Clubs/private ranges (rifle) on Long Island?
Close

Private

Default Clubs/private ranges (rifle) on Long Island?

Hello all,
    This is my first post here, so please excuse if I missed protocol.
    I recently bought my first gun in NY, then bought a second I have experience shooting, but it's been a few years, and NY laws are a bit different from the ones in Texas that I was familiar with 20 years ago. Basically, Texas law said I couldn't shoot anyone without a good reason. NY says I can only fire my weapon in specific locations, can only put 7 bullets in my clip, and best not look to the west while holding my gun...
    I'm hoping to find a group of like minded individuals to shoot with and talk about guns and local gun laws/restrictions. I'm not licensed to carry/own a pistol, yet. I'd love to learn the ins and outs of acquiring a concealed carry license in NYS (I know NYC will never allow it).
    To expand a little on NYS clip size restrictions;
    I like to follow the law, I see no benefit in giving the authorities a reason to take my guns away. In an attempt to stay legal, I went into my local sporting goods store asking for a new law compliant 7 round clip for my Saiga .223. I was told that not only is there currently no such thing as a 7 round clip, but nobody was going to make them, either. I asked about the law, and was told that I can continue to use my 10 round clip(s), just don't load more than 7 rounds. Am I the only one that finds this beyond ridiculous?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Private

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
    Hello all,
    I recently bought my first gun in NY, then bought a second I have experience shooting, but it's been a few years, and NY laws are a bit different from the ones in Texas that I was familiar with 20 years ago. Basically, Texas law said I couldn't shoot anyone without a good reason. NY says I can only fire my weapon in specific locations, can only put 7 bullets in my clip, and best not look to the west while holding my gun...
    I'm hoping to find a group of like minded individuals to shoot with and talk about guns and local gun laws/restrictions. I'm not licensed to carry/own a pistol, yet. I'd love to learn the ins and outs of acquiring a concealed carry license in NYS (I know NYC will never allow it).
    I like to follow the law, I see no benefit in giving the authorities a reason to take my guns away. In an attempt to stay legal, I went into my local sporting goods store asking for a new law compliant 7 round clip for my Saiga .223. I was told that not only is there currently no such thing as a 7 round clip, but nobody was going to make them, either. I asked about the law, and was told that I can continue to use my 10 round clip(s), just don't load more than 7 rounds. Am I the only one that finds this beyond ridiculous?

Welcome to the site!

Corporal

welcome join us on 2/28 a trip to Albany meet like minded Long Islanders fighting to protect ours and our childrens rights

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

THere are plenty of posts that explain the 7 rd only allowed in a 10rd clip. Welcome to the site !
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Gun Control ! Works great if you control the guns. Those with the guns control !
    NRA / NYSRPA

Calverton (Off Exit 71 on the 495) is a Privately owned range. 200, 100, 50 yard targets and a rifle/shotgun range. It's all outdoors and is only open on the weekends this month. Great place. $15 admission fee per person for as long as you want. Make sure you bring some tacks or something to hang your targets up with too...it's a bit shoddy.

Low fire only. Already been there twice when guys had fully automatic firearms. One guy was from the DHS and the other guy was a police officer (I think). Everyone always stops shooting and stares at them. Pretty funny and sad at the same time.
    I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country

Deo et Patriæ

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Hello all,

Lucky Larry there is an indoor range near Eisenhower park in east meadow. You should check it out as there are no restrictions for membership it is a public range.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Gun Control ! Works great if you control the guns. Those with the guns control !
    NRA / NYSRPA

