Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Value of Marlin/Glenfield with squirrel on the stock??

  1. #1
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    7,431

    Default Value of Marlin/Glenfield with squirrel on the stock??

    I recently put a K31 on layaway and I'm thinking of selling a Marlin/Glenfield .22LR which has the squirrel on the stock to come up with some $$ to put towards that K31. It has an 18rd tubular magazine which is exempt from the UNSAFE Act. What is something like this worth?? It's in Excellent Condition.
    http://www.chickenonaraft.com/

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  2. #2
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    170

    Default

    That's a great gun, I had one for years. In my opinion probably 150- 200&. I got 125.00 for mine 3 years ago, mint

  3. #3
    Major HighlandLofts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arlington WA.
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    Can you post a picture?
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

  4. #4
    Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chemung Co.
    Posts
    969

    Default

    I'll give ya $125 :-D

  5. #5
    Major RandallOfLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    I have a model 75C. Yours is probably a Model 60. It's a Marlin 60 through and through. So I would value it at a used Marlin 60 price.
    Last edited by RandallOfLegend; 09-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.

  6. #6
    Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chemung Co.
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RandallOfLegend View Post
    I have a model 75C. Yours is probably a Model 60. It's a Marlin 60 though and though. So I would value it at a used Marlin 60 price.
    I had a 75, sold it to a buddy, it has an issue feeding, but I still wish I had kept it, those things are small and light!

  7. #7
    Major RandallOfLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leftyz View Post
    I had a 75, sold it to a buddy, it has an issue feeding, but I still wish I had kept it, those things are small and light!
    The Marlin 60 family has a lot of feeding issues, and are really picky with ammo. Most of the time a new feed ramp fixes the problems. I think the tube spring is another feeding failure point.
    Chicken Shoot likes this.

  8. #8
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    7,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leftyz View Post
    I had a 75, sold it to a buddy, it has an issue feeding, but I still wish I had kept it, those things are small and light!
    Your model 75C probably had more of an issue with ammo. They generally do not like hollow point bullets as they are flat nosed and longer than round nosed bullets.
    http://www.chickenonaraft.com/

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  9. #9
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    7,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HighlandLofts View Post
    Can you post a picture?

    I'll take some pics tomorrow. If it's not worth more than a new Marlin 60 (seeing as how it holds 20rds total when you chamber one) then I'll just keep it alongside the other 18rd Marlin 60's I have.
    http://www.chickenonaraft.com/

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  10. #10
    Major HighlandLofts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arlington WA.
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    You can never have enough 22 rimfire rifles, for what it will bring in I'd keep it.
    atTheWheels likes this.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

  11. #11
    Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chemung Co.
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    Your model 75C probably had more of an issue with ammo. They generally do not like hollow point bullets as they are flat nosed and longer than round nosed bullets.
    Nah, it actually had a problem extracting, rather than feeding, It just needed the whole new feed ramp assembly, which is easy to do on these.... I do still have one Marlin 60, its a 60SS I got from my wife's grandfather, made in the 90's. It's worth more sentimentally than monetarily.
    Chicken Shoot likes this.

  12. #12
    Major RandallOfLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leftyz View Post
    Nah, it actually had a problem extracting, rather than feeding, It just needed the whole new feed ramp assembly, which is easy to do on these.... I do still have one Marlin 60, its a 60SS I got from my wife's grandfather, made in the 90's. It's worth more sentimentally than monetarily.
    My 75C needed some work. It was my Dads, made in 1973. I took it apart when I was 18, with the hammer cocked. Long story and a broken e-ring clip later I had a bunch of action parts. Put it in a box, and opened it up 10 years later and rebuilt it. A bunch of parts were missing. Thankfully model 60 parts fit.

