Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Anyone have safety concerns at niagara gun range in wheatfield?

Sergeant

Default Anyone have safety concerns at niagara gun range in wheatfield?

I've been to Niagara on about 5 occasions now. Following things have happened:

1) First 3 times there, no range officer.
    2) Second time there, girl has a hang fire, gets flustered, and takes the pistol out of the range (Still loaded) to look for help.
    3) 3rd to last time I was there, 4 .. urban youths rented 2 AK's, and an AR. The range "posts" safety rules on the sides of the stalls, but does not offer/force a basic safety training when renting to people. People were leaning weapons muzzle down up against a wall outside of stalls, loading up mags and about to insert them outside of stalls, and didn't seem interested in keeping the gun pointed down range. Kids were shooting single handed w/the AK's, and from the hip like they saw in the movies. Priceless.
    4) First time I had my new pistol out, had a jam, and no one available to help me clear (partially my fault for not knowing in the first place, but it was my first time with my pistol on my own, and they should have had someone on duty.). At least I had the brains to leave the weapon pointing down range and find help.
    5) 2nd to last time there, 4 kids rented 2 ar's, and first thing they did was lay them down on the shelf in the stall pointing towards all the stalls next to them instead of down range (mine was first in line to take a round). Also, they had absolutely no clue how to close the bolt. I had to help, and last I checked I wasn't a paid range employee.

While I don't mind helping other shooters learn the sport, I do mind walking into a range and wondering if I'm going to get shot that day. There's a large diff IMO between unknowledgable, and unsafe. I've successfully taught my fiance, as well as my cousin to use / shoot pistol, keeping in mind and hammering in basic safety every time we're out.You'd think if a range rents, they'd make the renter take a mandatory safety course. Anyone else have issues with this lovely establishment? Their prices are absurd too - I'm in the process of trying to find a club that will fit my needs. I'd stop going, except there's no other public ranges in WNY, and especially none that I can shoot my AR at. So far it seems niagara sportsmans out in tonawanda may be my best bet. I like hamburg, but no rifle range. I'm open to suggestions - I'm looking for an indoor pistol range, outdoor rifle range for my AR, and trap.

Cheers!
    DannyDifalco likes this.

W o w...........
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    Ernest Hemingway, April 1936

The sheep pretend the wolf will never come; but the sheepdog live for that day.

RPD 46

That's the indoor rifle range, right? I went there and didn't see anything like that. I would have said something for sure.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Bob

I go there frequently, and I've never seen anything like that.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

I've never been to an indoor rifle range, but with the outside ranges (Elbridge, Otisco) all members are expected to be range officers. Afterall, keeping your mouth shut could cost you--or someone else--dearly.

Have you brought this matter up to whoever runs the joint and rents out the weapons?
    “Disconnect and self destruct one bullet at a time
    What's your rush, now? Everyone will have his day to die." -APC

This Too Shall Pass

Sergeant

I have - the owners wife (two times), and another employee (possibly owners son - it's a family owned place). First time the wife shrugged it off, her husband was "somewhere working on another part of the building". Second time she listened, and pointed out they had signs up. After that it was a while before I went back. The ar sweeping the rest of the range happened with the owner standing the next stall over, helping an attractive (and underage) girl shoot better while her dad looked on. The 4 novices next to me went 100% undetected. Last time I was there luckily the wife messed up and told us to go in when all the stalls were full. Her husband was there in the range, pointed out that his wife must not have been watching the cameras well, to go back out, and tell them to put us on the "other range". I didn't realize they had another besides the rifle one - i guess it's typically reserved for law enforcement (people who hopefully know what they're doing). We had it to ourselves. The other employee (possible son) was cleanin up the range, and we chatted with him about it. He actually seemed concerned - whether or not something actually gets done about it is hopefully something I won't need to go back to figure out anytime soon.

Common sense should tell you that 9x outta 10x that if you rent to someone who looks like they have no clue what's going on, they probably don't. Still boggles my mind how they can just hand over guns to people who have no knowledge of how to use them, and expect their establishment to be safe. I'd be more willing to assume someone who walks in with their own firearms to be more proficient and knowledgeable than someone who doesn't. I know that's not always the case, but still...

Dennis - if you're a member please feel free to chime in. I'd love to hear your philosophy on your range policies.