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    welcome join us on 2/28 a trip to Albany meet like minded Long Islanders fighting to protect ours and our childrens rights
    I am an NRA member and I know about that rally. I'm sure I'd be comfortable with that group, and I'd like very much to support the NRA that way, but I just can't swing it. I know this is an important one, but I'm sure there will be more. The political winds are blowing in an anti 2nd amendment direction. The up side to that, I know I'm not the only one that just started buying guns because of the fear that politicians will try to prevent me (and you, and everyone else) from owning them as we go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob11 View Post
    Calverton (Off Exit 71 on the 495) is a Privately owned range. 200, 100, 50 yard targets and a rifle/shotgun range. It's all outdoors and is only open on the weekends this month. Great place. $15 admission fee per person for as long as you want. Make sure you bring some tacks or something to hang your targets up with too...it's a bit shoddy.
    Low fire only. Already been there twice when guys had fully automatic firearms. One guy was from the DHS and the other guy was a police officer (I think). Everyone always stops shooting and stares at them. Pretty funny and sad at the same time.
    I did know that Calverton had a range, I didn't know that they were only open on weekends while it's cold out., but that makes sense for an outdoor range. I work off exit 57, so shooting there after work is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by delandres View Post
    Lucky Larry there is an indoor range near Eisenhower park in east meadow. You should check it out as there are no restrictions for membership it is a public range.
    That's the Nassau County range. I've been there twice. I don't have anything to compare it to, but $25.00 for a 3 year leisure pass and $10.00/hr to shoot isn't bad, I guess.
    What I'm really looking for is more of a club atmosphere, a place where folks sit and talk weapons and ammo, then go let some lead fly. I'm also very interested in obtaining a pistol permit. It would be great to be able to talk with people that have experience with the process.

I am an NRA member and I know about that rally. I'm sure I'd be comfortable with that group, and I'd like very much to support the NRA that way, but I just can't swing it. I know this is an important one, but I'm sure there will be more. The political winds are blowing in an anti 2nd amendment direction. The up side to that, I know I'm not the only one that just started buying guns because of the fear that politicians will try to prevent me (and you, and everyone else) from owning them as we go forward.

I did know that Calverton had a range, I didn't know that they were only open on weekends while it's cold out., but that makes sense for an outdoor range. I work off exit 57, so shooting there after work is an option.

That's the Nassau County range. I've been there twice. I don't have anything to compare it to, but $25.00 for a 3 year leisure pass and $10.00/hr to shoot isn't bad, I guess.
    What I'm really looking for is more of a club atmosphere, a place where folks sit and talk weapons and ammo, then go let some lead fly. I'm also very interested in obtaining a pistol permit. It would be great to be able to talk with people that have experience with the process.
    I have the place for you then. It is the Freeport rifle and revolver club inn Freeport. I belong there and it is a great club. The fee is $300 to join the first year and then $175 each year afterwards.

NRA / NYSRPA

Corporal

Larry - LIE exit 68 north to 25 east exit. Range on the left about 200 yards down the road. Nicer than Calverton, they even have staple guns(loaded) to hang your targets with. I think its called Birdghampton or something, only place ill shoot on Long Island. 50, 100, 200, Skeet / trap. Office has a gun shop(mimimal guns, but ammo -targets- coffee etc etc) Range officers also get in people's faces if they act stupid, where as Calverton makes me feel like im gonna get shot.
    forever banned

Private

Quote Originally Posted by delandres View Post
    I have the place for you then. It is the Freeport rifle and revolver club inn Freeport. I belong there and it is a great club. The fee is $300 to join the first year and then $175 each year afterwards.
    This looks like it may be exactly what I was hoping to find. I'm going to do a search and look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikebigh View Post
    Larry - LIE exit 68 north to 25 east exit. Range on the left about 200 yards down the road. Nicer than Calverton, they even have staple guns(loaded) to hang your targets with. I think its called Birdghampton or something, only place ill shoot on Long Island. 50, 100, 200, Skeet / trap. Office has a gun shop(mimimal guns, but ammo -targets- coffee etc etc) Range officers also get in people's faces if they act stupid, where as Calverton makes me feel like im gonna get shot.
    This is a bit closer to work (Ex 57) than Calverton, and you certainly made it sound like a much better place to shoot. No doubt I'll be checking them out in the near future.
    Many thanks for the tips, guys!