  13. #13
    Captain Kentuckyrifleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North Chili, NY
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    Your model 75C probably had more of an issue with ammo. They generally do not like hollow point bullets as they are flat nosed and longer than round nosed bullets.
    My 60 likes the cheap remington gold stuff. I have only had one misfire, and that was a spent casing that wasn't ejected fast enough and got caught in the bolt. I recently bought a 550 value brick of Federal copper plated and the rifle has problems with it. There doesn't seem to be enough blowback to activate the bolt and chamber the next round, I have to do it manually. I have also tried cci blazer 40 grain round nose with success.
    The Blazers and Remingtons both have higher muzzle energies than the Federal (135 and 150 vs 125 ft lbs respectively). I have some remington yellow jackets rated for 165 ft lbs. Next time I go shooting Ill have to try these to see if they cycle correctly. If they do it is compelling evidence that the bolt of the Marlin 60 requires a minimum energy in order to operate properly.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

  14. #14
    Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chemung Co.
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckyrifleman View Post
    My 60 likes the cheap remington gold stuff. I have only had one misfire, and that was a spent casing that wasn't ejected fast enough and got caught in the bolt. I recently bought a 550 value brick of Federal copper plated and the rifle has problems with it. There doesn't seem to be enough blowback to activate the bolt and chamber the next round, I have to do it manually. I have also tried cci blazer 40 grain round nose with success.
    The Blazers and Remingtons both have higher muzzle energies than the Federal (135 and 150 vs 125 ft lbs respectively). I have some remington yellow jackets rated for 165 ft lbs. Next time I go shooting Ill have to try these to see if they cycle correctly. If they do it is compelling evidence that the bolt of the Marlin 60 requires a minimum energy in order to operate properly.
    Sounds to me like your gun might just need a good cleaning, and maybe a little polishing on the bolt.

    Only issue I has with any ammo in my 60SS was due to the recoil buffer disintegrating, it runs with whatever I put through it, including subsonic stuff.

  15. #15
    Major RandallOfLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    It's been my experience that misfires are due to the firing pin. At my range people leave 22lrs on the ground that have been misfired (stupid...). I never understood why people do that. So I pick them up, dust them off, and shoot them. They will probably go on internet forums and call the ammo junk.

  16. #16
    Major HighlandLofts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arlington WA.
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    I bought a Ruger Mark 2 stainless with the thick taper barrel from a friend last spring. He had the gun probably ten years or so, I showed him how to dis-assemble it and re-assemble on mine for cleaning purposes. He said he took it apart and throughly cleaned it. I finely took it out shooting a couple o weeks ago and it wouldn't fire, you pull the trigger and nothing. I took it home and tore it apart and it was full of grease like material, lint, dirt and hair. I sprayed it down with brake cleaner to break down the old oil & stuff, then cleaned the hell out of it and took it out the next day and was back in business.
    I'd say most of the problems with mis-fires is atributed to a dirty action. With you-tube there are many excellent videos on diss-assembly and re-assembly on almost att makes & model of firearms. I pick te ones I like for my guns and write the info for the video on a piece of paper and seal it up with clear contact paper and keep that information in my gun cleaning box for future use if I need to refreash my mind.
    Chicken Shoot and leftyz like this.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

  17. #17
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    7,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckyrifleman View Post
    My 60 likes the cheap remington gold stuff. I have only had one misfire, and that was a spent casing that wasn't ejected fast enough and got caught in the bolt. I recently bought a 550 value brick of Federal copper plated and the rifle has problems with it. There doesn't seem to be enough blowback to activate the bolt and chamber the next round, I have to do it manually. I have also tried cci blazer 40 grain round nose with success.
    The Blazers and Remingtons both have higher muzzle energies than the Federal (135 and 150 vs 125 ft lbs respectively). I have some remington yellow jackets rated for 165 ft lbs. Next time I go shooting Ill have to try these to see if they cycle correctly. If they do it is compelling evidence that the bolt of the Marlin 60 requires a minimum energy in order to operate properly.
    Look at the Federal. It should be a flat nose hollow point. If your model 60 is the "old style" it will not like the ammo at all. I have a couple of the "new" style 60's from the 1980's and they love the Federal and will stop functioning within 15 shots with the Remington because it's too dirty. Every gun has preferences to ammo and I think between yours and mine, we've pretty much confirmed that. Now .... on to the Glenfield (which BTW is the "Old" style)