Another example of why education is important
    Wayloss likes this.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Private

I couldn't agree more Dave! I was literally beside myself when I read this thread!!!
    Last edited by Bob; 03-28-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Hrmmm. Interesting. I've never been there yet. Maybe I can go akimbo mode without getting in trouble? LOL

I've been there 4 times so far and I enjoy myself there. However, the wife up front is clueless to the business and is only capable of the basics to log you into the range. The ammo, except for shotgun slugs is overpriced, but they gotta make a dime somehow. The father and son are good dudes and very helpful if need be. The only instance that I remember is when 4 punk kids from Canada rented some firearms and one of them shot the metal rail on the moving target on purpose and it fell to the ground. We all had to clear our firearms and step back from the line while the owner went to retreive the fallen metal target holder. Other than that, I enjoy myself at Niagara range and plan to go back many times unless there is a closer or better alternative for me as I live in Hamburg. Don't let a few fools turn you away from a quality range. It's pretty much the best around the Buffalo area.

Private

I've witnessed a man pick up his pistol with his weak hand, step away from the firing line & the gun went off, he was startled & it fired again.[luckily both rounds went down-range] He told me he didn't know why it fired, i said cause you pulled the trigger. I then carefully took the pistol from him & unloaded it. He was teaching his grand-daughter how to shoot. Another guy stepped back from the line[to get into brighter light] with a loaded gun & was poking at the rear sight with a pocketknife, then stepped forward & fired. This is an un-controlled range, yer on yer own.

Sergeant

Terry, thanks for helping me feel like i wasn't loony tunes. "because you pulled the trigger" - novel idea. Keep your finger off the trigger, gun doesn't go bang. Simple safety that 's missed by many - especially it seems at that place.

public enemy - The wife definitely is clueless. If you're not shooting rifle - hamburg rod and gun club on wilcox is a friendly place. I'm 80% about to join..i just really want somewhere that isn't 200+ for a membership and can shoot my ar, has an indoor pistol range, and trap. Can't seem to find that around here.... I may give up the ar requirement, and go out to the "alabama swamps" and just wait my turn if i wanna shoot it on a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    go out to the "alabama swamps" and just wait my turn if i wanna shoot it on a weekend.
    If your going to drive out there consider joining Rochester Brooks, its a little farther then the swamp but they will cut you a price break because your a commuter. They have 50,100,200yd rifle, multiple pistol bays, trap, skeet, five stand, and sporting clays.
    "Honor is due to those who went simply because they did."

RIT 2012

"If you survive that and continue, you will quickly experience rapid ventilation of your cranial vault with a 1-ounce slug." ~ Bob

I shoot at the Tonawanda Wildlife Management agency. (i think that is where you are referring to when you said Alabama Swamps) I prefer to shoot there, no one is over your shoulder, TBH the other shooters are pretty safe, and I can shoot computers! (of course I always clean up after myself, not everyone does, but hey its more crap to shoot!) from buffalo its exit 48a, hang a left and go to the first traffic light, hang a left, first road hang a left, first road hang a right, go a mile down on the left to shoot rifles. shot gun I think can be shot anywhere. I went to the niagara gun range once, after firing about 50 8mm rounds the guy in the next stall asked me what I was shooting and I told him, he said I might get in trouble shooting jacketed rounds in there. I actually didn't see the sign saying no jacketed round. I shot another 25 rounds and left. I can say I have not seen any non-jacketed rounds for my Mauser, and the chick at the counter seen what i was shooting and seen the orange fragments sparking about and never said nothing so i just assumed it was alright. w/e I don't want to put that much thought into shooting, rules etc... bah, just want to shoot at the target and hit it. No range officer there at all, also I know a few people that go there with guns that are "hyped up" because they are oblivious, and lack a personal inside the stalls.

if you are in buffalo there is a gun range for pistol on Sheridan and grand island blvd called the Mohawk club. they don't do anything bigger then 22 in rifle.

lol at inner city youth using ak.... complete stereotype.

Sergeant

Silver - that is the place I was referring to - out in akron. Tried to get the 1 time. every berm was occupied, and all but one had at least another group waiting. Didn't wanna sit there for 2 hrs waiting for one to open up. As far as jacketed rounds at niag - that's all i put through my AR, and have done it there everytime I went. Never saw a sign not to either, and will continue to throw them down till I see a sign or am told not to. Only thing I got a lecture on one time was the size of the shotgun rounds I was going to fire.

