Close

Private

Default Shooting Range Regulations

I am interested in opening a shooting range in my area, I have the land already picked out but I am in need of any and all rules and regulations to operate a range in New York State, any information would be helpful and appreciated.

You should probably start with the town to see if it's allowed by zoning.

Is this for your own use or something you want to open to the public?

Private

Well in the grand scheme of things I would like to make it open to the public, or make it a club open to members, trying to find out what will be the least painful way to go about this, if I can go about this, as far as zoning I have no problems with that, It is the state regs, that may hold me up.

I would start with a lawyer who is familiar with business law if you want to have something open to members or the public.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Start with an informal chat with the town/city supervisor and the code enforcement person. See what you can do to make them comfortable in allowing this. They have to be able to justify your existence as a range or shooting area when someone complains about it. (they will)

DEC may weigh in depending on where you are and what is around you.

Then, check the zoning, get the proper application in, and work through the system.

Here's the ugly truth: Opening a range for public use is going to be an immense expense. The insurance will be very expensive. You will have to ensure that you have more than adequate parking, handicapped access to every inch of the place, proper facilities (restrooms), fire code and a ton of other details. Believe me, I have done the research.

Now, making your club a membership club is a little more advantageous. You can hand select who joins, how many, and under what conditions. You will still have to acquire insurance but it will be less than the public option. There are lots more details to your advantage with a membership option.

I also suggest going to one of the NRA Range Conferences. There is a ton of info for you to gain and to help avoid any pitfalls.

Let me know by email if you need more, I've done a lot of the research for myself already and have no problem sharing
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Also remember that if your range (or conservation club or whatever it ends up being) is member owned that helps protect you (the club) against lawsuits by members.

Captain

As Dave siad go to the NRA conference .I did to try and open and indoor range here in Kent. I did a lot of research into ranges. Let me know if I can help you out.

Sergeant

I haven't done too much research, but IIRC if you go members only and require all of your members to be NRA members, they will help with some funding as well. Look into it - don't quote me on it.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    I haven't done too much research, but IIRC if you go members only and require all of your members to be NRA members, they will help with some funding as well. Look into it - don't quote me on it.
    They may help you, if all members are NRA members. There is no guarantee. The amount given is $5,000 annually, and you have to reapply for the grant every year. More info here: NRA Shooting Range Services.

Private

They will also want something for record keeping to show how much lead is being shot into your backstop.

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    Start with an informal chat with the town/city supervisor and the code enforcement person. See what you can do to make them comfortable in allowing this. They have to be able to justify your existence as a range or shooting area when someone complains about it. (they will)
    I've seen some shady zoning dealings. I would talk to a lawyer first and then the town so they don't pass some kind of motion after they hear about your range but before you get things going.

I've talked to a few different town boards and the led in the backstop issue was never an issue. If it's a private range, there's only a tiny bit of oversight. If it's public, then the DEC would like you to have a lead abatement program set up. We had to do that for GCL. I can fill you in at some point if you feel it may be required.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Private

Barrel - Do you have any info on Putnam County and the process required to build an indoor range for LE and Private Citizens...?

Stay safe,

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
    As Dave siad go to the NRA conference .I did to try and open and indoor range here in Kent. I did a lot of research into ranges. Let me know if I can help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post

DEC may weigh in depending on where you are and what is around you.

Then, check the zoning, get the proper application in, and work through the system.

Here's the ugly truth: Opening a range for public use is going to be an immense expense. The insurance will be very expensive. You will have to ensure that you have more than adequate parking, handicapped access to every inch of the place, proper facilities (restrooms), fire code and a ton of other details. Believe me, I have done the research.

Now, making your club a membership club is a little more advantageous. You can hand select who joins, how many, and under what conditions. You will still have to acquire insurance but it will be less than the public option. There are lots more details to your advantage with a membership option.

I also suggest going to one of the NRA Range Conferences. There is a ton of info for you to gain and to help avoid any pitfalls.

Let me know by email if you need more, I've done a lot of the research for myself already and have no problem sharing
    Hey RPD...do you remember "magnum Gun Range" in the fetner/Ridge Plaza? I wish that place was still open. very close to where i live and would have been nice to use. I believe it was in the basement? Kinda strange how a plaza like that would allow it there but hey, sure would have been nice.
    I think another factor while on the subject is to also talk to your insurance company as I would assume the cost of insurance alone would be rather high due to the possible dangers involved.