Rochester NY (surrounding area) Ranges?
Close

Private

Default Rochester NY (surrounding area) Ranges?

Ok, so I own an AR15, 12 Ga, and .22 is there any range, indoor or out that i can shoot all 3 types at?

So far everything is either recommendation only, or 200+, or i have to help run the club or this and that.

I just want a place to go shoot around a couple times a year when my schedule frees up instead of looking at my rifle sit and stare with sorrow!

So any information or recommendations would be appreciated so i can get back into my passion that i had noooo troubles with in KY!!!

Thanks

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

What part of Rochester do you live in - east, west, south side? Or does driving distance not matter?

Genesee Conservation League is in Rochester. I am a member there. We have an indoor range for pistols below 1,500 fps which also allows.22LR out of rifles. We have an outdoor rifle range up to 200 yards (25 yards minimum), and an outdoor pistol range up to 50 yards (also allows .22LR rifles). There are archery ranges and some pistol ranges which allow movement and drawing from holster.

Shotgun is slugs only, on the rifle range. There is a shotgun station for patterning but the closest target holder is 25 yards, I find that with my HD shotgun I only get a couple pellets on target at that range. I take it out once a year or so to shoot slugs. There is an excellent trap/skeet club in the area as well called Outlet.

Fees will be about $300 for the first year including all ranges, and about $150 a year after. The indoor range is additional; if you don't spring for that subtract about $40 from both.

When I did my search, the only other close choice was Rochester Rifle Club. They have limitations like 5 rounds max loaded and no rapid fire. I was not interested in that.

Rochester Brooks is a great club too, I've taken classes there but am not a member. No indoor range there though. I find the indoor range to be a huge value add 9 months out of the year. Rochester winters may be new to you coming from KY, but you won't want to spend a lot of time shooting outside when its 4 degrees
    NRA Instructor
    NRA Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Genesee Conservation League is in Rochester. I am a member there. We have an indoor range for pistols below 1,500 fps which also allows.22LR out of rifles. We have an outdoor rifle range up to 200 yards (25 yards minimum), and an outdoor pistol range up to 50 yards (also allows .22LR rifles). There are archery ranges and some pistol ranges which allow movement and drawing from holster.

Shotgun is slugs only, on the rifle range. There is a shotgun station for patterning but the closest target holder is 25 yards, I find that with my HD shotgun I only get a couple pellets on target at that range. I take it out once a year or so to shoot slugs. There is an excellent trap/skeet club in the area as well called Outlet.

Fees will be about $300 for the first year including all ranges, and about $150 a year after. The indoor range is additional; if you don't spring for that subtract about $40 from both.

When I did my search, the only other close choice was Rochester Rifle Club. They have limitations like 5 rounds max loaded and no rapid fire. I was not interested in that.

Rochester Brooks is a great club too, I've taken classes there but am not a member. No indoor range there though. I find the indoor range to be a huge value add 9 months out of the year. Rochester winters may be new to you coming from KY, but you won't want to spend a lot of time shooting outside when its 4 degrees
    I think the RRC also requires that members belong to the NRA.

I belong to GCL and opt for the indoor range, dues are $160 or so IIRR. I live closer to Brooks but I don't shoot shotgun, so that doesn't interest me.

To run out and pop off a few rounds I may look into Lima but I don't know if the "reference required" is a hard rule or not. I don't mind the work requirement, if you've been to the outdoor pistol range at GCL lately I've been the one repairing the target holders gratis.
    ”No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Camper4lyfe View Post
    I think the RRC also requires that members belong to the NRA.
    It does, but you also have no ability to shoot anything greater than your .22 or a handgun. No AR/Shotgun options there either.
    http://www.facebook.com/nyfirearms

NRA member, SCOPE NY member, NYSRPA member

Tim

For your needs GCL or Rochester Brooks are probably your best options. As mentioned Rochester Brooks doesn't have any indoor ranges which may matter a lot to you in the winter.

However GCL's initial costs can be fairly offputting. Keep an eye out during the gun show in March where they will occasionally offer to waive the initiation fees.

I suspect any place that requires a referral, you could get one through the forum here...
    NRA Instructor
    NRA Member

If you're just interested in casual plinking, too, there's always the Alabama Swamps. No admission fee or anything, just don't make a mess of it. Bit of a drive from Rochester, unfortunately.

Bob

You didn't say if you are on the east side or the west side. Canandaigua Sportsmens Club is just a few minutes off Exit 44 on the t-way, which is only five minutes from 490. They're about $100 a year.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

Tim

There's also Ontario Rod and Gun on the East side

+1 on Ontario - that's why I asked where OP lived. $60 a year, one-time range orientation / gate access gizmo fee of another $40. Three covered bench rifle range with 50, 100, 200 yards. Berm enclosed pistol / tactical range with 50 yard depth. Steel Challenge type matches and tactical rifle matches. AR friendly. All expressway from the city but for the last couple miles. Contact forum member "bear arms" for more information.

Holley Rod and Gun Club, dues are about 40 bucks a year, the shoot trap every thursday and I suppose you could throw your own clays if you wanted anytime. They have a 100 yard, and 50 yard rifle range as well as a 15 yard pistol range.