    Marlin Glenfield 60 003.jpgMarlin Glenfield 60 004.jpgMarlin Glenfield 60 005.jpgMarlin Glenfield 60 002.jpgMarlin Glenfield 60 001.jpg
    leftyz and RandallOfLegend like this.
    http://www.chickenonaraft.com/

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  18. #18
    Captain Kentuckyrifleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North Chili, NY
    Posts
    953

    Default

    I bought my 60 brand new in 2011. First gun I ever bought.
    Chicken Shoot likes this.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

  19. #19
    Major atTheWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Monroe county
    Posts
    1,682

    Default

    My 60 does not like any subsonic but standard and high velocity are good to go and I concur with just keeping the OP's rifle in question.

  20. #20
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    7,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atTheWheels View Post
    My 60 does not like any subsonic but standard and high velocity are good to go and I concur with just keeping the OP's rifle in question.

    What was my question again?? Oh hell .... the very first rifle I received as a present from my parents, one of the Marlin mod 60's I have, WILL shoot subsonic and cycle fine. It could be because it's been used so much that the springs are getting weaker. I actually shot some CCI quiet out of it, but that didn't cycle so great. My pellet gun launches a pellet faster than that stuff. Hahaha
    http://www.chickenonaraft.com/

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  21. #21
    Sergeant KentGoldings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ulster County
    Posts
    477

    Default

    I just dropped $195 on a set of orthotics for my daughter... So I'm out.

  22. #22
    Silver Vendor Firefly Firearms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Schenectady
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    I recently put a K31 on layaway and I'm thinking of selling a Marlin/Glenfield .22LR which has the squirrel on the stock to come up with some $$ to put towards that K31. It has an 18rd tubular magazine which is exempt from the UNSAFE Act. What is something like this worth?? It's in Excellent Condition.
    $110-130 depending on condition.
    We are a small home based firearms business in the Capital District. We advertise on Gunbroker, NY Firearms, Facebook, and In House. All firearms we sell will remain for sale until a deposit is placed on the item or paid for in full. To contact us PLEASE use email - fireflyfirearms@gmail.com or call (518)225-2035. We do not check PM through the inbox on NYF on a regular basis. Thank You!

  23. #23
    Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    7,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly Firearms View Post
    $110-130 depending on condition.
    Dang... That's it? I'll keep the stupid thing then. LOL I was thinking that the 18rd tubular mag might have some sort of influence on the desirability. Thanks for the info Firefly!!
    Firefly Firearms likes this.
    http://www.chickenonaraft.com/

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  24. #24
    Major atTheWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Monroe county
    Posts
    1,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    What was my question again?? Oh hell .... the very first rifle I received as a present from my parents, one of the Marlin mod 60's I have, WILL shoot subsonic and cycle fine. It could be because it's been used so much that the springs are getting weaker. I actually shot some CCI quiet out of it, but that didn't cycle so great. My pellet gun launches a pellet faster than that stuff. Hahaha
    I'm hoping in a few more years mine will shoot subsonic stuff as well.

  25. #25
    Major RandallOfLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atTheWheels View Post
    I'm hoping in a few more years mine will shoot subsonic stuff as well.
    Aquila super extra subsonic 38 grain mostly work. I found that it jams on the first shot reliably. But once it manages to auto-load it works fine. I was shooting 1.5 inch black diameter targets at 50 yards, with full strings of 10 shots, and a 4 x 32.

    Anyone know why my 75C would fail to feed on the first shot, but after it autoloads once it's golden? It appears to be ammo related. High velocity ammo doesn't appear to do this. e.g. 31-32 grain 1400 fps. But that might just be a red herring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Done: Glenfield/Marlin 22
    By collector48 in forum Firearms For Sale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 07:59 PM
  2. Marlin Glenfield Model 60 Jamming issue
    By pontiacmrc1 in forum Rifles
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 06:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •