Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MDX

Thread: Does a NY'er need a NJ Firearms ID card to shoot at a NJ range?

Default Does a NY'er need a NJ Firearms ID card to shoot at a NJ range?

I live in Rockland County, NY about 5 minutes to the NJ border. There appears to be a nice range(Cherry Ridge) within reasonable driving distance. Does anyone know if I need a NJ firearms ID card to go shooting there?

This document appears to answer my question, but it's dated 2006. #4b seems to indicate it's OK as long as the firearm is properly secured and locked in your trunk.
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

From the NRA document:
    It is unlawful to knowingly possess any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a Permit to Carry, and it is unlawful to knowingly possess any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID), however, no Permit to Carry or FID is required:

1. To keep or carry any firearm about a personís place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location.

2. To carry any firearm unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported and the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, from one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair.

3. To transport such firearms as necessary for target practice, in the manner described in paragraph 2 above, by a member of a gun club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice in going to or from a place of target practice, provided the club has filed a copy of its charter with the Superintendent of State Police and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent.

4. To transport any firearm, in the manner described in paragraph 2 above, while traveling:

a. Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided such person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license.

b. Directly to or from any target range or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions.

As a secondary question, does anyone here have any experience at Cherry Ridge?

MDX

Hey, I am a member there. No nj ids are needed.

MDX

Great facilty! Very clean and professional..

MDX

Cherry Ridge is about 1 hour from rockland. it is open every day of the year except xmas and some workdays. nice ride and easy to get too. the facilities are very clean and orgainized. The main problem you will have is how many guns to bring . there is seperate rimfire, mixed 100, 100, 200, 300 , shotgun, 3d archery and hangun ranges. weekends get crowded but I usually go on weekdays and plenty of room.

You can sign up online and pay dues or attend any of the range safety briefings and pay. if you call the phone # they will give the dates. you must complete the 2 hour class before you can use the range. There is a clubhouse and a range officer that lives onsite. you are allowed one guest and its $25 for the day for the guest.

The range has been there for over 70 years and is tucked away in a watershed area so will never be devloped around it.

They have no issue with NY members and it is owned/managed by the very outspoken and politically active NJ rifle and pistol association. They gave out a card in a recent newsletter to keep with your ID to hand an officer to remind them of your rights while transporting firearms, IF it came to that.... If you request they will add you to a list the NJSP maintains of active members. I follow all transportation guidelines, do not bring anything hollowpoint or preban mags (NJ doesnt allow anything preban). Nobody would check or care but I do not want to push the envelope. NJ mag limits is 15 though. cherry ridge does not limit rounds in magazine or rapid fire, unless it is being done in an unsafe manner. with any range safety is key, they claim to never to have had a serious accident in over 70 years and lets keep that going!
    Last edited by MDX; 05-16-2011 at 09:43 AM.

I did many training classes there as well as taught at several Ladies Day, youth day, etc. Awesome club, great people (one of the range officers could have a bit more tact) but I always had good experiences there.

Sergeant

So does this mean that I can bring my NY licensed handgun into NJ and shoot at said range without any problems? If I get pulled over in NJ on the way, as long as I say that I was going to one of these ranges, I'd be ok as long as everything is unloaded and locked in the trunk? ie. no licensing necessary for out of state handguns?

New Jersey's State Police website link: New Jersey State Police - New Jersey Firearm Laws

I believe you can use preban mags that are 15 rounders. Anything up to 15 is all that matters. How much is Cherry Ridge's membership now?

Quote Originally Posted by MDX View Post
    . I follow all transportation guidelines, do not bring anything hollowpoint or preban mags (NJ doesnt allow anything preban). Nobody would check or care but I do not want to push the envelope. NJ mag limits is 15 though. cherry ridge does not limit rounds in magazine or rapid fire, unless it is being done in an unsafe manner. with any range safety is key, they claim to never to have had a serious accident in over 70 years and lets keep that going!
    so you're saying my pre-ban 15's i had to buy for NY are illegal in NJ.
    but if i buy a 15 round post-ban that would be illegal in NY i would be OK in NJ?
    huh?
    Last edited by Doc8404; 05-22-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Rob / Doc
    Master Chief
    HMCM(AW/FMF)
    DROWING article worth reading http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8362...ning-must-read

Corrected, under age 60, Adult range is 190, then 132 renewal per year.

Thanks for the link, MDX.
    Last edited by Bigbertha; 05-25-2011 at 01:04 PM.

