Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nortatoga

Thread: Help me identify this SKS?

Default Help me identify this SKS?

So today I picked up an SKS from one of my local LGS. I'm not too knowledgeable about them, admittedly, but upon research once I got home, this rifle seems to be part of the "unknown." All research I've done in the past few hours shows that all SKS' made have a serial number along with a manufacturer, or a factory they were made in (signified by a shape and a number usually), etc.. This rifle only has a five-digit serial number. The LGS said it was a Norinco, but everything I've found has shown that is not possible. As I've said the ONLY markings on the rifle are the 5-digit serial numbers in the places listed below.
    Here's what I know about the rifle I now own:
    -Serial number is low. It's five numbers only, with the first two being zeros, so it is one of the first thousand.
    -Serial number is located on the left side of the stock, perpendicular to the barrel. It is also on the back of the receiver, on the left side towards the rear of the receiver, on the top of the bolt, on the bottom of the magazine (attached, not a detachable type), and on the bottom of the trigger guard.
    -The bayonet is the spiked type, not a blade, and it is a quick release type
    -Rear sight release is of the early type, as seen below:

-Rear sight leaf has the "3" at the bottom, as seen below:

-Trigger group is milled, indicating an early-mid production.
    -Wood stock has the sling swivel on the bottom, and then the front part of the sling mounts at the end where the gas tube and barrel meet.

Any thoughts or ideas?

To those who respond, if you have any links to info you find that specifically shows instances where guns like this have been identified, that'd be appreciated.
    Suppose the Second amendment said A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed. Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? - Robert Levy, Georgetown University Professor

do you have a pic of the front end? like front sight, gas tube? an overall pic of the rifle and any other stampings would be helpfull

Here's some pics of it:

Literally NO other stampings or markings on the entire rifle. Very weird.
    Suppose the Second amendment said A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed. Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? - Robert Levy, Georgetown University Professor

looks to be chinese, either norinco, polytech, or pro-chine, judging by the entirely closed front sight, spike bayo, and the fit and finish. there might be some other stampings on it under the stock or somewhere. im not an expert but i do know a few things about the sks's i am fairly confident that its chinese. maybe the lack of markings signifies that its a very early gun? it is in beautiful shape though i would hold onto it for sure

very nice sks

So.. here's my problem with identifying this gun.

Firstly, an SKS with no markings other than serial is not hugely uncommon among chinese imports. Everything about this rifle makes me think it is a relatively common Chinese commercial "Made for USA" gun. Besides just the fact that these markings ( no chinese ideographs and no arsenal cartouches ) are somewhat typical on many of them, it of course has the tells already mentioned; as well as the 'orangey' wood commonly associated with a chinese SKS. That would all be well and good, but from what I've read all of the commercial exports had serials with the first two digits starting between 89 to 94. So, if that information is not correct then it's a simple answer. If that information IS correct , then.. I dunno.

found something interesting! Yooper John's Gun Information go there and click on the sks section. tons of great information, you should be able to learn alot about your rifle from here

Found something:

Under the barrel w/ the bayonet extended I found markings. They read: CAI ST.A.VT. Underneath that it says "SKS 7.62 CHINA"

EDIT: It stands for Century Arms International St. Albany Vermont (the importer)
    Last edited by Cossey; 11-02-2011 at 12:11 AM.

even before the last post, I thought it was Chinese. Looks like a Norinco.

Nice SKS brother!!
    Soldat, Kamerad, fa Tritt Kamerad,
    Tritt unter die Gewehre!

Colonel

Sorry for getting off topic ( That is a good looking SKS) but Vergeltung lived in Smithtown most of my life moved upstate in 99 Saratoga County sure don't miss the TAXES or TRAFIC (LIE) The Highschool kids still painting Whisper's pirvate's
    Vergeltung likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nortatoga View Post
    Sorry for getting off topic ( That is a good looking SKS) but Vergeltung lived in Smithtown most of my life moved upstate in 99 Saratoga County sure don't miss the TAXES or TRAFIC (LIE) The Highschool kids still painting Whisper's pirvate's
    dude, I hate it here. I'm a hostage now. wife lost her job. I am the only salary here. we're in trouble. it's BAD.
    Soldat, Kamerad, fa Tritt Kamerad,
    Tritt unter die Gewehre!