Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chicken Shoot
  • 1 Post By Retired MSG
  • 1 Post By urjustamemory
  • 1 Post By urjustamemory

Thread: Marlin .22 Pump Model #47 information

Default Marlin .22 Pump Model #47 information

I have a Marlin 47 in great condition, lots of fun to shoot and due to what I've found through internet I've realized this is an unusual weapon. It was only made in 1929-30, and it seems no one is sure how many were produced (serial #'s seem to run betwen 1500 and 5500, but it's uncertain if they numbered them all sequentially). They were NOT sold, lol; you had to buy 4 -$100 shares of Marlin (remember this is during stock market crash and depression) and then they'd give you one. It also has a wild finish, blued with a cyanide wash that gives weapon a tiger striped look. (will try to post pics soon). It was given to me as a gift from a family member who didn't know too much about it. The Model 47 seems to be reasonably close if not identical to Model 20.
    My questions are:
    Does anyone have a breakdown/cleaning guide or instructions, or can give me a clue? I'm reluctant to pull this apart without knowing what goes where with hopefully a diagram. I am reasonably familiar with cleaning and breakdown (after 22 years in Army) but would prefer to have a guide before I pull it apart.
    Also, I just ordered some standard velocity ammo as I was running some cheap Blazer .22 through it, and apparently that's a bad thing. Anyone know the reasons why this is the way to proceed?
    Thanks for any info anyone can provide

Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar

47 (*)

That will give you a schematic for it. As for disassembly .... if you remove that large screw on the lower right of the receiver, I do know it will come apart in a hurry which may be a bad thing. I have only seen one in person. That's a nice gun you got!! Congrats on owning it and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Chicken Shoot; 08-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    KBurdo likes this.
    http://www.chickenonaraft.com/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Great gun, post some pics. I have a model 62a, and the pump .22s are a blast to shoot. Kind of scarey pulling it a part to clean. Finding replacement parts is a b!tch it you mess up.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
    --George Patton-

Unless there is something wrong with it I would be hesitant about tearing it down.....Something goes wrong and good luck getting a part for it,not to mention buggering up the old screw heads...If it were me ? I would leave the old girl alone....

"There's a time to live,a time to die,a time to meet your maker...But isn't it strange as soon as your born,your dying" Bruce Dickinson ~IM~

Thanks Chicken Shoot...and diagrams like that are one of the reasons I posted this thread - I feel like once I pull that screw I'm gonna end up with a pile of parts looking like that. Thanks for the welcome too, this is a great site, I stumbled into it hous ago and have been poking around since.
    Chicken Shoot likes this.

Thansk KBurdo and Raven. My issue is there is no easy way to clean/lube the action - I've run bore brush and patches down barrel but can only do that into the action...not out the muzzle. I'm hesitant until I learn more because I don't want to fubar this one up.

They weren't meant to and don't need to be taken apart to clean.....They are that way by design.....Here is a trick for cleaning the bore from the chamber out though....Take a piece of heavy fishing line,run it chamber first out the end and using a standard line to hook knot,secure it to the patch or brush......Works every time...

"There's a time to live,a time to die,a time to meet your maker...But isn't it strange as soon as your born,your dying" Bruce Dickinson ~IM~

Nice! Thanks!

Anytime bud...! BTW welcome to the forum....!

Sergeant

I have a Model 47. Bought it from a shop, never thinking to test it there... bought it, took it home, put a round in it, racked it, squeezed the trigger an she went click.... went back to the shop and told them about the problem and was told "You must of had it apart, thats the only reason its missing a firing pin" My responce "How do you know its missing a firing pin..."

So now its a $200 paper weight that cant get parts for it.. needs a whole firing pin assembly. Last I looked gunpartscorp. didnt have most of the parts for it
    Last edited by urjustamemory; 08-17-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    Don't you just love people that beg you to leave feedback, but yet they never repay the favor and leave you any.

Sergeant

They really are simple to take apart, and clean,main tan, the schematics make it look like a night mare. I took mine apart in just about 35 seconds lol. If you'd like better photos just let me know, and I will take them with an actual camera.

Don't you just love people that beg you to leave feedback, but yet they never repay the favor and leave you any.

if you plan on taking it down i would first soak it for a while with some hoppee's. i would get it pretty wet and work the action. also take a q-tip and soak the take down screw. after soaking for a couple of days and working the action i would clean that out with gun scrubber. be careful as not to soak the buttstock while doing this. on takedowns you typically pry the 2 pieces of the action apart, make sure you are going in the right direction with your pressure. also be careful with pressure on the buttstock as these older guns are a little frail in the wrist area. i gently use a rubber mallet to help break the receiver apart. from the pics above it looks like the internals will stay in place. just go slow, you'll get it.
    would have been nice to get the stock certificates with the gun as well, ha.

Sergeant

Stock certificates would be nice addition to it I agree. Would make a couple hundred dollar gun, into easily thousand dollar maybe more, gun

Quote Originally Posted by urjustamemory View Post
    They really are simple to take apart, and clean,main tan, the schematics make it look like a night mare. I took mine apart in just about 35 seconds lol. If you'd like better photos just let me know, and I will take them with an actual camera.

Nice pics and great post .... only one problem I can see and that is, this doesn't look anything like the mod 47 I had. LOL The take down screw was different and there were more parts the cam out of mine. I agree with you the schematic makes it look worse than it is though. Was there more than one variation of the receiver on these do you know?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    Nice pics and great post .... only one problem I can see and that is, this doesn't look anything like the mod 47 I had. LOL The take down screw was different and there were more parts the cam out of mine. I agree with you the schematic makes it look worse than it is though. Was there more than one variation of the receiver on these do you know?
    I thought I said in one of my posts, but I guess I didnt... mine was a former beat to heck dont care about it, truck gun. Yes the take down screw, isnt original and its missing parts that I found about AFTER I bought it. It's also missing one of the fore end screws, an the other of course isn't original lol. Some day I hope to restore it.

That's a gun worth restoring to us that mainly stay in the rimfire world.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