Private

Thanks to all who have chimed in so far!!
    To those who asked, I live in Brighton, but I am open for a 20-30 min drive. From the posts, I will look into Ontario Rod, Holley Rod, Canandagua and Genesee and do some comparisons. AR and 22 will mostly be what i shoot until i get my permit here.

Private

How often are the trap/skeet fields open at GCL? I'm looking into joining a new club, I shoot a little bit of everything, rifle, pistol and shotgun. The price is a little steep to join, compared to my current club. Just seeing if the more expensive fee is worth the change in club.

Quote Originally Posted by blnk1228 View Post
    How often are the trap/skeet fields open at GCL? I'm looking into joining a new club, I shoot a little bit of everything, rifle, pistol and shotgun. The price is a little steep to join, compared to my current club. Just seeing if the more expensive fee is worth the change in club.
    GCL always has a club Official on duty when club is open. Stop by there any time while open. If you go , Go into club house and ask anyone for help. Also I am VP of Ontairo Rod and gun, Please except my invite to shoot at our Club as my Guest , Maybe tommarro if you can. i'll be there til about 2 or 3 pm. Good Luck KEN
    There can be No Free speech, No Freedom from Oppression, No Freedom to Worship your God, No Freedom to speak your mind, No Freedom from Fear, No Freedom for your children or theirs for anyone anywhere Without the 2ndAmendment and The Freedom to Fight for it. CHARLTON HESTON

Sergeant

GCL does not have Trap/skeet. I believe many years ago they did, but not any more, indoor pistol/rimfire rifle range, outdoor pistol and seperate rifle range. Great club though, so is Ontario and Canandaigua.

The story I got on the GCL trap / skeet range was that Manitou was going to sell their place but they were worried about issues with all the lead shot in the pond. They asked GCL not to shoot shotgun there anymore.
    ”No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Private

Quote Originally Posted by bear arms View Post
    GCL always has a club Official on duty when club is open. Stop by there any time while open. If you go , Go into club house and ask anyone for help. Also I am VP of Ontairo Rod and gun, Please except my invite to shoot at our Club as my Guest , Maybe tommarro if you can. i'll be there til about 2 or 3 pm. Good Luck KEN
    Thanks for the open invite, couldn't make a range trip today. I currently belong to Williamson rod & gun, and I don't have any complaints about the place, I especially enjoy the sporting clay course. Just looking to keep my options open and see what else is out there.

Major

Just to toss this in here, Brockport Conservation Club had an outdoor 120yard range for large caliber pistol and rifle, or shotgun w/ slug. We shoot trap every Monday night, sporterifle (.22 rifle @ 50') Tuesday and Friday, and pistol league on Thursday night (starting in January - .22 only til spring).
    We also have an indoor 50' only .22 range for pistol or rifle.
    Dues are $100/yr.
    you can shoot your AR at the outdoor range, 12 gauge - depends on what kind of shot you want to use, and .22 either indoor or outdoor.

you can PM me with any questions. We are just off Rt 19, so not too far from Brighton, a little closer than Holley is.

I've been checking out clubs south of Roch for pistol, rifle and home defense shotguns as I live in Avon. Conesus Sportsman Club has good trap/skeet ranges and 1 pistol range. Also has 1 indoor range for non- mag lead only loads. $50 yearly. Has steak dinners monthly also.
    I really like Brooks Club. Yearly fee is pricey but I really like the pistol/rifle ranges. They have 8 ranges total. All are separated by huge dirt berms. Most of the ranges you have to yourself as they are smaller. A couple are meant to share as they are wider to accommodate more people. 1 range has 50,100 and 200 yard targets.
    If you want to practice your draw an fire from 5 yards you can.
    You also don't have to donate your time to work
    just my opinion

oh if you join Brooks at the Roch Gun Show they waive the $50 intro fee
    Last edited by Gtnorry; 12-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.

drg

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post

i belong to GCL and Canandaigua ...

both are nice places ..GCL great for indoor shooting

Private

I was a member at Rochester Brooks for 2 years. I have to say it might have the nicest facility of any range I have visited. I would go every Wednesday night to shoot Skeet or 5-stand under the stadium lighting and then hit the member's bar for a few cheap beers. Good times The 200 yard rifle range is nice. Good backstops everywhere. I hope you're a student somewhere. You can get a great rate.

Private

I just joined NRA. Sent in the check and application. So I dont have my card yet. I just bought a new Smith and Wesson 9 mm and already own a Taurus 38 special since 1989. And an Ithaca model 37 deluxe w vent rib barrel. Mint condition. Have not hunted since 1991. I wish to find a place to shoot.

Sergeant

Ontario rod and gun, or Williamson gun club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickb57 View Post
    I just joined NRA. Sent in the check and application. So I dont have my card yet. I just bought a new Smith and Wesson 9 mm and already own a Taurus 38 special since 1989. And an Ithaca model 37 deluxe w vent rib barrel. Mint condition. Have not hunted since 1991. I wish to find a place to shoot.