I've been to Niagara on about 5 occasions now. Following things have happened:
1) First 3 times there, no range officer.
2) Second time there, girl has a hang fire, gets flustered, and takes the pistol out of the range (Still loaded) to look for help.
3) 3rd to last time I was there, 4 .. urban youths rented 2 AK's, and an AR. The range "posts" safety rules on the sides of the stalls, but does not offer/force a basic safety training when renting to people. People were leaning weapons muzzle down up against a wall outside of stalls, loading up mags and about to insert them outside of stalls, and didn't seem interested in keeping the gun pointed down range. Kids were shooting single handed w/the AK's, and from the hip like they saw in the movies. Priceless.
4) First time I had my new pistol out, had a jam, and no one available to help me clear (partially my fault for not knowing in the first place, but it was my first time with my pistol on my own, and they should have had someone on duty.). At least I had the brains to leave the weapon pointing down range and find help.
5) 2nd to last time there, 4 kids rented 2 ar's, and first thing they did was lay them down on the shelf in the stall pointing towards all the stalls next to them instead of down range (mine was first in line to take a round). Also, they had absolutely no clue how to close the bolt. I had to help, and last I checked I wasn't a paid range employee.
While I don't mind helping other shooters learn the sport, I do mind walking into a range and wondering if I'm going to get shot that day. There's a large diff IMO between unknowledgable, and unsafe. I've successfully taught my fiance, as well as my cousin to use / shoot pistol, keeping in mind and hammering in basic safety every time we're out.You'd think if a range rents, they'd make the renter take a mandatory safety course. Anyone else have issues with this lovely establishment? Their prices are absurd too - I'm in the process of trying to find a club that will fit my needs. I'd stop going, except there's no other public ranges in WNY, and especially none that I can shoot my AR at. So far it seems niagara sportsmans out in tonawanda may be my best bet. I like hamburg, but no rifle range. I'm open to suggestions - I'm looking for an indoor pistol range, outdoor rifle range for my AR, and trap.