I have heard of mohawk, ten x, hamburg, grand island, tonawanda sportsmen...and i think alden:

Mohawk - only pistol.
    Ten x - not bad, but have a work requirement, dues, and fees. I wanna go shoot, and go home. I have a job - not interested in working at the range I pay to use. Plus is that it has everything i'd want, including 24 hr swipe pistol range. Bad part is they make you wait a trial period for some reason before giving you indoor range access.
    Grand island - cold feel from the members when i went as a guest, no indoor pistol. Can shoot pistol outdoors, but have to move back if someone wants to shoot rifle and take turns. Not bad, but not good either.
    Hamburg - no rifle range. Guys are friendly, pistol range is usually deserted.
    Tonawanda sportsmen - have everything i want and then some, but are awful damn expensive.

you can shoot jacketed there, you can't shoot steel core, tracer or armor piercing. I've been a few times with out issue. Expensive thou. Rumor on the streets is a new indoor range is coming in Cheektavegas.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Sergeant

that'd be fantastic ..you know where or when?

That is why they have the bullet resistant dividers in the stalls. If there is a problem go get the owners.
    I am a member there. Why? Because I just pay my money show up and leave when I want and they are open 8 to 9.
    Is there a disproportionate number of morons there? YES! But you know what it is still the most headache free club in WNY. Oh and I can shoot during the winter. 50 Yards indoor.
    Last time I was there was stereotype day. A scary Hmong guy who could shoot squirrels nuts off a squirrel at 1000 yards, followed by some trailer trash with his pants sitting barley above his knees who *****ed about spending 1000$ bucks on a S&W AR15 flat-top, but did not want to spend they money on backup irons. So he had some ****ty chinese red dot on his AR no irons and was unable to zero it in at 25 FEET (yes 25 feet I measured) after over 80 rounds. And there was a gaggle of Buffalo hoods who were the smartest bunch on the range. Despite the fact that they could not hit **** and got all excited and hollered whenever they managed to even hit the target at arms reach they were smart enough to pay the owner to teach them how to use the firearm and not shoot themselves.

Oh the idiots who see **** on TV and slap it on their rifle. I seen 2 people with vertical foregrips. They looked like they were having a heart attack while whacking off holding those foregrips, and the shotgun birdshot patterns to with the retarded grip, at pistol ranges no less.
    Any effort to rationalize the use of this revolver in a serious combative scenario is evidence of intellectual bankruptcy.
    -kmussack

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    that'd be fantastic ..you know where or when?
    I don't know if it;s public knowledge yet so I'm not saying anything.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

I like Hamburg for skeet/trap only. You cant even shoot FMJ rounds at their pistol range. I was denied with jacketed .45 ACP ammo. Anyone ever been to Eden, Brant/Evans, or Blasdell ranges? Any feedback on these clubs?

Sergeant

Petrov - yes, they have the bullet resistant dividers...key word is resistant. When I'm standing in the next stall over and there's a 5.56 ar pointed my way, I'm not going to put my faith in the divider. Yes, I can go get dennis, but 9x outta 10 he's nowhere to be found, and his wife won't leave the register..tried that once. It's easier to just correct the stupidity myself, but it's kinda hard to have a good time shooting for me when i constantly have to be looking over my shoulder to make sure the yahoo next to me isn't going to kill me. Most headache free club in wny? Have to argue that. I think about all the clubs locally but two have no work requirements if that's what you mean. I like to pay, shoot, and leave also.

Public - yea, it sucks you can't shoot jacketed indoor - but then again the lead reloads are cheaper anywho - and I clean my gun anyway so I'm not gonna get too flustered about it.

Evil - even if it's a membership type range, I'd still be interested in getting some details.

Private

I heard the distinct sound [from behind me] of a semi-auto shotgun chambering a round. There is a guy loading his shotgun [while talking to his young son] 10 ft behind us. I yelled ' hey, move up & load your gun at the firing line ' . He said ' ok.. sorry '
    Just another typical day at NGR

i go there all the time and luckily i have not had the pleasure of having idiots on the range. i can say everytime im there there is no range officer they just have a camera and their tv at the front counter. some rules are not inforced. i have been there a few times when people rapid fired 2+ magazines. i will continue to go there atleast until i run into any problems with anyone there.

Evil- really interested in anything you know about a new gun range.

Corporal

I have shot there several times and did not have any problems or idiots on the range. The only people in the range at the Last time i was their were 2 LEO's shooting and they were great guys. And they sure could shoot good, better than a lot of people i have shot with over the years. Anyway my trips to NGR have been positive, no problems. If i did see someone donig something stupid, i would speak up on the spot.

Corporal

I have been there twice, both times were good. Last time though somone complained to my friend that his Kel-Tec PF-9 was "Throwing Brass Everywhere". Had our group slightly puzzled trying to figure out percisely how to teach his Semi-auto to behave and not "throw brass everywhere." He was in his bay with the handgun downrange at all times....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast