Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Not sure which range to choose in Monroe county

Default Not sure which range to choose in Monroe county

Hi guys. it took 9 months but my permit finally came in December, and i was able to pick up my shiny new pistols from the gun shop. I was hoping to get my permit while it was still warm outside so that i could shoot in the area my wife and i have set up in our corn field, but now it's January and I don't have snowshoes to get that far out in the field through a foot of snow. I was hoping some of you local folks could help me choose a gun club to join. I have pistols, and i'm looking into buying an AR15 at some point. I'd like an indoor range for winter shooting, and an outdoor range for nicer weather. I've never been part of a gun club so i don't really know what to expect. Is it the kind of thing that i can just go down there after work and shoot, or do most have activities or things going on most nights? I would definitely like to take some training courses. I looked at GCL's website, and it seems a little pricey to start but i've heard good things about it. I've heard about Rochester rifle club but don't know much about it. So any advice or ideas you guys have would be awesme Thanks

Bob

If you wait for the spring gun show at the dome, you can usually get a few bucks off on a GCL membership.
    I've heard more "unfriendly" things than good things about the Rochester Rifle club, but I wont try to sway anyone one way or another.

I usually make the hour hike out to the Buffalo area and shoot at the Niagara Gun Range. That works just fine for me until spring comes around and I get the GCL membership.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

Yeah I think I'm going to join GCL finally.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CoFounder of NYFirearms | Firearms Instructor | ADSI Member | NRA Instructor & Life Member | PDN Contributor

InkedUpGunFighter.com

RPD 46

GCL for me. I wanted someplace that had both an indoor pistol and outdoor rifle range. That limited me to pretty much one place in town.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Come see us on Tuesdays at GCL. It's a ton of fun!
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Corporal

I'm a member at Rochester Brooks. No indoor range, but their ranges aren't bad. Most of the club members shoot skeet/trap so the rifle range and pistol bays are usually deserted.

Membership only cost me $70 (no initiation fee) because I'm a non-resident (live more than 50 miles away - Buffalo).

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    Dave,

Can non-members stop by on Tuesday night and check things out?

Quote Originally Posted by firedoctor View Post
    Dave,

Can non-members stop by on Tuesday night and check things out?
    Non members can shoot tuesday nights too. Just have to take the orientation your first time.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Yep!

What DV said
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

Dave Jenkins,
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Non members can shoot tuesday nights too. Just have to take the orientation your first time.
    I will try to stop by tomorrow evening to look around and ask stupid questions.

I bet yours won't win!!!!

Dave Jenkins,

Thanks guys! Looks like the wife and I will be joining GCL.

Are you guys actually teaching on Tuesday nights, or just giving out tips or how does it work?

Private

I belong to both.
    RRC is very youth friendly. They have a very strong and dedicated youth program. Pretty much 24/7 access unless a scheduled activity is going on. No magnum rounds or rifles other than dedicated .22 - all at 50'. Air rifles and pistols can shoot closer. Inexpensive, indoor only.
    GCL has many ranges including outdoor rifle and pistol, archery and indoor pistol. It is considerably ore expensive especially with initiation fee. The March dome gun show special does help with that and yearly is fairly reasonable after.
    Both have some quirks and those uninformed/misinformed about state and club policies; including club officers. I have, almost without exception, found members at both to be helpful, safe and sane.
    There are other range out there and some are planning on adding pistol ranges, but in our area I think these are the top two unless you are after shotgun courses of fire.

Being more versatile and offering more, GCL is a better value for your money.

I'd like to hear about those misinformed tidbits at GCL...PM me

Dave Jenkins,

I joined the Rochester Rifle Club. its 60$/ year and its 24/7 access witch it nice when i get out of work late fri/sat night and its down the road. they do have a few strange rules. "no more than 5 rounds in the mag" "targets must be all the way back at the 15 meter backstop. no stopping at the 10 meater mark that is for pellet guns" But for the price I can deal with that
    Last edited by Flysh22; 01-28-2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: added stuff

its not the gun its the person behind it

Corporal

So can anybody tell me what range will allow my Barrett 50?

Quote Originally Posted by gman32586 View Post
    So can anybody tell me what range will allow my Barrett 50?
    If you're in in the Fulton or Syracuse area Pathfinder allows just about everything. I heard the Otisco club is good too.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Corporal

I'm in Rochester, anything around there?

Rochester Brooks. They have a gun that runs a 50 Barrett and a 416 Barret(I think), I know he has more then one and they have no issues with them.

As long as your safe when you shoot at Brooks they dont really care what you shoot, just what you shoot AT. They only allow paper and frown upon shooting TV's, cinder blocks and frying pans.
    Last edited by sdb3023; 01-28-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "Honor is due to those who went simply because they did."

RIT 2012

"If you survive that and continue, you will quickly experience rapid ventilation of your cranial vault with a 1-ounce slug." ~ Bob

Corporal

what do they charge membership wise?

They have some differnt memberships, and a ton of differnt shotgun sports.

This is the link to there membership page, but look around there website, tons of good info on the club.

http://www.rochesterbrooks.org/membership.html

BTW, Thank for doing what you do Gman.
    Last edited by sdb3023; 01-28-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Thank You

RIT 2012

"If you survive that and continue, you will quickly experience rapid ventilation of your cranial vault with a 1-ounce slug." ~ Bob

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by sdb3023 View Post
    Rochester Brooks. They have a gun that runs a 50 Barrett and a 416 Barret(I think), I know he has more then one and they have no issues with them.

As long as your safe when you shoot at Brooks they dont really care what you shoot, just what you shoot AT. They only allow paper and frown upon shooting TV's, cinder blocks and frying pans.
    another Rochester Brooks member here...

i love the place. nice and open, no "window" to shoot through like GCL (i'm not putting GCL down, but its the main reason i didnt join there along with no rapid fire). only busy time i was there was when i saw sdb3023, i think there were 7 people including the 3 of us.

they'll let you shoot any gun as long as its not explosive, or full auto. they do allow you to shoot stuff other than just paper; i see lots of fruit, soda cans, food cans, i brought something like 40lbs of pumpkins (lol), steel targets for .22... basically no "junk" and to clean up after yourself.

membership fees went up $25 from last year but its worth it.

I'll chime in too.....GCL has a rule that actually DOES allow rapid fire. You are allowed to shoot as fast as you want but every round MUST hit Your target. If you are blasting rounds downrange as fast as you can pull the trigger without regard to where the bullets are going, then you are not safe.

As for Brooks, you are not allowed to use anything other than paper, cardboard, or any other targets that will cause a ricochet or leave a lot of debris. We have found TV's, pots, pans, and other things used for targets That are just plain unsafe.

It used to be a free for all with people bringing all sorts of stuff there to shoot and then leaving it lying there on the range for others to pick up. The matches will still use steel and other targets but for casual shooters, you have to know that bringing old paint cans, pumpkins, and other yard debris to the club to shoot is not going to be allowed any more. Its dangerous and makes the club look like a junkyard. There is a small group of volunteers that are forced to pick up all the debris that is left by those that want to do whatever they please.

Take it from the group that is doing the new member safety course.

Also, there will be a new bunch of range safety officers soon......look for them, greet them, and help them keep the club safe.

Also, there will be a new bunch of range safety officers soon......look for them, greet them, and help them keep the club safe.
    Some of those RSO's might even be members on here! Dont worry, there not the range nazi type, in fact if they become range nazis they will be getting a stern talking to!

RIT 2012

Yep. They will...by me since I certified them....lol

Dave Jenkins,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast