Close

Default flash hider for 180 series mini 14

so... went to the range and shot my 180 series mini for the first time today, came to realize i should wear sunglasses if i want quick follow up shots.

no joke it throws out a 3.5 foot long fireball when it goes boom lol.

any of you have any experience putting flash hider/supressor on a mini?
    god didnt make all men equal, mr colt did

Major

i just got a 184 series with standard wood stock and no flash hider. i'd be interested in finding out about this, as well as cool stock options since it's pre-ban.

Colonel

Just put the finishing touch on my 6.8SPC Mini 14 Houg Stock Mo-Rod stablizer Mo-Reaper Muzzle brake ! Been working alot of overtime it's what pays for all this, Hope to get to the range soon will report back. Want to use this rifle for Coyotes !! Happy Holidays!! Jamie
    Last edited by nortatoga; 12-17-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Colonel

Just got to the range for a few minutes before Christmas dinner, Shoot a quick 5rds with my Mini 14 6.8SPC on the 50yrd range just about no recoil at a with the Mo-reaper muzzle brake I'm very happy how it looks and works. As far as muzzle Flash I'll have to shot it in the dark. 5 shot group was 1.5 at 50yrds, 1 sigther 4 quick shoots (with in club rules) Merry Christmas Jamie

Major

yesterday i installed my true shot stabilizer, flash hider, and hooded front sight on my 184-series mini-14. kit consisting of all three items and hardware was only $104 shipped with their holiday sale. great bargain if ya ask me. the project wasn't too difficult with the right tools and techniques. removing the front sight was the hardest part. knocked roll pin through, tapped rear of site with brass punch and hammer. it wasn't budging so i sprayed a little wd-40 in there. wound up having to hold it over the stove a few times (not for too long) and that eventually did the trick. i had a friend help me by holding the rifle vertically so i could swing directly downward while tapping the front sight off. i'd recommend this as well. when she started to move a bit it only took another two hits to knock her off completely. let it cool and used some bluing compound to take care of the portion of steel "in the white" on the barrel where the factory sight had been.

the other items were installed fairly easily with the set screws and loctite provided. it was not hard at all and there are also directions with photos online to help out if need be. the flash suppressor that came with the true shot kit is your typical a2 style pretty much. no openings on the bottom of it, presumably to prevent dust from being kicked up while shooting from the prone position. it was fastened to the barrel with three set screws. very simple, only required some small allen wrenches and applying loctite to the screws. hardest part here was lining it up so it was perfectly even. again, not rocket science. i used the newly installed front sight post as a reference point so hopefully that was fairly straight as well. the whole endeavor made me a few minutes late for the christmas eve party i was attending, but i wanted to be able to set it aside to let the loctite cure overnight so i'd have a present to admire on christmas day.

also, when shopping around for a flash hider or muzzle brake i suggest researching whether the original hole for the roll pin can be used or if a new one has to be drilled in the barrel. this was a determining factor in my selection since i try to avoid using power tools other than a dremel on my firearms and drilling a hole in a barrel is quite permanent and shouldn't be butchered. to each his own, though. let me know if you have any questions, i'll try to answer them as best i can.

Colonel

Just checked out the true shot stabilizer that you put on your mini $104.00 shipped included front sight/brake? The Mo-reaper was that much alone! Did have to run a drill bite through to get the roll pin in but that wasn't a big deal/ holes on brake were just a tad low Let us know how it works out at the the range for you , enjoy mini's sure are fun to shoot!

Major

yup, the whole shebang (stabilizer, sight, flash hider, hardware) was that price during the sale and it arrived in two days. would've been nice if they included the two allen wrenches for the hell of it, but i can't complain much. i kind of wish i'd done two things: shot my new mini prior to any modification and taken photos of my project in various stages. i won't have anything to compare it to in terms of accuracy now that the rod's installed, but to be honest i didn't want to bring it out and be disappointed with my initial range trip since i've heard they get pretty loose after heating up.

my next alterations will be some type of folding stock (i want an original ruger factory side-folder that's half wood and half metal to retain the classic look somewhat) and an aftermarket handguard with scope mount. i hear the ones that bolt to the side of the receiver tend to come loose and require removal of the rear site so i'm going to go with an amega, ultimak, or aimtech and put some kind of fast acquisition optic on it, possibly a flip-over magnifier if the eye relief allows for it. i have a ruger scout rifle .308 bolt action with a forward mounted burris scout scope and am comfortable with that type of configuration. right now i'm leaning towards the amega since the iron sights can be used if quick-mount optic is removed and there are also pre-drilled holes for picatinny tail sections to be installed on the side of the handguard for other accessories if desired. it also helps stiffen up the barrel a bit from what i've been reading. customizing a gun is just as much fun as shooting it for me.

I'll have to check out that kit tac, sounds like a good set up. Seems reasonably priced too.
    god didnt make all men equal, mr colt did

Major

i'm resurrecting this zombie thread for the sake of firearms science. put my mini project aside for quite awhile since buying new guns tends to sate my ADD more efficiently than working on ones i already have, but decided it's time to go back to the this investment. does anyone have any experience with the ultimak or amega ranges scout scope mounts, preferably in the mini-14 flavor? i know aimtech makes one as well, but it's monstrous due to the marginally useful "see-through" portion underneath that allows the use of irons. i see this as pointless since optics could be easily removed with quick-detach options that are available, and looking through a 1/2" box to try to draw a bead does not lend itself to the most unobstructed sight picture. not worth the added bulk and weight so i'm ruling that one out. so far my research seems to lead toward the amega since reviewers say it doesn't heat up as quickly as the ultimak and also prefer the fact that the entire top portion has rail section for maximum mounting options. there are also spots on the side to attach more rail sections if you plan on mall ninja-ing about in your locale of choice. that being said, the ultimak is a bit lower and therefore better for bore axis purposes, but how accurate does one expect a mini to be anyway? their prices are basically comparable so that's not an issue, especially since i'm about to drop serious dough via gunbroker on a factory folding stock soon (gun was made in '84, may as well reap the benefits of A-teaming it out). any input on either product would be greatly appreciated.

short version: ultimak vs. amega ranges scope mounts-- discuss!
    Last edited by Tactical Failure; 11-24-2012 at 02:50 AM.