MDX

MDX

I beleive this is more an issue for preban AR or AK 30 rounders. I have never had anyone look at my mags but I only bring 10 round mags with me. I havent really seen anyone with more than a 15 round mag either.

I am not a lawyer and or a rep of the range. I beleive if you keep mags 15 and under you should be ok. I just keep it all 10 rounds, bring extra mags and an uplula and Im all set. To play it safe I would only use what your home state allows and is not illegal in the visiting state, ie preban mags with more than 15 rounds. Your preban mags that are 15 rounds should be OK, the preban aspect just means they are old for NJ as 15 rounds is legal...

This range is very safety concious but mature as well. The only thing I have seen the state not allowed is any armor piercing, inciendary, tracer ammo, automatic weapons...

Captain

Getting back to the original thread/OP's question... Where is it written that it's legal for a NY'er to take handguns to NJ for recreational shooting?

MDX

Quote Originally Posted by Heuy View Post
    Getting back to the original thread/OP's question... Where is it written that it's legal for a NY'er to take handguns to NJ for recreational shooting?
    NRA-ILA ::

under NJ

Various exceptions apply. An FPIC or carry license is not required for transporting a rifle, shotgun, or handgun from the place of purchase to the person’s residence or place of business, for transporting a rifle or shotgun between a residence and place of business or between businesses and residences when moving, or for transporting a rifle or shotgun between a residence or business and a place of repair for the purpose of repair. A member of a qualifying rifle or pistol club may transport “such firearms as are necessary for … target practice” when traveling to or from a place of target practice.

An FPIC or handgun carry permit is also not required by a person transporting any firearm while traveling directly to or from: (1) any place for the purpose of hunting, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting license; (2) any target range or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap, or skeet shooting exhibitions; or (3) any exhibition or display of firearms that meets various qualifications specified by law or in rules promulgated by the Superintendent of State Police, who must be notified of the exhibition or display at least 30 days in advance.

Any firearm being transported in a vehicle for any of these purposes “shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in [sic] the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary.”

Yes you may shoot in NJ. Travel point A to point B (range), leaving B going directly back to A (home). No stops. Keep ammo in a separate sealed container from the firearm. You can't buy ammo in NJ so bring enough of your own. Somebody in NJ can get into trouble supplying you if you run out so don't plan on asking. Only a NJ resident with a NJ F-ID card can buy ammo in NJ. It's messed up if you ask me.

Private

As a NY resident, do I need a Firearm ID card to buy a shotgun in NJ privately?

Private

As a NY resident you cannot buy any guns in NJ and you cannot get a NJ FID card. Those are for residents. You can go to a range or go hunting in NJ with your guns. You cannot hunt with a handgun in NJ but you can bring it to shoot at a range. They do not register guns in nj unless you are buying it in NJ.. I used to live there.. Cherry ridge is an awesome range. Gets really busy though. You can shoot your 15 round mags in your pistols but leave your pre ban rifle mags at home.. NJ does not recognize pre ban.. 15 rounds is the max for rifles too.. You cannot bring your pre ban ar's and such either. Same post ban rules on the "assault rifles".. you cannot have any pre ban configurations.

MDX

Quote Originally Posted by drivingtacs View Post
    As a NY resident you cannot buy any guns in NJ and you cannot get a NJ FID card. Those are for residents. You can go to a range or go hunting in NJ with your guns. You cannot hunt with a handgun in NJ but you can bring it to shoot at a range. They do not register guns in nj unless you are buying it in NJ.. I used to live there.. Cherry ridge is an awesome range. Gets really busy though. You can shoot your 15 round mags in your pistols but leave your pre ban rifle mags at home.. NJ does not recognize pre ban.. 15 rounds is the max for rifles too.. You cannot bring your pre ban ar's and such either. Same post ban rules on the "assault rifles".. you cannot have any pre ban configurations.
    Please check your facts... NY and NJ touch so you can buy long guns as long as they are legal. so only 10 round mags from NJ. NY gunshops around here have guns marked for NJ only with 12 rd magazines....

Non residents most certainly can get NJ FIDS.... have to apply with NJSP barracks.

New Jersey State Police - FAQ's - Frequently Asked Questions

You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway).

For any further information outlining specific requirements, contact your local police department or nearest New Jersey State Police station
    Last edited by MDX; 01-05-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    .357MagNYC likes this.