Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rhinehart

Thread: Any thoughts on Ruger American?

Private

Default Any thoughts on Ruger American?

30.06 or .308 ?

Looking at picking one up. Interested in getting some feedback

308 or 30-06 you will be able to get surplus ammo. 308 should be cheaper, and less punishing recoil. 30-06 has a longer action than the 308.

All I know is 30-06 is EVERYWHERE around me. I haven't seen one store with 308.

As for the rifle itself, my girlfriend was looking at one, and the compact TC venture. Went with the venture. The ruger is a little lighter. I've heard good things, but still like the TC more. What are you using it for?

Private

Looking for something to hunt with / some longer range target shooting.

I have seen both 30-06 and .308 at walmart fairly recently. Looks like .308 is generally cheaper

I've always seen 308 cheaper as well. Like I said, personally, I don't see any 308 anymore, just 3006. I think 308 would be better for target/precision for the fact that its so common, and people know a lot about it.

Private

Any other models you guys would reccomend to look at ?

Quote Originally Posted by JB22 View Post
    Any other models you guys would reccomend to look at ?
    243 is not as cheap as 308 but it has less recoil and is still hood for deer.

Corporal

Every gun manufacturer makes an entry level gun. However, many people still buy their main line and higher level guns. Don't be fooled, you are not buying a normal make gun with a basic trigger and cheap stock. Every part of that gun is likely different. A few thing to consider The barrel is pressed in these types of guns and not threaded. Although rare, the barrels can creep forward from their pressed in spots in the reciever. If you wear out a barrel, yout done with that gun, if it doesn't shoot as good as you like it to, you can not replace the barrel.The tooling in making the gun is typically removed from their better gun line when it is soemwhat worn out, and then used a bit on their cheaper line, such as a chamber reamer.Want to put better parts on the gun, there is less parts available for these entry level guns.There is a good reason a quality bolt action cost a decent bit of money. Another thing is resale value. Especially when you can't sell guns privately. A used entry level gun will be hard to sell when new entry level guns are sold pretty cheap. If you shoot a box or two of ammo every year and don't shoot pasty 200 yards, you'd probably never complain about those guns. IF you want ot make nice 500 yard hits on paper and keep that chamber fed with reloads every weekend, you want to get a better gun.The scoped packages are getting better, expcially savages line with nikon scopes. I would buy a good set of rings ans bases for the package and ditch the soft aluminum rings and base. Burris or leupold make those 1/4 turn twist in dovetail rings and bases for about $60. I have seen tons of folks at public ranges fight to make those cheap scope packages shoot reliably. I shoot at a club range and clean out the 55 gallon drums of trash. PRetty much every time I clean out the drum, there is a cheap scope in there someone got too fustrated with.I would much rather buy a used remington 700, ruger m77, or savage 110 or higher than one of those new cheapie bolt guns. I would also get a good ring and base for it and atleast a nikon prostaff or burris fullfield II.It is much better to have a few good guns, than a bunch of junky ones.
    Last edited by BigBoreBLR; 04-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.