Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Blue Mountain Sportsman Center

Private

Question Blue Mountain Sportsman Center

Plan on visiting soon to shoot my 308. Anything I should know before getting there? Strange regulations? Do they have anything longer than 100yd?

Major

to my knowledge, they have a separate pistol and rifle range. I think it's around $6/hour. On the rifle range you are not allowed to have more than one (1) round in the rifle at any given time. You are told by the range officer to shoot, then inspect your target, then reload, and repeat. I believe the pistol rage is more realistic. Anyone with more info chime in please, this is what I've been told by others who have been there in the past.
    jba999 likes this.

They have a "large bore" rifle range at distances of 100 and 200 yards. They provide standard targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekmtbr89 View Post
    to my knowledge, they have a separate pistol and rifle range. I think it's around $6/hour. On the rifle range you are not allowed to have more than one (1) round in the rifle at any given time. You are told by the range officer to shoot, then inspect your target, then reload, and repeat. I believe the pistol rage is more realistic. Anyone with more info chime in please, this is what I've been told by others who have been there in the past.
    I don't know about that one shot and check target though. I was at the small bore range recently sighting in my 22 mag. you shoot in one hour increments, and there are spotting scopes available and they provide the targets. Nice place and freindly range officers. I think they only have a 100 yard large bore range.

Private

Thanks for the info guys!

Major

Give them a call ( 914 ) 862-5280 enjoy the ride
    Last edited by GOYABEAN; 07-10-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Major

Give them a call ( 914 ) 862-5280 enjoy the ride .

You might also want to check out the range at Calverton. www.calshoot.com. 50, 100 and 200 yd ranges

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenDee View Post
    I don't know about that one shot and check target though. I was at the small bore range recently sighting in my 22 mag. you shoot in one hour increments, and there are spotting scopes available and they provide the targets. Nice place and freindly range officers. I think they only have a 100 yard large bore range.
    When you go to the large bore range, if you don't ask they will put you at 100 yards(the left side of the range.) If you ask for a 200 yard target, you will be directed to the far right side of the range. Sometimes they have metal plates hung at 150+ yards. Great place to shoot your bolt action.

If you go to the small bore range, I believe it's 50 yards and you can load a maximum of 5 rounds and must fire in a controlled manner.

Calverton is 80 miles away plus tolls and gas. Don't think about going Thurs or Fri because of traffic either. I go to LonGuyland often.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeachObama View Post
    Calverton is 80 miles away plus tolls and gas. Don't think about going Thurs or Fri because of traffic either. I go to LonGuyland often.
    I know, but OP lives in Brooklyn, which is why I suggested it.

Private

Im in queens and itching to shoot outdoors. Do blue mountain or calverton have pistol ranges? Is it worth the trip for handguns or should i stick to indoor ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Imlikeaninja View Post
    Im in queens and itching to shoot outdoors. Do blue mountain or calverton have pistol ranges? Is it worth the trip for handguns or should i stick to indoor ranges?
    blue mountain does and check the calverton website, I've never been there

Corporal

Can you shoot prone at Blue Mountain or just off the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by mister ouchie View Post
    Can you shoot prone at Blue Mountain or just off the bench?

Just off the bench AFAIK.

