Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dieter122
  • 1 Post By WarrenDee

Thread: lee enfield 303 British.

Default lee enfield 303 British.

IMG959182.jpg

Guy wants to trade this for my Remington 870. Good trade? These any good? Probably use it for deer
    Unrestricted NY LTC permit. PA LTC.

NRA member SCOPE member

I hunt with an Enfield with a Fajen sport stock....I love that rifle....works like a charm, shoots great with very reasonable recoil, and will put a deer in a pile. Lot of fun to use. The only thing I can't speak to is the trade, depends how much you have in the 870. Enfields (minus the synthetic stock) are available but prices vary and can be pricey

I do not have much in the shotgun. What do u think the rifle is worth roughly?

NRA member SCOPE member

Unknown how to factor scope in without info. Mount also.

gun as it sits, sporterized....

$175-200. So that plus value of scope plus mount.

Enfields are excellent rifles. Wish they still made this design. Well built and slick

How hard is it to find ammo for this? Practice and hunting ammo

NRA member SCOPE member

Quote Originally Posted by punishercustomz View Post
    ammo is not too hard to find, but expensive, $1.00-1.25 a round. sporterized enfields do not have much value in the milsurp market but if what you want is a hunting rifle that will put down anything in North America out to five hundred yards, It's a good deal. OTOH, i don't know what 870's are going for these days.
    "We Are Not Descended From Fearful Men"

BTW....It has one of the smoothest bolt actions ever made
    Dieter122 likes this.
    "We Are Not Descended From Fearful Men"

Thanks

NRA member SCOPE member

This will be my first year hunting will probably use a 12 gauge as my county doesn't allow rifle but want the option in case I hunt another county

NRA member SCOPE member

I have an untouched 1942 Lithgow (Aussie) Enfield...Bolt cycles smooth, fast and it's very accurate. But as mentioned, ammo is a bit pricey.
    I always knew you had to be willing to die to even do this job. But I don't want to push my chips forward and go out and meet somethin' I don't understand. A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He'd have to say, "OK. I'll be part of this world." -Sheriff Ed Tom Bell

What condition is the barrel in ????????
    "Leave the gun Take the cannoli"

The Lee Enfield Rifle was very popular and abundant back in the late 60s through the 70's and 80's. It was the Mosin Nagant of that time period and people sporterized them for hunting. They are not to often seen for sale in local firearm shops or on forums these days. When they do show up for sale they usually don't stay for sale long. I have seen sporterized Lee Enfield rifles ranging from 200 to 500 dollars around the internet and local firearm shops. The Lee Enfield is dried up as a mass supply of surplus rifles and now is a wanted rifle by collectors and hunters alike. Surplus ammunition was abundant too back then, but now its dried up except for a few sports around the world and private supply. You can still get modern ammunition but will be a bit costly. Reloading would be the way to go if you really wanted. The Lee Enfiled was the better rifle in WWII until the M1 Garand hit the scene. Very smooth and quick bolt action that cocked on closing with a ten round magazine, which was very nice. Though it will not compete with match grade competition rifles, its pretty accurate for a hunting rifle - ...cough...a true "assault rifle" : )
    Last edited by Mustang; 08-21-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added a word

Corporal

I have an Enfield and was thinking of putting a scope on it for hunting. Any suggestions for type of scope and how much to mount?

JVG

enfields are great rifles. .303 is limited and moderate price wise. most Enfields value in at around $200-$325 depending on condition while some rare models can be in the $350+ ranges
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

Thanks for all the info guys I think I'm going to do it I have no use for the 870 as I have an abundance of shotguns and never owned a bolt action rifle.

NRA member SCOPE member

Here is some good PPU ammo.....$14.50 a box and no tax....

As for the Enfield rifles themselves, as others have mentioned the actions are smooth as butter.....Very accurate, and the pricing above is fairly accurate.....You won't regret the trade...
    20 rd box- 303 British 180 grain Soft Point Prvi Partizan Ammunition - PP39 | SGAmmo.com

"There's a time to live,a time to die,a time to meet your maker...But isn't it strange as soon as your born,your dying" Bruce Dickinson ~IM~

I bought one once. The display one looked great, smooth action - when I got the one they gave me ("can't sell that one - display model") home, the barrel and breech looked like the black hole of Calcutta. What a mess. I have never since bought a gun without checking on it v-e-r-y carefully. In my defense - I wuz young and stoopid then. I'm a lot older now.
    "...man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." -R.Reagan

Deo Vindice.

Corporal

You can find 308 win converted Enfields used...I had one and gave it to a friend who just hadda have it...
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    ---- Ronald Reagan

Corporal

Or...get the one you pick up converted...just find a good smith..
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    ---- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Or...get the one you pick up converted...just find a good smith..
    You cant just convert the .303 enfields, I dont think the steel can handle the pressures, the .308 Enfields they are referring to are Ishapores, made in india with stronger steel in the mid to late 60s - I have 2 .303 Enfields and a .308 Ishapore myself
    Rifle Wants: CETME, AR15, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

Quote Originally Posted by THE RAVEN View Post
    Here is some good PPU ammo.....$14.50 a box and no tax....

As for the Enfield rifles themselves, as others have mentioned the actions are smooth as butter.....Very accurate, and the pricing above is fairly accurate.....You won't regret the trade...
    20 rd box- 303 British 180 grain Soft Point Prvi Partizan Ammunition - PP39 | SGAmmo.com
    Thanks brother! Bought 4 boxes

NRA member SCOPE member

Thanks brother! Bought 4 boxes
    No problem buddy,glad you got some...! Happy shooting.....

"There's a time to live,a time to die,a time to meet your maker...But isn't it strange as soon as your born,your dying" Bruce Dickinson ~IM~

I had one for a few years, traded it for a Stevens .243 for my son to hunt with, wish I still had it now.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    You can find 308 win converted Enfields used...I had one and gave it to a friend who just hadda have it...
    you could convert it to 7.62x54R but not 308

Quote Originally Posted by DystruktoBoi1 View Post
    You cant just convert the .303 enfields, I dont think the steel can handle the pressures, the .308 Enfields they are referring to are Ishapores, made in india with stronger steel in the mid to late 60s - I have 2 .303 Enfields and a .308 Ishapore myself
    The Ishys were made in 308 - decent rifles, but the 303 Enfields are in no way inferior or weaker. In fact they have one of the strongest actions available anywhere even today.

A sporterized enfield is a $200 gun. An all original is worth at least $350 and quickly goes to $500+ if the numbers match.
    Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:3-7