New York Firearms Forum banner

Proposed Gun Range in Depew New York (Buffalo Area)

27K views 211 replies 68 participants last post by  Evild 
#1 ·
Proposed Gun Range in Depew New York (Buffalo Area)

Public Hearing for License and Occupancy Permit

Depew Town Hall Feb 2nd at 7PM

Be There! Show support! Get Involved!

More details to follow, but this range could be open by June.

#118 ·
Apparently the town board has to change firearm rules in the town before it can be ok'd. West Seneca planners table proposal for indoor gun range - City & Region - The Buffalo News
Restrictions in West Seneca's town code prevented the town's Planning Board from moving forward Thursday on a proposal to develop a 27,000-square-foot indoor public gun range on North America and Ransier drives, according to Shawn P. Martin, town attorney.

A request for a special permit made by Ransier Development Corp. to change the zoning classification of the parcel where it plans to build the indoor shooting range designed for long gun, pistol and bow target practice was tabled by the Planning Board just minutes after a hastily called executive session.

"Issues regarding firearms are specifically reserved to the Town Board," said Martin, explaining that current prohibitions in Section 74 of the town's code would legally restrict any action the Planning Board could have taken Thursday.

According to Section 74: "All persons, firms, corporations or associations are hereby prohibited ... within ... the town of West Seneca from using and discharging any firearms unless the same be by permission granted in writing by the town board." Offenders would be guilty of a violation, the code stipulates, and punishable by a fine up to $250 or 15 days in jail for each offense.

As quickly as the agenda item came to the floor, members of the Planning Board, Martin and the petitioners from Ransier retreated outside of the public meeting. When they returned, Planning Board members tabled the measure without any further discussion.

"This issue is going to be addressed at Monday's Town Board meeting," explained Martin without elaborating.

It appeared that Planning Board members were advised they were precluded from granting any such approval on the issue before them Thursday without express permission for firearm use granted by the Town Board.

It remained unclear whether that permission would need to be granted only to the developer and owners of the range or to each and every public patron using it.

Those were issues that town officials said they'd need to hammer out in the coming days.

Among the Town Board's options at Monday's meeting could be expressly granting that permission to Ransier to operate the gun range or amending Sec. 74 and any other pertinent sections of the town code with respect to discharging firearms.

#122 ·
This is awesome news. June is a stone throw away and they will be getting my business 100%! Also, thanks for the article Mark, I had no idea there was a range proposal in West Seneca. That would be even closer to me and sweet as pie.

#126 ·
A difinative First person update

Had to pick up my taxes from my tax guy who lives in Depew. I drove by the new range and Ken was standing in the parking lot. I pulled in and he invited me in for a tour.
All I can say is I had no idea it was this big of a project.

The construction which is major is progressing. I am talking major work has been done. Double walled filled cinder block just to name a part of it. All the walls are in but the mortar has to dry before painting. (40 pallets and 2 cement trucks worth) Once the walls are painted the finishing phase begins.

I am not trying to BS anybody here, I can truthfully say without a doubt; The wait is going to be well worth it.
When completed this will be a state of the art, first class shooting range with an indoor 50 yard rifle range. 50' pistol range. Indoor 3D archery range and Archery lanes as well as a shooting simulator. There will also be a retail store for guns and ammo, gun rental, and concessions. The only thing I may have left out is a classroom for meetings and training.

I really had no idea of the extent of work that was involved.

The plan as of now is to open sometime in June.
Now that is assuming that there are no hiccups or unforeseen circumstances between now and then.

This aint gonna be a backstop in a pole barn. I am talking State of the Art facility a place you would be proud to take your mother.

I can honestly say our patience will be rewarded.

#131 ·
I want to purchase a membership already. Do they have a website yet?

#136 ·
I drove by late last night and saw a few vehicles in the parking. I cant wait for them to open. I've known about this place for almost a year now, and its been a long wait but will be well worth it, I've met some of the guys with this company, everyone seems very friendly. Should be a great place to go.

#145 ·
Stopped in last night. Ken will be speaking at the Erie County SCOPE Meeting tonight.

Range is complete with targets hanging. Now they are working on the details no floor in yet or furniture etc.
Five more weeks to go.
Will know more tomorrow.

SCOPE meeting is at VFW Post 8113 also know as The Chicken Coop, 299 Lydecker Rd. in West Seneca. @ 7:00PM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.