even my local LGS all seem to sell these guns with the SEI gas block on them but doesn't say if they are welded on or not.

Thanks for any input.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Sergeant

There's also the option of doing the fixed mag route with it. Unlike an AR, top loading an M1A is an easy thing to do. A local gun store will make it fixed mag compliant without hassle.

Private

hey Hoodfu,

yeah the fixed mag option is a good way to make it compliant but the ones that I have seen have the SEI gas block and has detachable mags. Just wondering if the gas block is good enough or if it has to be welded like the dummy suppressors some people put on their threaded barrels.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

Private

Welp, I got my answer from my FFL who is doing the transfer for me. Won't transfer it until it is pinned.

Sergeant

And this is kind of the problem with this type of thing. If they're receiving the non-compliant in as new, they'd have to do that work and possibly have to pay an excise tax for manufacturing etc. Doing the the fixed magazine lever swap out can be done in a couple minutes without any such issues.

Private

I don't mind paying for the pinning. The rifle already has the SEI muzzle cap on it that the previous owner put on and it was just not pinned.

I know that I can cut the mag release off or replace it with the kit from KGB tactical but since it already has the cap on it I decided to pin it in.

It sucks because that won't allow me to take apart the gas system if there are any issues with it but hoping for the best that I don't have to mill off the pin if that happens.

Sergeant

Not being able to clean the gas piston system would be a show stopper for me. Even AK's need to be cleaned eventually and the same goes for M1A's.

Private

yeah that part does suck. If I do have to do cleaning due to malfunctions, I will mill it off and just go the fixed mag route then.