This is an old thread, but I figured i'd put my 2 cents in anyway. I just got back from this range today, with a less than stellar experience. The only good news about it is that you can fire pretty much anything you want, and they have a lot of range space to fire (skeet, small bore, pistol, large bore, etc). The big downside that makes this place miserable to go to is how over-regulated it is. It is almost impossible to enjoy yourself and train on a large bore rifle with park rangers looking over your shoulder, enforcing every tiny rule. Common sense safety is one thing, ridiculously tedious regulation is another. You can only load one round at a time, so if you want to test out how your rifle chambers a round or if your magazine is good, this is not the place to go. You can't stand, you can only fire while benched. Rangers are rude and don't treat you like a responsible firearm owning adult, but like a child (as seems to be the case in NY as a state, especially Westchester county). Dozens of other ludicrous non-common sense rules make this place an unpleasant shooting experience. Can't speak for the small bore range, but I won't be going back. Sorry for the negative news but I figure anyone searching this thread/forum needs to know how this place operates.
    snkypete and DrgnFly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0311 View Post
    This is an old thread, but I figured i'd put my 2 cents in anyway. I just got back from this range today, with a less than stellar experience. The only good news about it is that you can fire pretty much anything you want, and they have a lot of range space to fire (skeet, small bore, pistol, large bore, etc). The big downside that makes this place miserable to go to is how over-regulated it is. It is almost impossible to enjoy yourself and train on a large bore rifle with park rangers looking over your shoulder, enforcing every tiny rule. Common sense safety is one thing, ridiculously tedious regulation is another. You can only load one round at a time, so if you want to test out how your rifle chambers a round or if your magazine is good, this is not the place to go. You can't stand, you can only fire while benched. Rangers are rude and don't treat you like a responsible firearm owning adult, but like a child (as seems to be the case in NY as a state, especially Westchester county). Dozens of other ludicrous non-common sense rules make this place an unpleasant shooting experience. Can't speak for the small bore range, but I won't be going back. Sorry for the negative news but I figure anyone searching this thread/forum needs to know how this place operates.
    Welcome to the forum! That's what you get with a county operated range, they are covering there ass. I am more than sure if you ask about some other ranges in the area you may find some place more to your liking.

Agreed. I went on Saturday, around 1pm.

I've been there twice, this second time only going because I was shooting a friends AR... and figured I would hit the pistol range while I was there. As you have said, way to over-regulated. I don't enjoy having these older gentlemen with their range officer badge hovering behind me as I'm shooting on the line as if I'm doing something wrong. Then while reloading after their 5 rounds per clip rule...having them stand in the next lane looking at me.

Also the rifle range was a turn off, 1 round at a time.. bench firing.

Luckily a friend of mine just got some farm land locally, and I won't need to worry about this any more.

Sergeant

Steve, I've been there many times and find your feedback to be accurate. The rules are annoying. There are a few range officers that are very helpful and friendly, some more so than others. Hank down at the international skeet range is great and so is Walt over at small bore.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

You guys need to make friends with someone that can get you on the police ranges.
    minderasr, DrgnFly and Schofield6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    You guys need to make friends with someone that can get you on the police ranges.
    Yeah let me know Lol.

Are there any other ranges good to shoot an AR at? Other than blue mountain ?

Wooster Mtn in Danbury.

Other than that I think you need to be a member everywhere else.

Sergeant

Wooster Mtn in Danbury.

Other than that I think you need to be a member everywhere else.
    Ive been wanting to try Wooster Mt .. Is it AR and AK friendly? AKs illegal in CT?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DROCK View Post
    Ive been wanting to try Wooster Mt .. Is it AR and AK friendly? AKs illegal in CT?
    I'd have to look up the laws but I think AKs are banned by name.

They have been AR friendly in the past. Newtown is right next door though so hopefully perception hasn't changed that.

WOOSTER MOUNTAIN SHOOTING RANGE'S SCHEDULE
    Training continues throughout the year.The range will open for pistol & rifle shooting mid April 2012.
    Wednesdays open at 1:00 pm until 7:00 pm.
    Saturdays open at noon until 6:00 pm.
    Sundays open at noon until 5:00 pm.

The range is open for trap year round on Tuesdays from 10:00 am until sunset.
    RANGE OPERATION

Wooster Mt is managed by DSSA. Range operations are announced at 203-794-9821.

I'd have to look up the laws but I think AKs are banned by name.

They have been AR friendly in the past. Newtown is right next door though so hopefully perception hasn't changed that.
    Hmm good point about Newtown, would probably call before I try and go over there. Is it the same as blue mountain with the 1 round at a time with the AR?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast