Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: .22 Range Gun Options

Default .22 Range Gun Options

I already have had three .22s for years, a pre-war Winchester Model 61 pump, a Remington Nylon 66 (in the rare Seneca Green) and a rusty old single shot that lived most of it's life behind the seat of multible pickup trucks I've owned over the years. The first two are just too old and valuable now to beat at the range and the third just won't cut it.

So I see three options open to me:
    1. Buy a new "Tactical" type .22 like the S&W M&P15-22. A good training option since I also own a couple of AR's in .223.
    2. Try to find a Ruger 10/22 "Target" model either new or used.
    3. Buy a beatup used 10/22 and replace the stock and barrel and eventually the trigger group.

Budget is $5-600.00

Any advice or ideas?
    Last edited by PY-Tactical; 02-04-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: .

Colonel

You can't go wrong with a 10/22 I've got 3 of them frist one was the 22'' barreled model Walmart had a couple years ago, Then I got one at the Saratoga Gun Show that was already customized, Then a pre-ban last Jan to do my own build. You could also find just an action and started from there a friend did that going with the Nordic Components real SWEET looking rifle! Also check out rimfire central forum real big on 10/22's Hope this helps Jamie

love my Savage MK 2 laminate stock heavy barrel and accu trigger it is a bolt gun though if you are looking for a semi. Have the same in a .17 HMR they are great guns.

General

Another vote for Savage MKII. I love it. I'm actually friends with one of the firearms engineers over there.

Savage Mark II if you like bolt guns, or you can't beat the 10/22's for a semi.

have you seen this one up for sale here http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/fir...-ii-22-lr.html If I didn't have my fill of .22's I would jump on it

actually just looked at the pic of it looks like it doesn't have the accu trigger think I would pass because of that.
    Last edited by gizmo; 02-04-2012 at 04:36 PM.

LMS

Get a CZ 453 or 455. They are fantastic.

LMS

I'll step out and recommend the M&P 15-22. Just shot mine again today...1000's of rounds through it without a hiccup. Eats the Wal-Mart Federal Value Pak 550 like a champ. I use mine as a warm-up before doing drills with my AR's and there's nothing better in that role. My sole complaint is the limitation to 10 rd mags due to NY's AWB, but there is nothing about the rifle itself that I have found fault with.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    Get a CZ 453 or 455. They are fantastic.

LMS
    I concur!

I looked at the CZ, and if I was going for a rimfire to hunt with it's the way to go. But for a "range toy" I think the 10/22 will be the right choice. Went to the range yesterday afternoon with my AR and took along the Nylon66 .22. Had a lot of fun. Shooting the AR cost around fifty bucks in ammo. Same number of rounds for the .22 cost a couple of bucks at most. No brainer for the .22. Now whether to find a 10/22 target model or build up one myself.

Yep on the Savage MKII.
    MO

NY/FL/UT CCW

Member: LaSalle S.C., NRA

Spend the money on the Savage. The Accutrigger is great and you can modify it more if you like.

James

Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar

I have a "preban" 10/22 that I can legally add things to, but I won't, and it's accurate for what it is. If you really want to have fun, I'll add to the Savage MKII supporters. I don't even own one but I have shot them and they are alittle more accurate further out than the typical semi's tend to be. I like the semi action of the 10/22 but I like the accuracy of the bolt action more. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the guns that have been mentioned including the S&W. I also personally prefer older guns like my Mossberg 144LSB or Stevens and Westernfield single shots or my Mossberg M46(b) as well as many others I have. For what you spend on the older guns, you'd have to spend double or even triple to get the same quality in a "newer" gun but that's just my opinion. Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll have a ton of cheap fun with it. I thoroughly enjoy shooting my .22's.

Tim

I'm pretty much going to agree. The savage MKII for a bolt action (love mine). And the 10/22 for a super customizable semi-auto.
    http://www.facebook.com/nyfirearms

NRA member, SCOPE NY member, NYSRPA member

Captain

Another vote for the Savage w/accutrigger.

Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmyoungjr View Post
    I'm pretty much going to agree. The savage MKII for a bolt action (love mine). And the 10/22 for a super customizable semi-auto.
    As one gun shop I visit often ran into, any 10/22 made after 1994 cannot be modified. He took one in that had a tactical stock on it .... he was told by a local sheriff that the gun was illegal. Upon bringing it to Albany, it was deemed illegal. I said no way a tactical stock that wasn't adjustable, was illegal. He informed me different and showed me the paperwork stating the gun must be returned to original configuration (stock) and then he must bring it back and they will sign off that the gun now meets NYS rules and reg's and he can then sell it. Has anyone else run into this? I know the sky's the limit with my 10/22 as it was made in 1980. What about those made after '94?? (not to hi jack a thread but is this for real?)

If you like bolt the Savage is very accurate. Dicks sells them for almost the price of a scope alone.
    For a carbine the 10/22 is hard to beat. You can put an affordable stock and have the option of preban magazines.
    meketrefe and Chicken Shoot like this.

My range plinkers are a Ruger 10/22 with a red dot and a Walther P22
    Chicken Shoot likes this.

Captain

10/22 for sure

I love my Savage 93 Btvs 22 WMR with accutrigger and bull barrel. You can get them for under $400. The only fault I have with it is I can't get magazines with more than 5 rounds.
    savageBTVS.jpg
    Last edited by phatbob02; 02-24-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typo

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by JW1069 View Post
    I'll step out and recommend the M&P 15-22. Just shot mine again today...1000's of rounds through it without a hiccup. Eats the Wal-Mart Federal Value Pak 550 like a champ. I use mine as a warm-up before doing drills with my AR's and there's nothing better in that role. My sole complaint is the limitation to 10 rd mags due to NY's AWB, but there is nothing about the rifle itself that I have found fault with.
    The trigger sucks...so I replaced mine with a Rock River National match that I had sitting around...now it is much better...my 15-22 is also a JOY to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner57 View Post
    I concur!
    I own around a dozen CZ's I also concur.
    Any effort to rationalize the use of this revolver in a serious combative scenario is evidence of intellectual bankruptcy.
    -kmussack

Corporal

Another vote for 10/22. There are so many options out there for customizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrov View Post
    I own around a dozen CZ's I also concur.
    You sir, have a problem! LOL

Which models do you collect?

Corporal

10-22 is more fun then a barrle of monkeys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast